Rock Crawler

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Rock Crawler

Post by wibblywobbly »

Jeez, you are lucky having terrain like that to play on. There is nothing around my parts that comes remotely close, though if my house move goes through that may all change and I will have a giant RC playground to take advantage of. :thumbup:

Stripped the whole rear off the Landrover and ditched the spare wheel, jack and fuel can, and will fit a replacement small bumper, will do the same at the front. I should get a lot better clearance that way. Keep reading about failed steering servo's...??
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Yes the steering servo is the trucks week link, it WILL let go.... trust me and it'll make sure it's in the worst possible place! LOL!

Too bad you have no trails like those that truck is a LOT of fun! Now that I've had my surgery and am just waiting to get back to 100% (6 weeks at least) I'll get more videos for you. You should see some of the trails I have locally to me or within an hour drive! Beautiful!

Even better, the doctor has said that going for walks will actually help my recovery! So even the wife is behind me playing with with my truck.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Very glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery, fingers crossed that life only gets better. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Thank you sir. Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

No worries...it's good to talk. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Whilst waiting for various bits to arrive that will allow me to finish the JS3, I have been doing a military truck that will fit the FTX Mauler chassis. It's an odd size, so after discovering that there are no lexan shells that will fit, I decided to look at alternatives. By reverse scaling the wheelbase to 1:1 I was able to Google the dimensions and discovered one vehicle that fits. It's a Steyr, so I found a blueprint and fired up Openscad. The cab is huge, so it has taken a long while to compete that, in addition to which something happened to the filament on my last reel which messed up the printing big time.

Two new reels arrived, and normal service was resumed. The cab is done, just doing the bumper. It has taken hours and hours to print the parts as they are so large, but I am getting there. I'm using styrene for the rear as it is quicker than printing big flat panels. I have a new esc coming that will slow it down a bit, and I'm hoping that I can turn it into an all terrain truck, rather than a crawler.
Attachments
IMG_20180629_122817.jpg
IMG_20180629_122859.jpg
IMG_20180629_122849.jpg
steyr.png
steyr.png (17.61 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
steyr_12m18.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

To show my ignorance, what's the difference between an all terrain truck and a rock crawler, please?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

silversurfer1947 wrote:To show my ignorance, what's the difference between an all terrain truck and a rock crawler, please?
A rock crawler is geared VERY VERY low so it can crawl over the terrain. It can go places that an all terrain truck wouldn't dare. They have things like ultra high hp engines, locking front and rear differentials, locking transfer cases, portal axles, bead lock tires and wheels, run very low air pressure in the tires, rubber compounds are extremely soft and almost sticky to help them go up trails that are almost vertical.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It should be able to cope with all of the earth trails and ascents/descents, but it will fail miserably over tree roots, steep cambers and rough rocks. This one is likely to have a high centre of gravity, and after I have replaced the 2.2" wheels with 1.9" ones it will also have reduced ground clearance. It 'might' clamber over the rough stuff but I am not really expecting it to.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”