Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando Armored Car - Vietnam - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando Armored Car - Vietnam - Bui

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This is the upper hull installation step.

Here are the upper hull parts, prepared and ready for assembling.
Ludwigs V-100 armored car
As shown on Squadron Signal reference, the main joint between the lower and upper hull is rounded on the sides, giving it a much attractive look. So, there is no point is trying to make the joint perfect, putty and a lot of sanding will make it simple and realistic.
Its good that Ludwig provides frames so that the upper hull can be built into a simple module with the right angles, otherwise it would have been a real issue aligning them correctly.
The time consuming work of aligning the lower hull correctly yesterday has payed off. The upper hull sits perfectly on the lower hull with limited work, a pleasant surprise as I was expecting the worst.
I thought it made sense to put braces made of leftover plasticard in order to reinforce the hull joint. You do not want the hull to crack open at the first bump on a wall.
The front parts are surprisingly easy to install and the fit is good. There are very little gaps to fill or to worry about. One of the part is not installed yet because we need access to the wheel wells from above for the following step.
Now that the main upper hull parts solidly assembled, it is time to close the wheel wells with the plasticard parts provided. Even if they are heated up a bit in warm water and pre-shaped as best as possible, the plastic is thick and applies pressure on the hull and I was concerned about the distortion they could create if they were installed before the upper hull is in place. The first one is somewhat challenging to install but the experience helps with the other. No real issue.
They then need to be sanded smooth, flush with the hull.
Considering that I started a week ago, progress is quite fast on these small and simple Ludwig kits. The top of the upper hull will be made removable. As all the hatches will open, there is a lot of access for maintenance, and to install figures. Even the front servo for directions can be easily replaced if needed.
A sight you do not see often, a 1/16 scale V-100 Commando armored car taking shape.
Next step are the putty and sanding phases to make the whole thing smooth and pretty before the smaller parts and detailing can start. This is a fun kit. So far, I recommend it to anyone who want to do something special with a WPL chassis. With so many versions of V-100 and V-150 available sold around the world, with different turrets, there are many possibilities for custom and unique creations.

Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Taking shape nicely!
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Absolutely, it's captured that iconic look already. I'm impressed with how well you managed to match the upper and lower halves, should make for a seamless fit.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Unmistakably V-100 Sir.
And a massive bonus having a truck base to get things rolling.
Happy sanding mate !!.............you will have loads of practice doing the upper/lower joint :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

The V-100 is a sizable vehicle. When compared to the M-113, it is actually longer and as large.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
The body has gone through many phases of putty and sanding, not perfect yet but enough to continue with the build. It is really only after the first coat of primer that the true situation will come out of all the whiteness. No point doing the polishing at this time.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Similar to the M-113 build, the interlocking plasticard parts will need a lot of care to get to a smooth finish but the shape seems right.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
The frame around the doors and hatches were made of thin plasticard strips. This is important for the look.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
The visor on the right was too large and i started the process of making them all similar. Lot of work will go into these.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Now the plan is to go around the vehicle and build everything that needs to be added, one hole at a time. Parts for hatches and hinges are provided but they all need to be dramatically reduced and reshaped for accuracy. Be aware that this specific hatch at the rear had the holes for the hinges on the left. I have not seen photographic evidence of this arrangement so the hinges are relocated at the bottom, as seen in pictures.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Capture.JPG (34.39 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
Knupfer M1x4 brass bolts are used. Remember that sanding plasticard is a dusty business and a mask should always be worn. The model itself requires thorough cleaning many times per sessions. As you can see, my method uses simple material and although not perfect, it's fast and anyone can replicate.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Continuing the build as I advance around the vehicle, here is the right door/hatches.

These are the parts provided for the side door. Basic shaped parts that need to be reworked, everything else must be built and positioned according to references.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Those hinges need to be reduced by about half in size and are now at scale but very fragile. It is not a toy so opening the hatches must be done very carefully. Guys that are efficient at building metal parts would likely create metal hinges and laugh at my little hinges that will not last long. I hear you. All pre-drilled holes (periscope, hinges) needed to be filled because they were not at the right location. This door has a lot of angles and a bit complicated to align.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Although I have no plans to build interior details for this model, I gave the inside of the hatches some basic details. I have not built the interior periscope, yet. There is no luxury of available components on the market. There is no book either on how to build this model in an accurate way so I have to research, think and create whatever I want to do. So far, there has been no major mistake that I know of.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
I saw on a restored vehicle a latch to lock the vehicle from the outside. I have not built it yet because I have to verify it was also present in the field.
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
Ludwigs V-100 Commando
I am learning about the V-100 as a build the various component.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Slowly going around the vehicle, making and adding items one after the other. The headlights will be kept for the end. Shown on top is the Warriors turret, which will be replicated in plasticard later. I think she will be a great companion for the M-113.
Ludwigs 1/16 V-100 Commando
Hatches have been made operable, just for the fun of it. I do not intend to build any interior details.
These 2 top hatches needed some patience to assemble. I assume lot of putty, sanding and polishing is still required to make them smooth once they have been primes and I can see betterr.
Epoxy will be poured later into the visors to simulate the thick glass.
Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Great progress Louis!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Something quite special ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Little touches of genius here and there, Louis :thumbup: . The work on the hinges is just one example, and is as educational as the rest of the work on the chassis. :clap:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Modern Builds”