Das Mikro Sound Board

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
wibblywobbly
Major

Das Mikro Sound Board

Post by wibblywobbly »

I have just bought one of these, to install in a truck. I can't get any sound out of it.

1. Am I doing something wrong? The Y is in the right place, the truck still runs off the throttle as normal with the Y lead in place.
2. Are there any sounds on the board?

I plug it in, I get the beep, and the green led flashes.
I bridge the two contacts on the board, it beeps, and the led stays constant.

If I move the throttle, no beeps are heard.

I am wondering what the Orange/Red/Brown lead is for?

I cannot figure out where to attach the USB programming lead?

I have downloaded the manual and the programming software, so that I can see what is on the board, but unless I can figure out what goes where I can't hook it up.

If anyone can provide any details I would be rather grateful. :clap:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Das Mikro Sound Board

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I read through that article, but my problem is that I am not getting any sound at all?
Should I get sound pre-installed with the boards or do I need to download them first?

I have two Das Mikro boards.

1. Orlandoo
2. Tractor

Using a Traxxas TRX4. Throttle is channel 2.

1. Connect throttle esc on Y lead. Speaker is connected.
2. No Sound.
3. Led flashes.
4. Bridge two contacts.
5. No sound.
6. Move throttle.
7. No sound.

If I switch off and restart. The led flashes again.
What am I doing wrong? Both boards do the same thing?
Are the boards pre-installed with sound?

Added a pic, no idea what the orange/red/black lead is for, or where the programming USB link goes? I don't want to solder pins onto the board in case I have to return them.
Attachments
IMG_20180606_090231.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Im writing while I work, so sorry if I can not write a long tutorial now. The boards come with sound pre installed, the thing is you have to start the motors.

You can program the board to start the motors when pushing the throttle, or to program it to use a switch in your radio to turn it on.

I think I have to update the link I gave you, but I think everything should be there, in what I wrote or in the videos. Check the parameters one.

Sorry Im busy now but Ill take a look later.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

No rush, I am out for the rest of day. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

wibblywobbly wrote:No rush, I am out for the rest of day. :thumbup:
Ok great. Anyway I just took a look to the image you posted, please, again, read my tutorial and watch the videos, read carefully the manuals too. I am sure you did it, but please do it again, it will save you tons of frustration in an already complicated thing.

If you read everything I think you will see that the orange red and black wire is for triggering two extra sounds in an easier way than scratchbuilding an encoder or 12 position switch in your radio and doing some wizzard programming. In my P40 warbird I have set it for triggering the machine guns and another extra sound, but you can program whatever you want. At the beginning you can skip it. You will have time for it coming back to it.

Regarding where to plug the programmer, again I already explained in the tutorial. Maybe that programmer came bad wired (like many, included the one I got) but again the solution is in my tutorial. Also be sure of installing all drivers in your computer.

Dont worry about having to return the board. All those guys in aliexpress/banggood who say the board does not work, is just because they dont know how to use it. At the beginning is a tad complicated, but Im sure you will get it running. Is unveliebable this board is so powerfull. No need to solder anything to it unless you want it.

Bridging the two contacts is for configuring the throttle endpoints. I think I have to do a videotutorial of that too, but also in the manual is explained very well.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Still can't get sound, but while trying to get the USB to talk to the pc and the sound board, I checked the wiring...and sure enough they have got them in the wrong order on the DasMikro end. This means that anyone who has bought the Bangood programming unit with the lead will never get it to work.

Once I have resoldered the wiring, I assume that I will be able to see whether the sound files have been preloaded.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

One part of the solution

http://wp.brodzinski.net/hardware/fake- ... o-install/

At least I can now select a COM Port

Now the software is telling me that the soundcard is not responding.

Just a question. Are the sound board Tx, Rx, GND pins shown in the pic on your thread in the correct order? I have just swapped the wires over on the DasMikro programming cable but maybe they were correct originally?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

wibblywobbly wrote:One part of the solution

http://wp.brodzinski.net/hardware/fake- ... o-install/

At least I can now select a COM Port

Now the software is telling me that the soundcard is not responding.

