Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando Armored Car - Vietnam - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando Armored Car - Vietnam - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

As I wait for parts for my current build, I might as well use these terrible winter weekends to start planning my next one. I've been pretty much a "track" guy during all my previous 1/35 modelling life with a few wheeled AFV here and there when there was nothing new available. I remember the 80s when there was maybe one new model per year coming out... terrible decade, that's before the Chinese got into the hobby. Like the LVTP guys used to say, I am pretty much aligned with their "You ain't tracks, you ain't s**t" motto... RC cars never interested me. Since my 1/16 phase started, I've built around 50+ tanks in that scale, but now I would like to try something else.

The Cadillac Gage family of armored cars have been around since the early 1960s and sold around the world. Even the newest TAPV armored cars getting into service in the Canadian armed forces is basically a modernized version of it. So, this is an historical vehicle that I would like to add to my collection. I have decided to build a V-100 in service with the Military Police during the Vietnam war, and will keep company with my M-113.
Cadillac Gage V-100 armored car
Cadillac Gage V-100 armored car
M-706.JPG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
The base for the build will be the Ludwigs "basic" kit advertised as an M-1117. However, the model provided is not an M-1117 Guardian (picture below) which is different. Just by looking at the position of the kit side doors closer to the back wheel vs the front wheel is a clear indicator that the kit is a V-100 or V-150 version. There are also other core differences.
M-1117 Guardian
M-1117 Guardian
M-1117.JPG (82.99 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
Here are the Ludwigs kit parts. Cost is 95Eu for hull and turret component, which is quite reasonable.

Hull parts;
Ludwigs V-150 armored car
And this is the tree for the turret. The kit has only the core turret. No gun mount and no gun parts are provided so the builder needs to ponder his options. Ludwigs is advertising a 20mm cannot to go with the turret. However, I have done quite a bit of research and the real V-150 20mm turret does not have the same shape of the kit turret.
Ludwigs V-150 armored car Turret
Ludwigs V-150 armored car Turret
A V-150 20mm turret should look like this (1/35 Hobby Boss kit below) and cross referenced with other sources. The frontal arrangement, gun mount housing and the overall look and feel are different.
Hobby Boss V-150 with 20mm gun turret
Hobby Boss V-150 with 20mm gun turret
I think the ludwigs turret is much closer to the Belgian Cockerill 90mm turret (1/35 Hobby Boss kit below) and this is probably the best options for builds that will use the Ludwigs turret. There are a few corrections to be made however. I did not see picture evidence of the side by side hatches aligned like the kit part, the commander's hatch should be a bit more forward. In any cases, I have decided not to use the kit turret. I will build a new smaller turret that fit the V-100 Commando. I will keep this turret for a future project. The top part of the upper hull with the turret ring will be replaced as well.
Hobby Boss V-150 with 90mm Cockerill turret
Hobby Boss V-150 with 90mm Cockerill turret
v-150 cockeril.JPG (48.41 KiB) Viewed 6413 times
And of course, a WPL M--35 stripped down chassis will be used and modified for the motorization of the model. So, risk is low that this build will go over budget.
WPL truck chassis
WPL truck chassis
Continuing on following post.

Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Cadillac Gage V-100 Commando Armored Car - Vietnam - Bui

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I have the benefit of having a rare unbuilt Warriors 1/16 scale V-100 resin kit in my collection. That model is basically a solid resin brick that cannot be used for RC. But the plan is to use it as a reference to create this build. I have no intentions on using any the resin kit parts, this would destroy this collector item that i am planning to resale one day.
Warriors 1/16 V-100
Warriors 1/16 V-100
Although it would be tempting to use the wonderful Warriors resin turret on the Ludwigs hull, it has flat armor plates that can be easily reproduced in plasticard. Having it as a reference will greatly help.
Warriors 1/16 V-100
Warriors 1/16 V-100
Showing the Warriors hull next to the Ludwigs hull clearly show that these have the same dimensions.
Warriors 1/16 V-100
Warriors 1/16 V-100
The key for this build will be to adapt the WPL chassis to the Ludwigs hull. Of course, the spacing between the front and back wheel will need to be reduced and the motor will need to be repositioned. The WPL leaf spring suspension is a bit short and cheap so I will see how it can either be reused or replaced. That is the fun part of such build. And the cost of the WPL chassis is cheap so investment/risk ratio is low no matter what happens.
V-100 commando
V-100 commando
Here I am comparing the WPL chassis to the Warrior hull to mimic the potential integration to the Ludwigs hull to help plan the options. The axels have the right length.
V-100 commando
V-100 commando
Things look right...
V-100 commando
V-100 commando
The Warriors wheels kit parts is oversized. Not sure how the wheels would turn and change directions.
Warriors V-100 kit
Warriors V-100 kit
Comparing the Warriors and WPL wheels showing a lot of difference. The V-150 wheels on my 1/35 Hobby boss kit show that their wheels are about 5mm smaller in diameter than the Warriors wheels. So, something in between these two wheels below is likely more accurate.
V-100 commando
V-100 commando
The WPL wheel seems to fit the allocated space on the Warriors chassis more appropriately, but just a bit undersized. The WPL tires are really flat tires... I will therefore need to beef them up so that they look and feel inflated, and they should gain a few mm in diameter in the process. I will have to design a way to do that. I think the WPL wheel cap is close enough to the real one and I will not need rework them to be accurate.
V-100 commando
V-100 commando
The Squadron Signal V-100 walk around book is essential for such build. There is limited info on the web for this vehicle.
Squadron Signal V-100 Armored Carr
Squadron Signal V-100 Armored Carr
I really liked building the Ludwigs M-113 kit and I hope to have as much fun here. The M-113 and the V-150 are basic simple kits that I feel comfortable building and adapting parts as the build progresses. The V-100 I will build is small, with flat armored plates and cheap motorization option that can be adapted, risk is low. At least I will not have to spend half my time sanding/cutting resin to remove mistakes that a vendor did in trying to detail his model.

