SU-85M / SU-100 build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: SU-85M / SU-100 build

Post by sassgrunt »

If I remember correctly, once that white gear started slipping on the shaft; there wasn't anything you could do to fix the problem. It was one of the weak points on the design of the drivetrain, and people who upgraded the gearboxes also make their own shaft and keyed it inside the drive sprocket with a pin. I checked my spares box and had hoped that I had two of them I could send you, but as it turns out, I only have one. Came off a stock WSN years ago and was never used, so it will at least cure ONE side of the drivetrain. I mean, your Su-100 may only drive in circles then, but at least it will do so reliably!

I can get it off to you tomorrow, if you want it. But, since it won't cure the problem (unless someone else has one they can send you), it might be worth considering just replacing the gearbox and drive sprockets altogether with Heng Long ones. Not terribly expensive on eBay. -Mike
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

SU-85M / SU-100 build

Post by Markocaster »

sassgrunt wrote:If I remember correctly, once that white gear started slipping on the shaft; there wasn't anything you could do to fix the problem. It was one of the weak points on the design of the drivetrain, and people who upgraded the gearboxes also make their own shaft and keyed it inside the drive sprocket with a pin. I checked my spares box and had hoped that I had two of them I could send you, but as it turns out, I only have one. Came off a stock WSN years ago and was never used, so it will at least cure ONE side of the drivetrain. I mean, your Su-100 may only drive in circles then, but at least it will do so reliably!

I can get it off to you tomorrow, if you want it. But, since it won't cure the problem (unless someone else has one they can send you), it might be worth considering just replacing the gearbox and drive sprockets altogether with Heng Long ones. Not terribly expensive on eBay. -Mike
Mike , hi and thanks a million for your help Image I knew there would be issues w this one, Image and I bought it to learn. I have fun with the exterior of the tanks but as for the electric and running aspect I still have lots to learn . I think I have my Clark board figured out lol!
But good news, looks looks like we may have a tank club in this area soon. It’s been a while and I am dying to have a go at battling my tiger 1 finallyImage thanks so much for all your help. I am going to experiment with this and if I don’t have any luck I am going to pick up a Taigen lower hull and make a battlefield relic out of the laterImage
I hope this local club happens I need to meet some local guys and learn lol there must be some close to me ???
Thanks again and all the best !
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Hey Mark. Yeah, if you can finance it, I think that Taigen is the way to go for an upgrade. I bought one of their metal hulls for the Trumpeter Su-100 kit, and even though it will take some adapting of the parts, I hope that the end result will prevent future mechanical headaches.

Your build is coming along great, and remember my offer if you want to use this one for a battlefield wreck and start another one.

It's also great that you have a club in your vicinity. (And ironically, it's probably the closest one to me as well, so have fun and I will try and enjoy it vicariously through you). Ha. -Mike
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Thanks Mike ! I ordered the Taigen lower and metal idler/sprocket for it :)
I am really looking forward to having a local group, hopefully it works out.
Still plugging away at the SU-100,
And now I have most of a t34 in parts I am going to turn that one into a battlefield relic.
How is it I started with 2 projects and now have 5 in various states of disrepair lol

Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Its been ages, I am making progress. I am going w the Heng long chasis & have cut and added miliput and got the motors in and working.
the upper is almost ready for primer a few bits to stick on and some Mr surfacer for texture still to do. Its not going to be a perfect example but good enough with what I have. I am leaving the gun stationary I think and just using older heng long electronics so it moves and makes noise :) I will post a few pics later

by the way does anyone have a couple of 2-3 metal track links they can spare I am one short for a full set, otherwise will go with plastic ones.
cheers Mark
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I'm watching this one closely it's a very cool piece :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have spare metal links, but they are terrible quality. The eyes always rupture.
I can send 3 if you like.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I have spare metal links, but they are terrible quality. The eyes always rupture.
Herman thats exactly what happened to mine the eyes ruptured
would love them if you dont mind sending over here , anything you need ? in exchange
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Markocaster wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:I have spare metal links, but they are terrible quality. The eyes always rupture.
Herman thats exactly what happened to mine the eyes ruptured
would love them if you dont mind sending over here , anything you need ? in exchange
OOoooohhhh where do I start !!

Nah mate, just PM the address.
Just happy to see you back in amongst it :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

A bit more progress , I grafted on Heng long front fenders. It’s a bit of a mess and mix of all kinds:)

Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
1/10 Jagdpanther

Return to “Other Builds”