Sturmi - A Finnish Stug

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Sturmi - A Finnish Stug

Post by Estnische »

Thanks for the offer Dan. I've been researching for a while, as the Panther paint stages were curing. I'm going for the early G version. I'm going to skip the logs too, it smacks a bit of the Tamiya Sturmi in 1:35.

I actually think the hardest bit of this project will be getting the decals and doing the hard-edged camo. Everything else you can pretty much buy off the shelf.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

Does the Finnish Stug have a travel lock for the barrel?
Attachments
25289167_10214881876098801_3138380131531957461_n.jpg
25289167_10214881876098801_3138380131531957461_n.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
I am the Law!
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

From what I understand, they didn't fit them until after the war.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

Estnische wrote:From what I understand, they didn't fit them until after the war.
Who, the Finns didn't fit them or they weren't fitted to the Stugs? The Germans did fit them to their Stugs.
I am the Law!
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

This is what Andreas Lärka’s Finnish armour website says. I can only take it at face value:

"The 1943 -batch StuG's were early production (but not the initial) G models with the square gun-mantlet..."

"The 1944 (second) batch StuG's were "late middle / early late" production G models with the Topfblende / "Saukopf" gun-mantle, all-steel return rollers (Alkett and MIAG), drive-sprockets with the wheel-bolts showing, loaders hatches opening to the sides, deflecting armour for the commander's cupola, solid (non-rotating) periscope-ring on the commander's cupola, late type fendersupports, typical German rear deck stovage-racks and Zimmerit."

"In the early 1950's ... some StuG's got gun travel-locks like the ones featured on some of the 1944 batch StuG's."

"From the 1944 batch of StuG's none probably ever fired their guns in anger. Most of them arrived too late to see any real action, as the first of the 1944 batch StuG's that arrived were used as reserves and for securing the rear areas. "

Which probably explains why none of the wartime photos I could find show a Sturmi with a travel-lock. The last photo is interesting as it appears to be a 1944-batch StuG.

(I acknowledge SA-Kuva as a source of some of these photos)
TL1 -44.jpg
TL2.jpg
TL2.jpg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
TL3.jpg
TL4.jpg
TL4.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
TL5.jpg
TL5.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Last edited by Estnische on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Ah, Roy. Check this Stug interior out! Even the radio dial appears to glow.

T'is but a flight of fancy though. Recoil and elevation can't happen without the mechanisms. He's gutted a dead Heng Long and made it into a stationary model.

This talented Kiwi upscaled everything from a 1:35 kit. You can see the whole build here:

http://kiwimodeller.com/~kmodel/index.p ... mitstart=0
kiwi00.jpg
kiwi01.jpg
kiwi02.jpg
kiwi03.jpg
He did a similar job on a Tiger.
kiwi04.jpg
C.Ellis
Private

Post by C.Ellis »

I was thinking about doing one of these as well. I really like the concrete armour look, makes the Stug look beefier. After you've finnished :lolno: this build you'll need a BT-42 to go with it.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Oh! I see what you did there.

Were you thinking of doing a Sturmi or a Stug?

The Atak resin bits make concrete armour easy. Or you can do it yourself, as Herman did.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Ah, Roy. Check this Stug interior out! Even the radio dial appears to glow.

T'is but a flight of fancy though. Recoil and elevation can't happen without the mechanisms. He's gutted a dead Heng Long and made it into a stationary model.

This talented Kiwi upscaled everything from a 1:35 kit. You can see the whole build here:

http://kiwimodeller.com/~kmodel/index.p ... mitstart=0
The attachment kiwi00.jpg is no longer available
The attachment kiwi01.jpg is no longer available
The attachment kiwi02.jpg is no longer available
The attachment kiwi03.jpg is no longer available
He did a similar job on a Tiger.
The attachment kiwi04.jpg is no longer available
Very impressive. I guess it would be possible to have an open topped Stug 3, displaying all the wee internal treasures, which can still clank along under its RC power. That would be half display model, half RC.
I saw some absolutely brilliant models in the Swiss Military Museum at Full, a few years ago. So far as I can tell, they were made from scratch, and had no Trumpeter or other basis.
Whilst trawling the net for good illustrations of recoil, and elevation arrangements, for the StuG IV (none found.. :thumbdown: ), I came across this interesting build in German, but on a Dutch forum. I thought it would mentioning because the upper hull/casemate has been reworked from a StuG 111, and displays some really neat ideas.
http://www.battletanksnederland.nl/phpB ... f=9&t=7179
StuG IV on StuG 111 casemate
StuG IV on StuG 111 casemate
stugp4-17.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

One of the things that will push this build along are the large number of aftermarket Mato parts available and very cheaply, for PzIII and Stug builders. Like a kid in the lolly shop, it was all I could do to stop myself saying "I’ll have one of everything!". Although I haven’t seen many of them built in the last two years, the range of extras indicates they must have been popular at some point in the past. I’ve only been around the hobby for the last two years.

The first thing I want to do is look at the lower hull. There is a significant difference on the Sturmi and that is that the Finns dispensed with the intricacies of schurzen, and instead went for plate armour bolted between the return rollers. This photo also shows a mounting bar for spare track link between the second and third rollers, but that was a post-war modification.
W01-01.jpg
As I detailed a few posts ago, the original Heng Long lower has the side hatches which would need to be removed prior to fitting the plates. But handily, they are omitted on the metal reinforced Taigen version.
W01-02.jpg
My last build was the Panther with which I vowed to stick with the plastic lower hull rather than convert to a Taigen metal reinforced version. This time though, the Taigen lower has so many advantages and extra metal bits attached that I am going with it. When I saw that Dave at Forgebear had them on special with 5.1 gearboxes included in the deal, I couldn’t go past it.
W01-03.jpg
Some plasticard panels will do for the plate armour and I was contemplating using some fine detail miniature nuts. Then as I was looking around my leftover bits and saw there are 24 bolts on each of my leftover old Panther wheels. A bit of gentle cutting had them off neatly and then I superglued them on. There is a hole drilled behind them that allowed the glue to go right through so hopefully that's enough to make them stay in place. Happy Days!
W01-04.jpg

Return to “Heng Long Builds”