FEHRMANN GRUPPE TIGER 05

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
philipat
Sergeant

Re: FEHRMANN GRUPPE TIGER 05

Post by philipat »

So, how are they different? Are you using a Taigen V3 or V2?

When I did my PzIV the Taigen V2 was an easy plug-n-play with the HL. It used the same plugs and all. But, I have no experience with the V3.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im using V3. There is no difference apart from the track recoil disable switch.
I do not have the compatible 8 pin cable and the hull connection plug to suit this.
I have a V2 set here as well and its got a different cable set up in it.
Im certain once the plug & cable arrives I will be in business.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Im using V3. There is no difference apart from the track recoil disable switch.
I do not have the compatible 8 pin cable and the hull connection plug to suit this.
I have a V2 set here as well and its got a different cable set up in it.
Im certain once the plug & cable arrives I will be in business.
Cool. I didn't realize the 8-pin cable was different.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The missing link arrived today.
Huge thanks to Mr Ozarmour for his advice, information and support of the bits I needed. He was not obliged nor responsible for the issues Im having, but he sure has been instrumental in getting it sorted. Theres one for the "recommended Vendors" section for sure. :clap:
A Taigen upper hull plug, and correct cable.
Also, an H/L 8-3-3-2 upper hull plug just in case.
The Taigen one worked first go after a test run.
I soldered the rotation into the right spot onto the plug board using a tail cable with a female plug to accept the male rotation cable plug.Makes any rotation unit swap over easier.
I did try the H/L 8-3-3-2 version(same as what I had) & cable, and the result was the same failure.
Cyclic Elevation only, no rotation, no fire control.
Now with the Taigen plug and cable, I have correct control.
The flasher unit also plays a vital part in making the Taigen system function.
Other boards do not require the flash & plugs to make the system work, but the Taigen system relies on all the functions being connected to operate properly.

So as of now, all I need to do is get the micro switch in a better spot to ensure the right timing of the gun sounds & Im done for the electronics muck-around.
Then I can secure the hull halves, and complete the finishing on the outside.
Close now, real close. :/

No pics of this as in all honesty it looks like a cross between a page from Panzer Wrecks and a noodle factory explosion :{ :shh:
Once I get the micro switch sorted and the internals cleaned up, I will put a pic up.
BUT, lesson here is for those of you that want to use V3 Taigen electronics in older(rx18 that is) H/L tanks, you will need the matching Taigen upper hull plug, and the matching 8 pin cable.
This of course will also depend on the recoil system-if used- so as to ensure the recoil/elevation unit operates correctly.

Ok, I'm into the micro switch now.......................
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Micro switch fitted to OEM spot............check
Recoil activation functions...................check
Gunfire sound & flash function.............check
Making all that work off the stick..........fail

The slide on the recoil /elevation unit does not go back far enough for the gusset on the slide to tag the microswitch and close the loop.
Simple enough problem once identified, but the barrel is somehow sticking inside the mantlet and not allowing enough travel.
I have used high density foam to pack around the mantlet pivot and assembly to try to reduce 'bounce' during normal tank travel and I reckon thats a part cause of some unseen interference to the barrel action.
More work to do yet before I can close the hull. :/

At least now its mechanical not electronic so I can overcome it.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

WD40..........THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER USE" !!!

Sprayed a bit in the necessary moving bits and voila.................simple solution in the end.The slide travels far enough to trip the microswitch and enable the flash & gunfire function.

As of just now, the hull is sealed up tight, full test done of the turret in every position, tests done of the barrel in every elevation/depression, everything works.
Geartrain greased.
Now I can get this done.

Thanks to Mr Ozarmour for the Taigen documents and necessary guidance to help get the new electronics over the line.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Gonna do a video?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Could do, would need to figure that out.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

:thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Almost done now.
Ran a full battery through it on a test run.
Have a bit of adjusting to do on the left track, but it ran without fault.
I've added a tow cable in the ready use position, just need to blend the pigment on as required to get the joints looking right.
Perhaps a steel helmet, but other than those, its done.
Attachments
PA200050.JPG
PA200049.JPG
PA200048.JPG
PA200047.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”