Too heavy

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Re: Too heavy

Post by HammerWihoutASickle »

Raminator wrote:
HammerWihoutASickle wrote:Cheap and easier. How much do you suppose the weight would be?
You can use fishing sinkers or tyre balancing weights (or since you're in America, perhaps buckshot :haha: ), add them gradually until it looks like the tank is no longer leaning backwards.
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Nothing worse than a lot of weight causing sagging. . . .
Time and gravity get the better of us all, Mick. Armoured or otherwise.
Oooh I'm staying far away from buckshot. Let me see if I can find those sinkers.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6
Heng Long Challenger 2 (credit to rctankmodified)

I ask too many questions.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It could possibly be track tension too tight. The front roadwheel is being pulled up because the tension is overcoming the spring rate. If the metal sprockets and tracks are new, you might find that after you have run it around a bit and it has all stretched and bedded in, that the ride levels out again.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

wibblywobbly wrote:It could possibly be track tension too tight. The front roadwheel is being pulled up because the tension is overcoming the spring rate. If the metal sprockets and tracks are new, you might find that after you have run it around a bit and it has all stretched and bedded in, that the ride levels out again.
They're Taigen tracks, default size. Meaning they're the only size that won't make track slippages a daily thing. One more link and it becomes too big. I've run this around quite a few times, still hasn't sagged even a bit.

Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

Do You know if the springs can be locked in a different hole? I havent had to remove my Leopard’s roadwheels, but on my T-90’s the rear two springs, and the frontmost spring are in the hole that increases the tension on the arms, and it balances the whole affair, metal reargearbox plate (Wecohe), heavy steel gearbox, fairly heavy speaker and all.

By now one T-90 weighs in at about 4,5 kg, and no sagging whatsoever.

My Leo also doesn’t sag, but it could be because the heavy rear gearbox is evened-out by the big FRS7 speaker up front. I run the lighter Tamiya Leopard tracks, by the way.

Oh, before I forget : did You check if all arms run free, and there are no broken/unseated springs in the rear?

If none of the ideas help, it could be necessary to switch the springs around, rears to the front, fronts to the rear. I can imagine the metal roadwheels wearing-out the springs due to their sheer weight.
If all else failes, a bag of stronger Heng Long springs is about €9,- or about $10,- I usually need only 2 springs to even-out sagging rear-or front ends
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Just remember. The running gear doesn't contribute to the sag. Be it metal or plastic. But hull interior and turret do.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Is there a Corley suspension for the hen long modern tanks like for the Tagen ones?
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

You mean to change the preloaded on the coil springs? Would that be useful in regards suspension lifetime? I would assume you would need stronger springs, not just more preload?
HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

So... I tried adjusting the arms today. And one of the springs seems to have taken a trip to space. It's probably somewhere in orbit. :'(

Any idea where I can get a replacement?
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
HammerWihoutASickle wrote:So... I tried adjusting the arms today. And one of the springs seems to have taken a trip to space. It's probably somewhere in orbit. :'(

Any idea where I can get a replacement?
Oh dear, you silly man.

Anyone know if they are the same springs on a king tiger?

I may have some spare K T ones
I'm so sorry.. they look like this.
I tried to put it back on in the new position and the tension from the twisting pushed back so hard the the spring launched itself and the unscrewed arm into the air.Image

Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

HammerWihoutASickle
Lance Corporal

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I'll have a look in a bit, mind you, you could get the wife down on her hands and knees looking ;) depending how brave you are :haha:
Lucky for me gunner, I'm 24 and don't ever want to get married because I'm too much of a child to grow up. :P
Heng Long T-90SM
Heng Long Leopard 2A6

Return to “General Questions”