Aliexpress

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Aliexpress

Post by 971wright »

Hi If you have joint names on paypal you and the boss , customs duty only kicks in at £40 you both get allowed £20. Unfortunately the American postal laws which have very big penalties means they can not lie when posting something from the states so they cant say something is cheaper than it is in fact they have to over estimate price just in case. I had a Tamiya turret given to me I just had to send postage , still had to pay duty this side of the pond. As for stuff from China never had a problem with customs .

regards pete
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I think it was Winston Churchill who said that the United Kingdom and the United States were two countries separated by a common language.
Actually, George Bernard Shaw is credited with that quote. I first heard it when George C. Scott, playing George S. Patton, quoted George B. Shaw at a Ladies event during the war. Too many Georges in that sentence!! 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I did literally a coumple of hunders of orders at aliexpress. I buy almost everything from there, and only once had problems with customs.

They always lie in the customs declaration. no matter how expensive is what I buy, they always declare a value under 20 with free shipping, and as a gift or commercial sample.

The bigger parcels always go through NL post. So it goes from china to holland, and they put another sticker on the parcels.

Wathever you do, never order with DHL or EMS shipping.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Marco Peter wrote:Everytime I check this thread I'm hoping for a compilation of 'Best Buys' on ALiexpress, for our hobby haha!
We await your research and findings with gleeful anticipation :D
Here ya go haha!
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2018-Nie ... 0.0.RZkknC
Cool Tiger Fibel T-shirt
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:I did literally a coumple of hunders of orders at aliexpress. I buy almost everything from there, and only once had problems with customs.

They always lie in the customs declaration. no matter how expensive is what I buy, they always declare a value under 20 with free shipping, and as a gift or commercial sample.

The bigger parcels always go through NL post. So it goes from china to holland, and they put another sticker on the parcels.

Wathever you do, never order with DHL or EMS shipping.
:silent: :shh: :shh: :shh: to misquote one of out famous Wartime posters, Rad: "Careless talk costs livres.." (should be 'lives'..). :lolno: Much of what we write here ends up directly on Google, 8O so don't tell the revenue men all about our little evasions... :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I suspect HMRC are after bigger 'fish' than the occasional parcel from outside the EU with a misleading (or dishonest) value declaration.

If you believe the various TV news items broadcast, the amount of counterfeit & downright dangerous stuff that finds its way into this country beggars belief. How many times have you come across a 'bargain' online at a price that is too good to be true?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

rochesb wrote:I suspect HMRC are after bigger 'fish' than the occasional parcel from outside the EU with a misleading (or dishonest) value declaration.

If you believe the various TV news items broadcast, the amount of counterfeit & downright dangerous stuff that finds its way into this country beggars belief. How many times have you come across a 'bargain' online at a price that is too good to be true?
I suspect that they're not bothered about us modelling minnows, as well. I just wanted to worry Rad ! ;) It's the Trading Standards bods who have the 'poisoned chalice' here (hopefully, not literally.. 8O ), and not so much HMRC. From my days in Local Government
when being sent on useless 'Team building' exercises, (without the weights, but with the dumbbells.. :haha: ), I used to meet bods from all other departments. The ones with the nails gnawed down to the quick, always seemed to come from Trading Standards... :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Marco Peter wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Marco Peter wrote:Everytime I check this thread I'm hoping for a compilation of 'Best Buys' on ALiexpress, for our hobby haha!
We await your research and findings with gleeful anticipation :D
Here ya go haha!
Cool Tiger Fibel T-shirt
I'd be willing to bet that the Brigadier has at least a dozen of those Girls und Panzer t-shirts. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:
Marco Peter wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote: We await your research and findings with gleeful anticipation :D
Here ya go haha!
Cool Tiger Fibel T-shirt
I'd be willing to bet that the Brigadier has at least a dozen of those Girls und Panzer t-shirts. @)
Ahem...that was Major-General, Gary, and sadly the phenomenon that was Alpha was well before Marco's time here... :| :D
He's right of course, albeit obliquely, about how easily threads are derailed here..hmm.., now there's a mixed metaphor :eh: ..and another potential grammatical derailment..erm..
Have you ever ordered anything from AliExpress? :)
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Have you ever ordered anything from AliExpress? :)
Me? Apart from that shirt? Well... I guess 100 orders or so? Hahaha!

For example airbursh-related items, small Heng Long parts, etc. Basically when I need something I simply check AliExpress first. ;D
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)

Return to “General Discussion”