1st generation rc king tiger

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: 1st generation rc king tiger

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Thank you. Most generous of you
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Want to keep turret rotation , easy fix solder a 2 pin just lead onto motor and plug into 8 pin socket on the Elmod board
Want to keep turret rotation , easy fix solder a 2 pin just lead onto motor and plug into 8 pin socket on the Elmod board
Have some spare servos and will use plastic barrel just added a length of AL tube and have some bigger gears somewhere.
Have some spare servos and will use plastic barrel just added a length of AL tube and have some bigger gears somewhere.
Need this lot to enable recoil
Need this lot to enable recoil
Thanks for info on Zimmerit tools, now onto getting turret functional. Trying an offset recoil as i would like to retain original turret rotation.
Attachments
Just need to tidy up the elevation and perhaps a video if i can manage to post it.
Just need to tidy up the elevation and perhaps a video if i can manage to post it.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

P4030071.jpg
Fitting PE grills don't think they will fall off now. The Voyager Trumpeter PE grills are a tight fit. Have the modern Tamiya KT and the plastic moulding is exactly the same as this old version. With modern measuring aids i think thats why Tamiya and Trumpeter kits are slightly out.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

P4030081.jpg
P4030082.jpg
Fitted grab handles that look the part , why a blob of plastic for handles ? Started PE, better stay calm or it will not go well. Bad start, says form a wire circle and bend mesh around wire . I know its supposed to look real but why make it hard.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Will look better when painted
Will look better when painted
underside view
underside view
making hinges
making hinges
Decided to beef up rear mudguard , the hinges are fragile . Tried some brass tube . The other rear will look better , know how to put together now.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

P4064927.jpg
P4064926.jpg
Mudguards version 2 changed the hinge fixings , hinges look rough but recon they took some abuse in real life. Camera shows up the flaws but going to use the 20 foot rule. :)
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

P4064931.jpg
P4064929.jpg
Ready for a test , fitted mudguards.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Nice updates Ronnie. The PE will definitely look the part once painted. And good choice on the Atak Zimmerit kit :thumbup:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thanks Soeren The Atak Zimmerit is nice , don't like the Tamiya sticker version for my other KT, it will be a later version. Compared to the Atak the surface is almost smooth and no cutouts to position track hangers.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

kingtiger - 1 (3).jpg
kingtiger - 1 (2).jpg
kingtiger - 1 (1).jpg
Started PE for cables, decided to solder a stub on each part . Bit of a nightmare at times, so don't want to loose any hangers. Leaving the rods with butterfly nuts to the end , no use trying to solder the wire ends . Paint should hold the pins and with any luck the cables fixings should work.Tried a Heng Long cable end for size , might cut a Tamiya cable for the ends looks much better.
Attachments
kingtiger - 1.jpg

Return to “Tamiya Builds”