HELP FOR NEW GUY

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: HELP FOR NEW GUY

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:As you're getting a green light on the charger, I'd check the tanks connector first ;)

Following your earlier reasoning, Mick, one connector? Maybe, but still fairly unlikely. Two? Highly unlikely. ;) However, there is this thing with later Heng Longs...if I can wade though the Ching-List literary quicksand..of
'Code-binding' (As opposed the foot binding the Mandarin ladies used to indulge in.). It's possible that the transmitters need re-binding to the correct model. There's a small button on the bottom of the tank to set the frequency.
Maybe it's not on all tanks; but it's there to allocate frequencies when more than one tank is in use. Maybe they got muddled :eh: After all, imagine Louis' fine collection of Shermans all behaving like synchronised swimmers. :crazy:
I'll see if I can find the procedure...but it should be in the accompanying instructions.
So....
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Right, well no time to scan this. I'll just copy it verbatim from a manual:
"....Instruction on decoding confirmation:
Steps are:
1. Switch on the power of the transmitter and the tank, this time the power light on the transmitter will be ON, and the headlight of the tank will be flashing. Press the START key on on the transmitter and then press the decoding key "ST" at the base of the tank. The tank will start and send out starting sound and this means the decoding is successfully finished...."
I recall once having to rebind one of my Taigen tanks after battery change, so maybe it can happen with HL too. Once upon a time..HL was the legendary source of many irritating glitches. Apparently not so often these day... :wtf:
:)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Ah, BUT the transmitter shouldn't have any influence over the lights coming on on the tanks when they're switched on on the tanks, they should come on irrespective of the transmitter being turned on, they basically come on to show you have a working power connection, therefore although there could very well be a binding fault if the binding buttons have been fiddled with when trying to get the tanks to work, my money is backing that the fault is within the tank.

Mick.

Edit: heng long doesn't have a light switch on the transmitter. And now I've said all this after dinner I will have to make sure the latest versions do light up lol.
Ahem...don't you mean within BOTH tanks, Mick.. ;)
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I'm kind of hanging with the connector problem. I had a set that was not bound, but the tank lights still came on. Could possibly be a problem with one connector, then when swapping stuff back and forth, cause both the plugs to malfunction. I'd love to say that that little tidbit of information did not come from first hand experience! :{

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Occam's razor would suggest Batteries as the usual prime culprit. I don't suppose that you tried connecting more exotic batteries to them with higher ratings than 7.2v, did you? They can probably take up to 9v, but might not like
the extra surge. High powered Li-Pos could possible cook a few components...if you're heading North of 10vdc..
If they've only had the stock batteries, just make sure they are outputting a voltage higher than 7.2vdc. Fully charged you should be getting around 7.6 or more, I'd guess.
Best of luck, anyway..and greetings to Iowa... :wave:
marbaja252
Recruit

Post by marbaja252 »

I will be checking that tonight and the connections. Thank you all the ideas. Always fun when getting into new hobbies. Was the same thing trying to fix things my full sized military collection.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

marbaja252 wrote: "... same thing trying to fix things my full sized military collection.
Now there's an intriguing little line.. :) Don't tell me you've got a Sherman out in the barn :lolno: :D
marbaja252
Recruit

Post by marbaja252 »

Yes guys the wife does not like the big trucks, but the kids and all the dads in the area think their awesome. You get more looks than a brand new Corvette Stingray Z06 when driving around.
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Stupid thought, but maybe they need to be rebound to the transmitters?

Might have done something that they are no longer recognizing the TX? Dunno..
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Sorry Mr 43rd, couldn't resist, it was in Mr marbaja252's introduction thread, you wouldn't think that Shaun, myself or some others would have offered help without it ;)

And as my wife's just gone away I haven't got anyone here to irritate. . . .
Oh, dearie, dearie me... :/ I did see that, and it was just a wee leg pull, Mick..... :/ In your own words:.."don't assume...." etc..
As for irritants, if it's possible to live with haemorrhoids, it must be possible to live with you... :haha:
I'm beginning to sympathise with your spouse, though, about that yon... pain in the ane. :lolno: .. :D

Return to “General Questions”