Lert builds Oddball's Sherman

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Re: Lert builds Oddball's Sherman

Post by frankie »

Yep, search dolls house stuff...great for the watering can tin bath etc..
Attachments
4F4625D4-CBDF-4BDA-890D-808C12011EDD.jpeg
703E6195-B622-4429-A42B-B44295A968A1.jpeg
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Very nice build of Oddball's man of Sher, Frankie!

You know, the more I work on this build and the more I think about the tank, the more I think it was dressed up for the movie, to 'look cool', rather than have any base in reality or history.

I mean, I can accept the 'trophies', like two German helmets, a German jerrycan and the road signs. I can accept the random crap like a lantern, a watering can, two US helmets, a frying pan and even a wicker basket. But why does it have 9 backpacks, for a crew of 5? Ok, so, maybe the crew has more personal gear than fits in 5 backpacks. But in addition to the 9 backpacks there are 5 duffel bags and 3 boxes. That's a lot of storage space for a 5-man Sherman crew.

Then there is the pipe. Oddball says it's to put on the 76mm barrel so maybe the Germans think it's a 90mm. But -

1) It doesn't make narrative sense. It's introduced, then never used like that in the movie. It never leaves its stowage space. They establish the pipe, then never use it. That doesn't work with one of the oldest and most basic narrative tropes there is, Checkov's Gun.
2) It doesn't make plot sense. Why would you want to make your tank stand out and look more dangerous than it is? British Firefly crews went out of their way to camouflage their additional barrel length, since they understood that standing out with a bigger gun just made you a target.
3) It doesn't make logistical sense. The pipe is way too short to fit over the entire barrel.

So, what's the purpose of the pipe?

Then there is the speaker. It fits with the character of Oddball, the laid back proto-hippie, but there's no way any tank crew would be able to get away with that in reality, right?
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:It's not real ya know, it's a fictional film lol :/
Oh I know. Was just making an observation. I don't mind building fake tanks as long as I know / acknowledge that that's what they are.
Son of a gun-ner wrote:As for the back packs and storage, they could have picked up the extra four along the way, and used them for souvenirs etc, even food.
Entirely possible.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Great build. In July I will start mine (based on Taigen/Torro Sherman). In the movie was at least three different Shermans so model will be accurate only for specific scene (i.e. during attack on train station there was standard 0.5 cal mounted and later there is aircraft type Browning. Stowage is changing from scene to scene. Speaker have dent or not etc.

Also it's fantasy war drama-comedy with Vietnam era vibe so only what counts it's having fun and positive waves :D
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

This is starting to sound like the Fury threads.
Keep smashing out the pic's Lert , it looks great.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Some times it's the subtle things that make the difference ...

I mixed a few drops of a very light sand color with the clearcoat and sprayed it on my man of Sher. It lightened the tank and softened the weathering, and I'm so happy with the result I'm going to post pictures.

Can you see the difference between this and the previous update pictures?
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

The tank looks great. And your application of a clear coat with paint worked great.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Lert wrote:I'm so happy with the result I'm going to post pictures.
And so you should be. You've tied the stowage and weathering together really nicely, the tank looks like it just rolled out of a movie still. Impressive work, Lert! What else remains to be done, now?
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Raminator wrote:What else remains to be done, now?
The rest of the stowage and some pigments for dust / mud. Need to source some more backpacks and helmets, then figure out how I'm going to do the skillet, duffel bags,speaker, wicker basket and lantern. Probably scratch build most of that, if not all.

However, because of my RL situation that's going to take a while.
Last edited by Lert on Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Return to “Heng Long Builds”