Jerry Cans On Tanks

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Jerry Cans On Tanks

Post by Estnische »

Seems to me like few fully detailed RC tanks go out there without fuel Jerry cans festooned across the engine deck.

OK so a tank that has run out of fuel is just a pillbox, and there are plenty of historical photos for evidence, but I would think the crew would be a little nervous handing the enemy a bunch of ready-made 20 litre Molotov cocktails just waiting for some smarty with a tracer round?

Anybody care to give of their knowledge or experience with tanks?
Raminator

Re: Jerry Cans On Tanks

Post by Raminator »

Estnische wrote:I would think the crew would be a little nervous handing the enemy a bunch of ready-made 20 litre Molotov cocktails just waiting for some smarty with a tracer round?
Well, the Jerries lost the war, so... QED?

In all seriousness though, fuel storage outside the tank isn't typically a problem; the Soviets did it all the time. Granted they used diesel instead of petrol, but the rationale is the same even if the flammability isn't. A full container isn't going to explode or burn if it's shot, since there's no air inside it. An empty container isn't going to explode or burn, because there's no fuel in it. Potentially, a half-full one could (if the shot sparked and the fuel/air mix was just right) but then a fire outside the tank is better than a fire inside the tank. You'd be fine so long as you don't store the cans above any air intakes.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

I didn't think it would explode, Molotov's don't. They're just a means of lobbing petrol without wearing it yourself.

Old-fashioned diesels used to have glow-plugs to get them to start from cold. Not sure what happens with modern passenger diesels and their ECUs now.

Talking about heating, I think it was the Erich Hartmann bio where they captured a Russian pilot and made him tell them how the Russians got their aircraft started in the bitter cold when nothing worked for the Germans. They were in disbelief when he said they poured petrol into the crankcase and lit it. They didn't know whether he was trying to get them to ruin their aircraft, but it worked.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Happy Australia Day Mr E.....................thanks for sharing your country with me !!

Many of the pictures seen in archive or veteran supplied perspectives show German vehicles in-transit or in my opinion, on the way, to or from front line service.
The pics of Tigers with 205L drums on the rear deck are exactly what you say- ready made Molotov's............but no context for that image.
However, the same vehicle on its way to or from rather than IN a front line, may well have needed the extra fuel.
A Tiger unit I would assume would have a huge degree of "give me the #$@#@#'n fuel" in its supply priority, where other units would not.
As for the 20L cans, I would assume they were empty, and be handy for an opportunistic refill rather than a full can hanging out waiting to be wasted by a single rifle shot.
Imagine the consternation if a Panther crew came across an abandoned Allied tank, or better, an abandoned fuel truck and had no means of collecting & transferring said fuel !! even 20L at a time ..........going by the accepted fuel burn rate of the German tanks, a 20L can would very quickly fit into the internal tanks of all 3 common marks in service at that time assuming they were full to the top at the start of their respective line of march which is unlikely .......

Or, there is the far simpler concept of.......they look cool :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

This is a Panzer III at Bovington.
DSC07342.JPG
DSC07342.JPG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
The accompanying information board did say that the cans would be removed before the tank went into combat.

So far as the Russians are concerned, back in the 1980s, I visited the Soviet Union over New Year, when the temperature was around -40. Road vehicles were functioning quite happily though. I remember passing a lorry park, where one or two trucks had fires lit under their fuel tanks. It was a trifle un-nerving to see.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Excellent and logical explanation HB!

And you're welcome. Although I was born here, my father's family is extremely grateful that first Germans and then Aussies shared their countries, when staying in Estonia was likely to result in a one-way trip to the Gulags.

So I'm only one step ahead of you.
Dusty Steppes
Private

Post by Dusty Steppes »

In regards to diesel engines, my truck has glow plugs. You turn the ignition on and wait for the indicator on the dash to turn off and then start it up. And for those really cool winter nights in Wisconsin when the temperature drops to -30 it has a block heater that I can plug in to keep the engine warm.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Interesting thread this, thanks Guys. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

The Russians had a release mechanism inside the tank to drop their fuel tanks before battle. If you look at pictures of destroyed T34's you don't see the fuel canisters on them on very many. The reason you see fuel cans on tanks in pictures is the pictures were generally not taken in the heat of battle. Pictures are normally taken behind the lines by crew or propaganda photographers. They might be on their way to the front about to go into battle and therefore carry as much fuel as possible so they can top up before they actually enter the front lines. Just before moving in for attack you generally would lager and drop drop off canisters, truck fuel tankers etc. to create a refueling point.

Having shot 50cal tracer at 45 gallon drums I can tell you it may not be an explosion but it is one hell of a fireball! There is always some air inside a fuel tank or Jerry Can generally...

A lot of jerry cans you see on German tanks are actually for water. Look for the white stripes...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
RobW

Post by RobW »

A lot of the T34/76's didn't carry the extra fuel drums. It seems to become common practice with the T34/85's later on. Maybe the earlier tanks didn't need to be driven very far before combat given the defensive battles earlier on? You rarely see an image of the KV-1 with extra fuel tanks, but they're common on JS series.

Return to “General Discussion”