Unusual Tiger I

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
c.rainford73
Major

Unusual Tiger I

Post by c.rainford73 »

While surfing the internet..... I came across this interesting photo.

Is this one of the famed Fehrmann Tiger tanks? It appears to have an early turret and cupola, late steel wheels and zimmerit paste. Smoke discharger forward mounted on hull, spare track hangers

Maybe a late war cobbled together unitImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Unusual Tiger I

Post by Raminator »

Unlikely to be a Fehrmann tank, since the photo appears to be in Poland. Certainly an interesting mix of early and late production features, though.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Looks good though, I like it!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

What I find interesting is that while a large proportion of Tigers never carried turret numbers they all had the Balkan Cross on the side of the body except this one seems not to ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

It's definitely an interesting piece. Is it safe to say that tigers from the training school may have made it to other locations at the end of the war like Fehrmann's Tiger group of mixed and matched Tigers? Or is this one simply a matter of field modification
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Carl, Wolfgang Schneiders Tigers in Combat 11 has an interesting final chapter on the various Odd Tiger formations,
in the last days of the European war one of these untitled formations consisted of a number of Tanks and Tank destroyers in and around the Polish city of Posen in the early months of 1945,
Interesting reading,
A small vignette being where a Tiger1 was defending a Panther crew who were changing a track under fire, as the Tiger started to reverse the throttle linkage broke !!!
The loader (These were always small but very tough men) jumped onto the back of the Tiger and singlehandedly lifted up the armoured engine hatch and controlled the accelerator by hand as the tiger reversed to safety!!
Strength and raw courage.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

jarndice wrote:Carl, Wolfgang Schneiders Tigers in Combat 11 has an interesting final chapter on the various Odd Tiger formations,
in the last days of the European war one of these untitled formations consisted of a number of Tanks and Tank destroyers in and around the Polish city of Posen in the early months of 1945,
Interesting reading,
A small vignette being where a Tiger1 was defending a Panther crew who were changing a track under fire, as the Tiger started to reverse the throttle linkage broke !!!
The loader (These were always small but very tough men) jumped onto the back of the Tiger and singlehandedly lifted up the armoured engine hatch and controlled the accelerator by hand as the tiger reversed to safety!!
Strength and raw courage.
Fantastic story about the combat action! Well worth the photo I posted just for this story aloneImage
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

In this picture of note is the PzIV stowage bin.
Look up hybrid tiger 1 and this pic comes up.
I did read up on it during various research, but deemed it not worth keeping the info on.
I believe the pic is in Hungary but I cannot be certain.
You sure do see a lot of pictures when looking for Tiger info !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

It has s-mine launchers installed on the hull as well. Does anyone know when they stopped using them? I thought it was fairly early on?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Smoke Candle Dischargers were first fitted in August 1942,
Smoke Candle Dischargers were no longer fitted from June 1943,

"S" Mines were fitted from January 1943,
"S" Mines were no longer fitted from October 1943.
So if Smoke dischargers are on the Tiger 1 and "S" Mine dischargers are on the Tank at the same time,
Then the picture was likely taken between January 1943 and June 1943.

Return to “General Questions”