Hi from the Isle of Wight

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
n0bby
Recruit

Hi from the Isle of Wight

Post by n0bby »

Hello fellow armour fans,

I thought I'd say "hi!", as I've been lurking around these forums for a while now, gaining intel on members' projects and your great work, to transfer (hopefully) over to my own efforts.

I'm Neil (known by friends/colleagues as Nobby) and I'm from a little place we call "The Island".

My route into larger scale armour is probably not too unfamiliar to some of you - basically I've come to realize that my eyesight is getting too poor, and I'm becoming far too clumsy, to carry on building 1/35 scale models! So I began looking at getting into a larger scale, and fell into it through purchase of the Hobby Boss Tiger I, which is what's currently semi-built on the table behind me.

I'm coming at this from a "try not to spend a ton on it" angle, and so the Heng Long RC tanks also looked very appealing... So far I've added to the stash a PzIII Tauch (currently stripped down ready for repainting in grey), a PzIV (I'm planning to add full Schürzen to it), a KT with "Porsche" turret and a slightly battered, cheap HL Tiger I off Ebay. Static stash comprises a Hobby Boss and Trumpeter T34, Trumpeter SU100 and the Panda 38T. so, LOTS to do!

I'm not aware of any local RC tank battle club, and my interest is more in achieving a decent-looking static model than something to drive around. However, I used to race RC off-roaders and spent the past couple of years building my own quadcopters - so there's a good chance I'll end up keeping the RC components (and adding to them!) of at least a couple of tanks.

I may try to blog the progress on some of the tanks, but my progress is always sporadic and I have a horrible habit of not finishing! You'd think blogging might help in that department, but it didn't seem to work on the Military Modelling site, where I had probably half a dozen 1/35 armour projects on the go and only 1 finished! :)
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Hi from the Isle of Wight

Post by Ad Lav »

Welcome along!

We have a club in worthing and one in Tunbridge Wells, which happens to be in two weeks.

Worthing run in the summer and we take over the winter meets.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi welcome to the forum, another club is Portsmouth model boat club ,they run tanks along with there landing craft (might be worth a look),Worthing not to far but may depend on Sunday ferries .Going to a meeting can save you a load of money the guys at meeting usually know all the best ways to upgrade tanks.

regards pete
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Well remembered Pete - I forgot Portsmouth do tanks and boats :)
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Ha! Fat Fingers syndrome. This is the time when you purchase more tweezers, wear a camping head lamp and don't study photos of your models anymore! However, it just increases the challenge and the pleasure when you complete a detailed model.

Going to a bigger scale should, you'd have thought, helped but all it does is add greater levels of tiny detail and ultimately just use more storage space!! Its great though. And don't worry about all those unmade kits - its what we model makers call 'security' ;)

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
n0bby
Recruit

Post by n0bby »

Heh, thanks for the welcome! I'll see whether I can make it over to the mainland for a "local" meet. Funny - one of my uncles was an RC boat maker and lived in Southsea - he used to take me down to the boating lake to sail his boats when I was a youngster. Damn, that's going back some years. He also worked for TV, and his boats featured in various programmes such as (IIRC) The Saint.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Welcome along Nobby
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Introduce Yourself”