That's the plan, the fun starts here.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis another rare and exciting buildImageThis should be fun :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Being new to RC wheeled vehicles, associated engines, gears, etc (other than plugging in the battery on a RTR), it takes a bit more time to define where to start the conversion of a truck to a V-100. I decided to move on with what seemed logical to me. Potential mistakes are looming at every corner but everything can be reworked if need be.

In addition to the M-35, I did purchase a DIY (Do It Yourself) version of the associated Gaz truck. There are parts in there that I need, and the rest will be used as backup, spare or replacement if I mess up something. So, first step is to disassemble the rear axel because it will need to be repositioned. At the same time, I need to learn about the structure of the parts, and how they work.
Ludwigs RC V-100 commando armored car 1/16
This unit, not sure how it is called, that is used for steer the truck need to be replaced by a servo. It makes at terrible racket and provide very limited control.
The DIY product provides a servo to replace the stock unit above. Instruction are limited but it is ok, it is a DIY...
The servo is of a specific size that I have not seen before (28 x 34 x 13). I tried to find a better one somewhere with metal gears but could not find any. Maybe with more patience... It flips tightly into the deck but a bracket to hold it in place must be made.
Just need to connect it to the steering, tighten up everything. It is so much smoother than before.
The DIY kit includes a small box to put on top of the servo to place the RC receiver. I will see if I keep it as its fate depends on the integration with the V-100 hull.
According to my calculations, there should be 170mm between the two axels. So, the rear axel was repositioned accordingly. I hope my calculations were right. I put the lower part of the V-100 on top of the two wheels just to show how the distance looks now. Worst case is that I move it up or down the rail later on to adjust as needed...
I have seen limited flexibility in playing with the engine and drive shaft parts. I have not found an easy way to disassemble the drive shaft into single parts. I managed to disconnect the shaft at the joint by gently spreading the lips of the rear U joint that holds the spider in place, nothing broke. So, to reduce the length of the drive shaft end to end, I decided to go the easy way and completely remove the extension to the rear axle and directly connect the engine shaft to the axel shaft. It provides the proper reduction. The rear axle does not jump or move that much so it should be ok. If it does not work, you'll know.
Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very nice! You don't hang about!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

An excellent walk through. I am sure it will be a great help to anyone trying something like this for the first time.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Ad Lav wrote:Very nice! You don't hang about!
Hi, yes, as I wait for Shapeways parts to arrive, it is difficult to stand still during these winter months. When I am building something, I am entering a different world, it keeps my mind off the office work and other daily issues. I need it...
silversurfer1947 wrote:An excellent walk through. I am sure it will be a great help to anyone trying something like this for the first time.
I found that when I am publishing a build, I myself am more structured, methodological and focussed. Knowing that my work will be judged, It makes me want to do a better job, go a bit further than before and avoid cutting corners. With pictures, I see many things on a wide screen I did not see with naked eye so it allows me to go back, correct or improve the model. I also noticed that some of my builds are getting as many viewers months after their completion than during construction. I guess it must be helping some folks.

Regards,
Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Helping ??................sure is mate, your methodical and very well documented approach is immensely helpful.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is the installation of the lower hull.

There is likely many ways to do this conversion. The method I used below seemed the simplest to me, but certainly not the most elegant. However, this is just the basic installation of the lower piece to have a base so i will make it pretty later...

First step is to attach the main struts to the chassis. I reused the hole of the suspension, with larger and longer screws. The height of the armored body is critical and must be calculated properly. The bottom of the hull must be aligned with the middle of the axles, shown a bit further below.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
This is the way I installed the engine. On a real V-100, it should be fully enclosed within the armored shield with the drive shaft coming out of the axles likely at 90% strait up, but the WPL chassis does not allow for that. So, I had to align both axles and try to put the engine as high as possible without creating tensions.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
The engine and drive shaft are coming out a bit but it won't show much. Notice that the kit part was reused but because the main struts are now aligned with the WPL chassis instead of the kit's designer location, modifications to the kits parts are required to adapt it to the chassis. At this point, just forget it about using the online instructions, I just used the available parts the best I can. I will try to enclose the chassis the best I can later, to avoid mud and dirt getting inside the hull. For now, I just want to align main parts and forget about the look and feel.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
It is critical that the hull is well placed on the WPL chassis, horizontal, with the bottom aligned with the center of the 4 axles. It is very easy to make mistakes and install the hull in a distorted way, Be ready for many adjustments phases.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Both front and back were installed as separate modules. It is because the width of the WPL chassis cannot be used all the way end to end. At one point, it needs to go back to the required V-100 width for external accuracy but mainly to fit the front and back armored plates. For the back plate installation, I had to create new larger struts, the ones on the kit part were too small for some reason and the fit was terrible.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Many adjustments from all angles are required. As you can see, the lower hull part of the V-100 have no solid structure because of the wheel well, there are easily distorted in all directions. Care is required in double checking everything many times before gluing anything.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Main parts are in place now but the arrangement will be cosmetically fixed later.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Lower hull view from above
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
The WPL chassis is not ideal for custom builds. Yes, it is cheap and simple, but I would have like to pay a bit more and have something more robust.
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
The models as it stands today. You can see where this is going. Admit that it is more exciting to work on a armored car than a pick up truck...
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Ludwigs V-100 conversion
Next step is the upper hull.

Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Very smart!

Love your use of Ludwigs stranger kits and off the shelf stuff

Return to “Modern Builds”