Just a question. Are the sound board Tx, Rx, GND pins shown in the pic on your thread in the correct order? I have just swapped the wires over on the DasMikro programming cable but maybe they were correct originally?
Hi. Lol, So that usb connector that banggood sells for 20 bucks costs about half an euro. Interesting...

My diagram is absolutely correct, but it is not mine. I just found it in internet, because somebody was unable to connect the board to the computer too. So that guy did the diagram and uploaded it to banggood. I took good note of it, and I did one following exactly the same instructions and worked flawlessly. My programmer came bad wired, thats 100% for sure. Also the diagram does not mean you have to follow it and do exactly the same! It depends about how your usb connector is. I dont remember now, but probably in the dasmikro usb you can read what is every pin. What means is not the order of the wires, but the match of the correct pins!
About the pc not recognizing the board. Did you install all the drivers? Not only the TBS software, but the bunch of drivers that you have to install?

Anyway I think I will do a wild guess and I will say all those dasmikro boards come with sounds on it. (except the ones that the sellers says that are empty!) Why do I say it? Because it seems all the programmers come bad wired and I have read little to none complains about them, so that means people just dont use them.
Also because knowing how most of the people is, they are happy with the stock sound. No matter if people is running a race car with truck sounds. for most of the guys there as long as something sounds is fine, not caring about lights, smoke and all the marvels that the board can do.

So if I were you, I would read the manual again, I would try first of all to set the board, just doing the bridge (when doing it you dont have to connect it to the computer)

Maybe you can start toying with the board doing selecting the autostart mode. From the manual:

2.5. Changing a already set control mode
It is possible to change the adjusted control mode
without
the optional programing adaptor:
Bridge the LRN contact
DURING
powering the soundmodule
Remove the LRN contact
Close LRN contact momentary and wait for the “Beep-Code”
Repeat closing the LRN contact until the desired control mode is signalized by the
according “Beep-Code”
Switch soundmodule off and on again
„Beep-Code“
1 x Beep
->
Autostart
2 x Beep
->
Toggle switch
3 x Beep
->
12 position encoder

Soundmodule TBS Micro V2.0
Page:
2.4. Autostart
If you only want to play the engine sound, the “autostart” mode can be selected. The engine starts
automatically, as soon as the model is accelerated the first time.
If the engine is more than 20s idle, it shuts down automatically.
No special sounds
can be played in this mode!
Teaching the autostart mode:
Power on transmitter and receiver. LED blinks fast -> normal mode
Bring throttle stick to idle. Motor must not move.
Bridge LRN contact for about 0.5 seconds until beep -> LED cont. on.
At this moment the idle position of the throttle stick is stored.
3. Move throttle stick to your desired acceleration point (throttle stick position where idle
dead band stops and engine running sound starts) and wait for a beep
Now the dead (neutral) band of the speed channel is defined.
4. Move the throttle stick to full speed position and wait for three beeps.
After this the sound unit is back in the normal operation mode.
During the programing sequence:
If you leave the last stored throttle stick position, a very short beep is played. Since then,
you have about 2 seconds to adjust the new throttle stick position to be stored next

If it works, and if you heard sound, then you can swap to more advanced control modes.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Glad to report that the board suddenly started working this morning. I now have sound.

The only way that I can get the USB to work with the DasMikro board is to leave the yellow/white/black as they are when standard, but just make sure that the JST plug is around the right way. Mine was delivered with it upside down, which reversed the two outer wires at the other end.

I still get a message from the Benedini screen saying that the DasMikro board is not responding, and I have no idea why the sound board suddenly came to life while it was attached to the USB, and continued working ok after it was detached?

I checked it on another truck and it was still generating sound, so all is good.

I'll charge up the truck battery and try to get the USB talking to the Benedini software.

Drivers - I have installed the one referred to above...could you tell me where to find the others that I need, I haven't a clue what those are.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Other electronics”