Fury movie

Do you know of any good tank related movies or simple decent war movies? Post them here for all of us to enjoy!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Fury movie

Post by PainlessWolf »

S.O.A.G.
No sorrys needed, Doc. Let me put it this way, I never go see War movies for the tactics or the 'War' for that matter. It's all about the machines for me. ;o) I even enjoyed and have a copy of 'White Tiger' Love that Soviet armor in motion. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good afternoon,
I saw it in the theater when it first came out because 'TANKS'. I distinctly remember the hair on my arms standing up when the Tiger started it's engine. ( saw it in a movie house with a top drawer sound system, reclining power seats and food delivered to you at your chair ) I really enjoyed everything about the tanks and the rest of the movie featured good performances by the actors some 70 years removed from what it really was like. Apologies to any I have offended. When a British tank movie comes out with 'TANKS', you can bet your bottom shilling that I will be there in a theater to see it also. ( and own the 4K version like 'Fury', naturally ;o) ( On that note, I picked up 'Dunkirk last week and plan to sit down and watch it this coming weekend. ;o) No spoilers please. *chuckles*
regards,
Painless
I'm guessing that you will find 'Dunkirk' fairly immersive, Painless, as the troops on the beach did :D I hope you bought the Blu-ray version, as the cinematography demands it. I made the mistake of buying a 'used-like new' version from Amazon's marketplace. The disc had deep scratches in it, which corresponded with some of the most breathtaking scenes in the film :-< (one with three Spitfires sweeping majestically into action ). I should have bought a brand new copy, and have just rectified that situation. I loved the original b/w 'Dunkirk' with John Mills, and this one is also atmospheric, but in a slightly indefinable way.
See:..no spoilers !!!
As for 'Fury', whilst the hardware held my attention, the tank crew went so far beyond 'seasoned', and 'hard-bitten', on to the downright implausible...that I'd skip the scenes of OTT 'angst', and cut to the fight scenes. I can't believe the US military was that indisciplined in WW2.... :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Sorry to go slightly OT, but did anyone else think that it was odd how the Spitfires in Dunkirk bobbed and buffeted so that they hardly moved relative to one another? Seemed a little unnatural to me.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Sorry to go slightly OT, but did anyone else think that it was odd how the Spitfires in Dunkirk bobbed and buffeted so that they hardly moved relative to one another? Seemed a little unnatural to me.
Finding three Mk 11a Spitfires in flying condition would be as easy as finding double decker buses on the Moon. :D Given even the great advances in CGI, getting the planes to fly convincingly as a unit would be pretty difficult. There's also the ground effect on low flying aircraft ( that applies to water too.. :think: ).I it can cause the plane to bob around- even properly trimmed. Having done a bit of flying (sadly not in a Spitfire, but in a Piper Cherokee), I had to learn about ground effect when 'flaring' on landing. Luckily, I got the hang of it...after a few 'bumps' and 'circuits'.. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Movies”