Snow UK

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Snow UK

Post by wibblywobbly »

My sis and her husband live outside of Toronto, she is laughing at what is going on here. She sent me these pics a few years ago.
201_0129.JPG
201_0138.JPG
201_0135.JPG
This is my driveway... You should move south Richard, we have a tropical climate this side of town. :D
IMG_20180302_095751.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Not looking good. Just been out to feed the birds. Heavy snow falling and the wind had dropped, so it's packing down quite hard.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Well if you fancy moving to warmer climate with easy access to a large supermarket, I can make my place available for a very competitive price.... :haha:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

What bugs me are the schools ,one minute they want over £400 to take your kid skiing, where the snow is a couple of metres deep .Next they close the school because they have 5mm of snow. I pointed out that how are they going to go skiing and get there because its well over 5mm .I am dammed sure the schools would be open if the teachers didn't get paid for not turning up, I know I didn't get paid if I didn't go,one guy I worked with lived up on the moors high above Burnley in a farm ,he never missed a day but he did turn up in a JCB one time pinch it from his dad.

regards pete
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It annoys me when the AA/RAC tell people not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Who the heck are they to give advice? The simple truth is that they know the more people they can keep off the roads, the fewer breakdown calls they will get, and that will save them a fortune. They couldn't care less how many businesses suffer because the staff haven't turned up for work.

On top of that road salt doesn't work unless vehicles drive over it. No traffic means the roads just turn to ice when otherwise they would be clear.

My sis just emailed me to say that they don't even send out the gritters and snowploughs for less than 2" of snow in Canada as they don't consider it is worth it! lol.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

How can you become an all weather driver if you don't drive in all weathers? :thumbdown:
So that when you find that the sunny wintry morning has turned into a snow filled day while you were at work and now your cautious approach to motoring is about to get your car into a ditch on the way home. :thumbdown:
When I was in Germany in the service we had a transport Sgt who ensured that every license holder would get behind the wheel of a Landie or an AEC 6 wheeler whenever it snowed and there would be a convoy snaking around the local lanes for the rest of the day,
Everyone learned how to drive in bad weather in that unit. :thumbup:
If you don't have access to an Army convoy :haha: take yourself and your car to the nearest industrial estate at the weekend and practise.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Watch out for hidden curbs in carparks, and no, I didn't find out the hard way!
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Having seen some of the driving this week I wouldn't trust them with scalextric cars!
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

971wright wrote:What bugs me are the schools ,one minute they want over £400 to take your kid skiing, where the snow is a couple of metres deep .Next they close the school because they have 5mm of snow. I pointed out that how are they going to go skiing and get there because its well over 5mm .I am dammed sure the schools would be open if the teachers didn't get paid for not turning up, I know I didn't get paid if I didn't go,one guy I worked with lived up on the moors high above Burnley in a farm ,he never missed a day but he did turn up in a JCB one time pinch it from his dad.

regards pete
Schools cannot operate without staff.... & not just teachers. They need catering staff, cleaners, caretakers, classroom assistants, technicians & admin staff, some of whom have to rely upon public transport as not everyone can afford their own transport or live within easy walking distance to their workplace. Many of the support staff are legally needed for the health, safety, and welfare of the students and staff. If key staff are not available a head teacher cannot open their school.

I know this because a) I was chair of Governors at a large secondary school and b) was network manager at another secondary school.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I've always known that people who live in places where it rarely snows tend to freak out when it actually does snow, and I was in Houston, Texas in 82-83 to watch that city shut down for an inch of snow, so I can sympathize with you guys. I also think this is a good time to reflect on just how lucky you are to have a more temperate climate for most of the time. Here in Detroit, it was 18C on Tuesday with clear, sunny skies, and yesterday (Thursday) we got 6 inches of snow in about as many hours (around here we say, "If you don't like the weather, hang around about 15 minutes, it'll change"). That's routine stuff for Detroit, and this is the banana belt of Michigan. On the north shore of the U.P. there are places that get as much as 240 inches (yes, that's 6 meters) a year, and you can still find drifts in the woods into the first week of June.

So it's kinda like when Wade Garret asked Dalton what was goin' on and he replied, "Nothin' I ain't used to, but it's amazin' what you can get used to." So take the day off, build a snowman, and have a little fun with it. @) 8) :haha:

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Off topic”