Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
tankmaniac
Recruit

Re: Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by tankmaniac »

Ad Lav wrote:Stunning build. Well done.

I’ve just started to up my game in the detail front on my last few builds.
Thank you sir.
I have seen some of your tanks and simply do not understand how you can deal with fabricating all those tiny details. The photo etched parts on my 50 cal. took forever and I gave up on the ammo belt. Replaced it with a resin one and used some of the individual rounds as spent casings. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Those chipped edges are incredibly well done and, more to the point not overdone. A few members go for more extreme weathering. Yours is entirely subtle and believable.. :)
One question, have you ever used these bespoke products from Tamiya, and if so, how do you rate them? What do you use for the chipped edges? Sorry, that's two questions.. :/
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Tankmaniac,

Speaking of PE where did you get the small chain you used on the fuel caps, MG mount pins and rear side shirt pins?

Your build has all the essentials making it one of the best on the site IMO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
Thank you, sir.
The chains are made by Aber. They’re generic photoetched chains. When I ordered them it was a shot in the dark, because there was no hint as far as the size goes. I will post a picture of the actual package tonight when I get home from work today.

Thank you!

I thought they were, I found them while looking over their set for the Tamiya Tiger I but could not find them listed seprately. They are exactly the style chain needed in several loacations.

TIA,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:
tankmaniac wrote:
BarryC wrote:Tankmaniac,

Speaking of PE where did you get the small chain you used on the fuel caps, MG mount pins and rear side shirt pins?

Your build has all the essentials making it one of the best on the site IMO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
Thank you, sir.
The chains are made by Aber. They’re generic photoetched chains. When I ordered them it was a shot in the dark, because there was no hint as far as the size goes. I will post a picture of the actual package tonight when I get home from work today.

Thank you!

I thought they were, I found them while looking over their set for the Tamiya Tiger I but could not find them listed seprately. They are exactly the style chain needed in several loacations.

TIA,
Barry
I was wrong. They’re made by Resicast, not Aber.
Here’s a picture of all of the info you need:

tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Those chipped edges are incredibly well done and, more to the point not overdone. A few members go for more extreme weathering. Yours is entirely subtle and believable.. :)
One question, have you ever used these bespoke products from Tamiya, and if so, how do you rate them? What do you use for the chipped edges? Sorry, that's two questions.. :/
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm
Thanks for the Compliments.
Those Tamiya products is what I actually used. The only thing I did not like about them is that they’re a bit too diluted for my taste. They tend to bleed out too much, so I added Model Masters enamel (Flat Burnt Umber) to the dark brown panel line accent and flat black enamel to the black accent. Now they “puddle” more. I do not moisten the surface either. I sealed the base coat with Tamiya Flat clear out of their rattle can, add the panel wash, and clean lines up using a flat tipped brush with some Humbrol enamel thinner.
For the chipping I used two custom mixed colors after I drybrushed the entire tank. A “warm” steel color, followed by some “warm” reddish brown. By “Warm” I mean the hue of the color. I took a pic of them in their jars if that helps.
I didn’t use a foam for the application and no lighter base coat before hand either as I didn’t want to make the chipped areas to appears bubbly, flaky or aged. I wanted to give this tank the “End of the war, over cars, through buildings and sandstorms” etc. kind of abraded and scratched appearance if that makes sense.
Sorry for the longwinded reply. ImageImage

tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:I like it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your weathering looks awesome. :clap:

I have one and would love to pick your brain on the improvements you've made to the electronics/operations and the structural reinforcements you've added.

Barry
Here are few pics from the inside of the turret. Not pretty, but functional. Those carbon fiber pieces are cheap, light, incredibly stiff, and secured with Epoxy. Before the reinforcement the whole turret would flex if you held the barrel and moved it side to side. Now it doesn’t. The servo horn replaced the flimsy servo saver. This servo doesn’t need it anyways. Horn can’t be too long otherwise it’ll interfere with the gun stabilizer. Same goes for a motor upgrade to speed up the turret traverse. I wanted it to turn faster, but it just made the turret spin in circles like crazy when barrel stabilizer was activated. Image ImageImageImage

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks Tankmaniac,

I found a an eBay listing here in the states and scoped up both he had listed. :thumbup:

Resicast does not list them on their web site, maybe discontinued? :(

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks for the insight into the "upgrades".

May I ask what part of the world you are in?

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankmaniac
Recruit

Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:Thanks for the insight into the "upgrades".

May I ask what part of the world you are in?

Barry
You’re very welcome!
I’m just around the corner from where you live. Augusta, GA. USA. Image

tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:Thanks Tankmaniac,

I found a an eBay listing here in the states and scoped up both he had listed. :thumbup:

Resicast does not list them on their web site, maybe discontinued? :(

Barry
I bought mine on ebay as well. Didn’t do much research on them, was more like:”Eh, let’s go buy them to check how big they are”.

Return to “Modern Tanks”