New WPL Ural truck sound board, help needed please

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

New WPL Ural truck sound board, help needed please

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I was not sure where to post this as its an electronics problem but familiarity with the WPL trucks would also help, so......

I've just completely dismantled my new WPL rtr Ural communications truck and painted the new finish. The steering servo and esc are all on the same circuit board as the receiver and, though not especially good, they both work smoothly so I'll be retaining them. So what's the problem?

I want to add a sound board and all the boards l know operate the engine sound by using the esc signal that cones from the receiver to the esc. It was simple to plug the BEC lead into the sound card and then forward the signal to the esc. However, with all the components being on one circuit board there appears to be no way of capturing the throttle signal. Indeed, there is no guarantee the signal is a standard receiver to esc compliant format. So there is the problem. Are there sound systems that are controlled by, say, the current in the motor leads? Any ideas would be welcome. Otherwise it'll be a new hobby standard receiver, esc and servo. :'(
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: New WPL Ural truck sound board, help needed please

Post by Tiger6 »

I think you are looking at option "otherwise" - the throttle is on/off even if it was a pwm signal being transmitted.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Tiger6 wrote:I think you are looking at option "otherwise" - the throttle is on/off even if it was a pwm signal being transmitted.
No the Ural is fully proportional but that doesn't really help when the recivers intergrated. I think a new each/reciver is needed
General Jumbo01

If the electronics were up to WPL's usual standard this thread wouldn't exist! No, both steering and throttle are fully proportional and worth saving. I'm wondering if a cheap second receiver could be fitted and bound simply to provide an esc output - l wonder what might be compatable with the transmitter?

I know it would cost less than 20 quid to refit the electronics with new receiver, esc and servo but everything looks neat and tidy in that single, working box!
General Jumbo01

It's not like me but I've given in! I did consider buying a GT Power MFU to do all sorts of tricks for next to nothing but instead have resorted to my spares box and a new esc. The standard servo is a normal micro type with a BEC lead/plug so that will stay and a spare channel switch (2 in 1) will turn on/off front and rear lights plus a lamp in the comms centre. I'm also fitting flashing amber lights in the cab roof (2mm lighthouse type fit well). I considered a 2 speed box but that would be a couple of weeks away so we'll see. Photos/vid will follow when complete but l have to say what a well detailed model this is and once toned down with a coat of matt colour it stands up well.against other much pricier kits. Do the Tamiya trucks have opening doors with detailed door cards in the cab?!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I got mine, too, and also have the kit so I think I'll build that and paint as I go. What are you going to use for sounds? Will you run the lights off rx power? Before you take things apart, maybe check voltage at the LEDs? I'm wondering if the board puts out 3.7 volts for the LEDs, and if 5 volts would burn them out. I'm sure it would shorten the lifespan, but maybe not by too much. Are you going to do tail lights? I have files for some good tail light buckets for 5mm LEDs, so maybe I'll see what I can come up with.

phpBB [video]

These trucks are really getting better and better. I've been looking at the tanker trucks. And I had to order more receivers. I tried binding a flysky 6 channel RX to the 3 channel TX with no joy. It acted properly at first, power up, get flash, hold bind button and power TX and RX light goes solid, but nothing worked after that. If anyone has any ideas I'll make a video. For my Ural I might use a 6 channel TX/RX and add some more features, like making the antenna mast raise and lower? There's sooo much space in there, maybe a rotating searchlight on the roof? Maybe a smoker unit? I don't want to get too far from accurate, but I still don't really know what accurate is. I'll have to research and see what truck they used for a model and what variants they had.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Max-U52 wrote:I got mine, too, and also have the kit so I think I'll build that and paint as I go. What are you going to use for sounds? Will you run the lights off rx power? Before you take things apart, maybe check voltage at the LEDs? I'm wondering if the board puts out 3.7 volts for the LEDs, and if 5 volts would burn them out. I'm sure it would shorten the lifespan, but maybe not by too much. Are you going to do tail lights? I have files for some good tail light buckets for 5mm LEDs, so maybe I'll see what I can come up with.

phpBB [video]

These trucks are really getting better and better. I've been looking at the tanker trucks. And I had to order more receivers. I tried binding a flysky 6 channel RX to the 3 channel TX with no joy. It acted properly at first, power up, get flash, hold bind button and power TX and RX light goes solid, but nothing worked after that. If anyone has any ideas I'll make a video. For my Ural I might use a 6 channel TX/RX and add some more features, like making the antenna mast raise and lower? There's sooo much space in there, maybe a rotating searchlight on the roof? Maybe a smoker unit? I don't want to get too far from accurate, but I still don't really know what accurate is. I'll have to research and see what truck they used for a model and what variants they had.
The videos I'd seen before it was released showed the spare moving as it should so both doors could open, will be interesting to see if mine does when it arrives
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Yes, Tom, it moves the way it should to open the door, I'm just a little slow and didn't want to force anything. Once I knew just where to squeeze it popped right open and the rack swings out of the way. I'm interested to see if the door hinges hold up, and I'm trying to figger a way to partition the inside so I can have some detail and still space for gadgetry. A mast that elevates would be very cool. I'm not really that impressed with the new tires. They have so little contact at the attachment edge that they come off pretty easy. Might need a touch of loctite 410. I may try the older style tires to see if they perform better. I had a front tire that was a bit deformed but I swapped it for the spare and all is well.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01

I'll be using the sound board l use in all my WPL etc trucks, the one sold for under 15 quid on Banggood. I've already fitted working rear lights, 2mm lighthouse LEDs drilled through the plastic ones and then coated in Revells 'clear red'. These are 6v, fine for the 5-6v receiver feed which are switchable from a 2in1 channel switch from yet another i6 (£22 a couple of days ago!). Anything over 3mm would be too bright. I'm also fitting a switchable internal cabin.light. BTW, l will probably end up.fitting a full size Lipo in the cabin.

My reason for posting though......
Does anyone have a photograph of this vehicle or detailed plan with the mast erected? I too was planning to be able to lift it, mane even extend it?
General Jumbo01

Its finished, but still l can't find a photo or drawing with the radio mast extended so I'm not able to progress that, yet!

All the lights are switchable and work nicely, including the cabin interior ones, but the headlights are rather dim. They all run off the ESC 5-6v BEC supply but maybe the supply from the WPL mfu was higher. I may refit the bulbs with 6v 3mm white. The sound gear was easy to fit with so much cabin space.

Only one aspect lets it down, its the over springy and undamped suspension, not helped by the sloppy wheel fitting and the new soft tyres which are almost round! There no room for shocks so l may try small foam blocks to steady the chassis.

Can you spot the country? North Korean.ImageImage

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”