An interesting commission - KV220

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: An interesting commission - KV220

Post by AlwynTurner »

Made a start on the cut and shut

It was very tricky to get everything to line up in the right place, I had to cut pieces diagonally to get things in the ight place - lots of fun! :crazy: :haha:

One more cut to put in a spacer and then it's down o lining it all up and fastening it together

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice start!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Alwyn you are a true plastic surgeon :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Armchair all ready with cushions, full screen on, let the entertainment begin. :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Phew what a jigsaw. It took 6 attempts to correctly scale the blueprints, but once done correctly then the jigsaw came together

All I have to do now is trim all the pieces, glue it all together, and reinforce it. This tank must have been just about impossible to drive it was so long and thin, and I believe they had lots of engine problems, I can see why!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You could have been stretching Limos, Alwyn, on an alternative career path :D ..
A question: how do to print and marry your blueprints together? Do you have a printer that can handle 'B' sizes as well as 'A' ? Mind you, A1 would probably do the job, and I imagine the job you'll do here will also be A1 :D ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Looking forwards to this.

Why did you need the diagonal cut at the front, but a straight cut further back? A T10 is on my list and the KV hulls should work for that too.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Guys thanks for the interest. Regarding the blueprints I use Microsoft PC Paint to slice the blueprint into the different views, and then using the Paint print options to increase/decrease the size of the print until it matches the size of the KV1 chassis, Paint creates a multi-page print where necessary to account for the percentage increase/decrease. I then print on A4 and sellotape the pages together.

Rob the diagonal cut was forced because the suspension stop and the suspension mount on the kv220 overlap, so diagonal was the only way to get a straight cut, normally I prefer a vertical cut as it's easier to get the sides to line up.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

And Humpty is back together again
but still with a lot of tidying up and reinforcing to do

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Another very cool and unique build, Alwyn; I'm very impressed with the diagonal cuts to lengthen the chassis.

It looks like the turret is fairly slab-sided, do you think you'll fabricate it from styrene sheet or 3D print it? Like Iain said, it does look like a cut-down KV-2 turret, I'd be interested to see how the footprints compare.

Return to “Other Builds”