Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to F Conversion with RC?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to C Conversion with RC?

Post by Max-U52 »

rolling-thunder wrote:Tonight i've been looking at the suspension with a view to getting it made in metal with working leaf springs. I also considering the feasibility of having the wheels copied with a view to CNC some from Aluminium. I'm also considering making a mould of the final drive housing with a view to casting them in white metal in sand. I have no experience but my Son has wanted to try lost wax casting so it has to be worth it for a try?
It might all be pipe dreams at the moment but it depends on who i can interest locally for such a small job of steel cutting and milling?

Hope you won't take offense at this, RT, but you happened to hit on a pet peeve of mine when you said you want to "CNC some from aluminum". People are constantly misusing that term and I thought I'd straighten that out right here.

"CNC" stands for "Computer Numerical Control" and is simply an operating system, much like Windows or Mac are Operating Systems for your PC. When it comes to working in metal, you can turn it or mill it or grind it, but it's not possible to "CNC" metal. CNC simply operates the machine, which then does the turning or milling or grinding.

I'm not sure how it goes anywhere else, but here in Detroit (the original "Arsenal Of Democracy") a machinist would say he was going to "turn" some wheels from aluminum.

Like I said, no offense meant, it's just that for some reason it's important to me that folks have an accurate understanding of my profession (I spun up my first lathe in 1979 and I've been at it ever since, and can now operate just about any manual machine ever built) and it's terminology. But, I've always been something of a strange duck with stuff like that. You have no idea how many times I've told my fellow Americans, "It's Porsch-uh, not Porsche with a silent "E". There are no silent vowels in German!!

And since you've been kind enough to read my little vent here, I'll make an offer. It sounds like you already have access to a lathe, but if you don't, you provide a sketch or blueprint and the metal (or the money for it) and I'll turn those wheels for you. You pay all material costs and postage, and I'll donate the machine time for your project. But keep in mind that I'm guessing you're in the states, not the UK. If you're in the UK the cost of shipping would probably be more than it's worth. But even if you are in the UK and still want me to turn them the offer stands.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

I'm UK based and thanks for the offer. You are right about shipping costs. When i refer to CNC i am talking in relation to the suspension swing arms which wont be able to be turned on a lathe. However being armed with the correct terminology will help. While the road wheels and return rollers will be turned the drive wheels and idlers will need to be milled along with the swing arms. I'll PM you later Max(i've just woke up and need to get the kids ready for school) . It was my intention to take the wheels to an engineer and ask the to copy it. This will be my first time getting something made so i was hoping to have a word with friends locally who might have contacts before i needed to approach an engineering firm. As long as i have an idea of costs i don't mind paying as long as i can allocate funds. Quite often it is the need to have the correct terminology before approaching proffessionals? I'll chat later.
Last edited by rolling-thunder on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

It would appear I can't PM you Max
I am the Law!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Thunder I came across this very interesting video. Got me thinking once you mentioned your build.. Image

https://youtu.be/4tRsvyXugQQ
Tanks alot.... :wave:
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

I have seen that & really enjoyed the video but I've also read about the trouble some 1/6 Tankers have had displaying their Tanks in public if they have any form of pyro in their tanks.
I now have my Tank, have it and stripped it. The previous owner really messed the Tank up. Anything that broke while disassembling the Tank is easily remedied.
I will say now that this Tank will have loads of flex as standard. My solution isn't ideal but it will work until I can get a metal hull made. I'm going to use a plywood tub to strengthen the lower hull. I'm going to buy suitable bearings for all the road wheels & idlers & the return rollers & hopefully the method of hull attachment by using a long bolt will add to the strength of the body? The tank will also have a firewall to add rigidity. I really need to start noting all my ideas down in case it takes me time before I start work. I also need to work out what bits I will need, how many fixings i'll need & how much i'll need to spend so I can budget my finances.
After receiving my Tank I am even more convinced that the suspension will be an easy fix to make from metal
I am the Law!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I understand about the pyro, and unfortunately for my British Brothers you also have problems with paintball. I put a .50 caliber paintball cannon in my 1/6 Hetzer and it's really something.

I did a lot of the same stuff with the Hetzer, bearings in the roadwheels, redesigned the attachment system for the roadwheels, up graded to better motors with chain drive, etc, etc. Have you seen that thread? The videos might give you some good ideas for your project.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to send me a PM, but I just sent one to you so we'll see if that works and if they let you respond.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Thank Max. Yes i saw your videos and that started me looking for a Hetzer. I found the ones on ebay and who knows, i still might be able to afford one some day. I've seen chain driven gearboxes but can't remember where i saw them. Looking at the wheels on my Tank i reckon bearings are the way to go with filler on all the hollow items?
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

After contacting Dragon regarding the rumoured rerelease of the Panzer II kit, this was their eventual response "This item will bring reproduce next 1-2 months, please contact your local hobby shop to order." so I guess i'd better get saving? I could use a clean unbuilt kit to make pattern parts for myself.... well that's the idea?
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Sorry about the lack of updates, the weather hasn't been conducive to working on the Tank outside. I'm now in the position where I can order external parts for my Tank , plus all the nuts & bolts I require to replace the moulded on features. If field of armour tanks release their up grade kit i'll buy that out of preference.
I am the Law!
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

Not sure if you're still pursuing the leaf spring idea but I've bought various thicknesses and widths of spring steel from m-machine.co.uk for Armortek kits.

Adrian.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”