Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
tankmaniac
Recruit

Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by tankmaniac »

Hello everyone. I used to build 1/35 model tanks as a teenager and always wanted a large scale RC version of a Tamiya tank. Well, as as kid I didn’t have the funds to buy one and Tamiya never made an Abrams in 16th scale. Fast forward 30years, and finally they released one. I bought it with the intention to make this one as realistic looking as I could. I want it to look realistic from like 3-4ft. away, so I will not be changing every handle for a wire bent one. Image I upgraded the barrel elevation servo for the fastest, highest resolution savox I could find, reinforced the turret with carbon fiber struts and the inside of the lower hull deck with aluminum braces, sleeved the barrel to eliminate all slop and also replaced the elevation units “j” bent wire with something with less slop. Now there is no “wiggle” of the barrel whatsoever and the response time of the barrel stabilizer is super smooth and realistic looking. As far as the outside goes, there are a bunch of scratch built items to give it a more realistic look. Stowage items are a combination of a lot of different brands and I still will do all periscopes and optics with a self adhesive film to give it that color changing look. Also on order are some all metal tracks with rubber pads on both sides.
Enjoy the pics.Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya M1A2 1/16 RC

Post by BarryC »

I like it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your weathering looks awesome. :clap:

I have one and would love to pick your brain on the improvements you've made to the electronics/operations and the structural reinforcements you've added.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some exquisite details there, lending the Abrams a credible appearance. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:I like it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your weathering looks awesome. :clap:

I have one and would love to pick your brain on the improvements you've made to the electronics/operations and the structural reinforcements you've added.

Barry
Thank you Barry.
Once I get ready to install my new tracks, I will take pictures of the inside and add a video as well.

tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Some exquisite details there, lending the Abrams a credible appearance. :thumbup:
Thank you. After reading Barry’s built thread, I know it’s impossible to reach his level of realism. I just reworked those things I think Tamiya should have not missed to begin with. I hope as 16th scale gains in popularity, more photo etch, figurines, stowage etc. will be available soon. Image

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You mentioned in your opening message that you wanted it to look ok from 3-4 feet................well I can give you the news, it looks outstanding from more than 11,000 kilometers away :O

Extraordinary work and accessory detail.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Tankmaniac,

Speaking of PE where did you get the small chain you used on the fuel caps, MG mount pins and rear side shirt pins?

Your build has all the essentials making it one of the best on the site IMO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Stunning build. Well done.

I’ve just started to up my game in the detail front on my last few builds.
tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

BarryC wrote:Tankmaniac,

Speaking of PE where did you get the small chain you used on the fuel caps, MG mount pins and rear side shirt pins?

Your build has all the essentials making it one of the best on the site IMO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
Thank you, sir.
The chains are made by Aber. They’re generic photoetched chains. When I ordered them it was a shot in the dark, because there was no hint as far as the size goes. I will post a picture of the actual package tonight when I get home from work today.

tankmaniac
Recruit

Post by tankmaniac »

HERMAN BIX wrote:You mentioned in your opening message that you wanted it to look ok from 3-4 feet................well I can give you the news, it looks outstanding from more than 11,000 kilometers away :O

Extraordinary work and accessory detail.
Lol thank you. Image

Return to “Modern Tanks”