Centurion Mk III Scratch build

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Centurion Mk III Scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

I'm just assembling the suspension and the wheel spacing is all wrong, I think I'll have to shorten the swing arms on the suspension by 3mm to give the correct wheel spacing. I'll experiment and post pics when I've finished printing the tyres.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Here is a photo of a Centurion
and here is what the current set up looks like

The wheels are too far apart on the suspension unit and too close together between the suspension units. The only solution is going to be to shorten the swing arms to get the gaps corect. It's a straightforward fix, it just requires more printing!! :crazy: :crazy:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Centurion Mk III Scratch build

Post by midlife306 »

Hi Alwyn, could you not just move the hole positions closer together on the suspension units?
Cheers
Wayne

Edit, I think it’s quite important to keep the arms as long as poss to maximise suspension travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

HHi Wayne, no there is no space between the pivot points to allow that
To make the space bigger would require making the swing arms thinner, which would weaken them too much. Better just o shorten them by 3mm. It's an easy retrofit, just means reprinting the arms.

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

No worries Alwyn, it’s all part of the entertainment
Cheers
Wayne

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I've just checked against the 1/35 model and if I shorten the arm by 3mm it will be exactly to scale. It just shows that the suspension design changed subtly between the Centurion and the Chieftain :crazy:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Modified the scad and reprinted
The spacing is now correct on the right hand side pair of wheels.

Now I just have to print another 5 sets. This reminds me of the Red Queens Race from Alice in Wonderland, running as fast as you can to stay in the same place! (or in this case printing as fast as I can) :crazy: :crazy:

Last edited by AlwynTurner on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Nice one Alwyn
Cheers
Wayne

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I finally sorted the wheel spacing AT LAST! A days printing later it looks as it should.

Obviously when they designed the Chieftain they took the opportunity to get greater suspension travel by lengthening the swing arms. That is just a reminder to me not to assume (makes an ASS out of U and ME - particularly me) so now I shall be rechecking everything before printing.

The only good part of this is I have a set of Chieftain swing arms should I decide to build another. :crazy:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Mick, the positioning is all scaled from the 1/35 model, so as far as my measure 3 times current policy goes, it should be in exactly the right place (fingers crossed). :thumbup:

Thanks for the check though.

ALWYN :wave: :thumbup:

Return to “Modern Builds”