IDF Sherman

dabber
Lance Corporal

Re: IDF Sherman

Post by dabber »

Here we go....... as mentioned I got this Sherman easy8 from a friend, who also got it from a friend, she was very well built but showing her age slightly.

Time for an upgrade, as I really like the Tamiya IDF M50-51 decided this was kinda golden opportunity and the way to go, Radical yes, but doable and should look OK, you may have a different view after looking at the progress.

Ordered some Tamiya parts from a well know German supplier...... sprues with jerry cans ammo boxes, spare wheels tracks etc, you know the stuff thats hard to make from scratch. Also Adlav kindly sold me the barrel and muzzle brake, which looks very nicely made.

Went to town on the weld lines as there weren't any, and texturised the turret and upper hull with Mr Surfacer to simulate casting marks. Also build the rear underside stuff with engine access hatch (a little oversized I know). Tried to alter the existing rear hull access hatch to a later version, didn't really work so decided to make my own, turned out semi OK, if a little out of proportion. But, liveable.

Made up spare track stowages, side locker, also made up/fitted and detailed smoke launchers. Had a go at the jerry can stowage, quite pleased with them. She’s not accurate, but I like to think a little interesting.

Well thats a start, a little more detailing with small chain and other stuff, then the fun starts. I’ve never used an air brush before so, could all go horribly wrong very quickly.......right.

Gary
Last edited by dabber on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care..........Gary
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Great start. Look forward to seeing it in colour :)

I did load some photos.
dabber
Lance Corporal

Post by dabber »

Laid down the first base coats of IDF sand grey on the lower and upper hull. She still looks a little patchy, gonna leave her overnight to cure off.

Have to say never used a airbrush before but, I am really enjoying this so far.

Thanks for looking.

Gary
Last edited by dabber on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care..........Gary
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

looking great :)
dabber
Lance Corporal

Post by dabber »

Many thanks Adam.......I’ll post more images of further progress later.

Gary
Take care..........Gary
dabber
Lance Corporal

Post by dabber »

A quick question please...... What type/manufacturers gloss clear coat do you recomend? prior to applying washes and streaks.
Take care..........Gary
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

dabber wrote:A quick question please...... What type/manufacturers gloss clear coat do you recomend? prior to applying washes and streaks.

Tbh I've never bothered
dabber
Lance Corporal

Post by dabber »

Thanks for that, and the kind words.

As I’m a complete novice to this weathering lark think I’ll use a gloss coat as I’m bound to muck up, and at least the basecoat is protected.

Think I’ll use Alclad ll as my local model shop stocks it. I’ll get some and wack it on today, overnight drying should be long enough.......right.
Take care..........Gary
dabber
Lance Corporal

Post by dabber »

Just a quick update...... nearly done, just a few items to detail now and, some streaks minor scratches. Then on with the semi matte clear coat, fit the Elmod fusion pro and, away we go.

As mentioned, she’s not accurate or a work of art, however I’m pleased with her.

Many thanks for taking the time to look/Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
Last edited by dabber on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care..........Gary
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

That is great. Really nice shading and vivid paintjob. Amazin details as well.

Return to “Modern Builds”