Anyone have WW2 British helmet information?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Anyone have WW2 British helmet information?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It''s exactly 12 inches front to back, and 11.25 inches side to side. Depthwise, it's around 3.75 inches, Mick. I have one, If you'd like photos. I also have a 1943 Pattern German helmet as well. In fact they both featured somewhere in one of my older threads, but I forget which.
Interestingly, the German helmet has a tastefully made pale leather lining, compared rubber and crap leather interior of the Brit bonce protector... Again, if you want pics for comparison's sake, I'll be happy to post them..along with some rulers/ tape measures for reference. :thumbup: :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..and here they are:
British WW2 Steel Helmet- 1942
British WW2 Steel Helmet- 1942
It has seen better times, but haven't we all? :lolno: You can still see flakes of camo. paint on this one.
German WW2 Steel Helmet- 1943 pattern Wehrmacht
German WW2 Steel Helmet- 1943 pattern Wehrmacht
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

and this is what they had for liners. Note the fine leather in the German Stahlhelm!. The '43 pattern often had no unit decals, and dispensed with the protective lip around the helmets edges... If you have (a genuine) one, they can be worth quite a bit of money 8O
British WW2 Steel helmet- liner
British WW2 Steel helmet- liner
The strap has been replaced on this one at some point; but it's still all original. I've had this, and it's German counterpart for almost 40 years... and..I used to use them for gardening and building work :haha: (really!) Why did my neighbours think I was weird :crazy: ?
German WW2 Stahlhelm..liner
German WW2 Stahlhelm..liner
Here's the measure of the German model from stem to stern. It's 11.5 inches. Just .5 in less than the British bone dome..
German WW2 steel helmet- size
German WW2 steel helmet- size
Hope this all helps with your query, Mick. :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

One of my own "I wish I never did that" moments was that I auctioned a British Helmet with crisp provenience markings that identified it as being a Saville Row version.
It had a coat of matt black paint on it,but it was in overall magnificent condition and its leather was mint & supple.
Everything matched according to the experts.

Took me years to figure out I had made a big mistake :'(
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I made plenty back over time though.

My earliest memories of a German helmet was that a friend of my Dad's had one hung in his porch in NZ that had a plant growing in it !!
He was a Welshman, Eddie Crymble I believe his name was, copped a Mauser round through the jaw dropping in during Operation Market Garden.(that is an assumption based on his description of his deployment at the time)
Got a great set of teeth from his captors so he said(I would hate to think where from ) during his rehab in captivity.

I really think it was these accounts, and this visual exposure that got me into all things 'War' at a young age..............
I went on to be a very well appointed collector of Russian firearms, but never lost the affinity for the weapons & hardware of the bad-guys.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Righty ho, chaps. Here we have the Brodie. When I gave it a wee clean, the production details revealed themselves:- 'AMC II 1941'..so, the helmet's older than I thought, and it was made by the Austin Motor Company (like my first Mini Cooper 'S' :) ) Here's a fascinating list of Brodie manufacturers from WW1 to WW2.
https://www.treasurebunker.com/forums/i ... er-stamps/
Interestingly, the design goes all the way back to Agincourt in 1415, when the English away team displayed the awesome power of the Longbow; felling and peppering the flower of French nobility 8O
WW2 British 'Brodie' helmet. Made Feb 1941 by Austin
WW2 British 'Brodie' helmet. Made Feb 1941 by Austin
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now for the requested measurements:
We have front to back (rim to rim):
WW2 British Helmet- front to back measurement
WW2 British Helmet- front to back measurement
and it is 12 inches exactly, as I said before. Parallax affects the measurement slightly in the photo.

Side to side, we have:
WW2 British Helmet measured side to side
WW2 British Helmet measured side to side
It comes to 11.25 inches- near as damn it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Finally, I got the depth of the bone dome slightly wrong before. The liner gets in the way. In reality, the height from the rim to the top is 4.25 inches. But with the liner in the way, you can't stick 4.25 inches of your cranium in there..it's more like 3.75in for that... ;) :lolno:
WW2 British brodie helmet- height from rim to crown
WW2 British brodie helmet- height from rim to crown
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

43rdRecceReg wrote: it was made by the Austin Motor Company (like my first Mini Cooper 'S' :) )
The attachment WW2 British Helmet- AMC 1941.jpeg is no longer available
rumour has it Roy, that your Mini was made of recycled British Helmets! :O
What a coincidence.png
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote: it was made by the Austin Motor Company (like my first Mini Cooper 'S' :) )
WW2 British Helmet- AMC 1941.jpeg
rumour has it Roy, that your Mini was made of recycled British Helmets! :O
What a coincidence.png
:lolno: :haha:
..and just like the donor helmets, it wasn't rust, or bulletproof either :lolno:

Return to “General Questions”