Tiger 1 manual starter crank shaft

Please post King Tiger I Camo patterns here.
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Re: Tiger 1 manual starter crank shaft

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

Tiggr wrote:There's a couple of videos on YouTube showing a Tiger 1 and a Koenigstiger be hand crank started.

Well worth a watch.
Takes a lot of grunt !

Have a look at this..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsS20WJfBI

.....and this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnb5ouBjNc
Thanks Tiger for the video links...Good stuff :thumbup:
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D
Tamy T1
Tamy Sand Scorcher
Tamy BlackFoot
Tamy Clodbuster
Static Dio's
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Re: Tiger 1 manual starter crank shaft

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

jarndice wrote:I was under the impression that the Tigers hand crank starting system was inertia assisted,
I remember hand Cranking a DHC2 Beaver which had an inertia starter, Unlike the Auster which was started by Prop Swinging it, the Beaver had an electric starter but in the field the battery was used as little as possible so that is why it was started using a handle which fitted into a hole in the side of the Engine Cowling,
Being an inertia starter all you did was wind the handle until it was tight then withdraw the Handle and give the "Wobble Pump" 5 pumps then push the starter and hopefully it fired up if not you had to go through the whole performance all over again :/
I imagine that the Tigers "Maybach" engine was started on the handle in a similar fashion.
Shaun.
Hi Shaun,
Thanks for your input..... :thumbup: Im sure you are right on the money with your statement. I was probably not using the correct terminology, when I asked my original question. I just was looking for a clear look at the crank end that was inserted into the back of the Tiger. I already found pics of the handle end, but just needed to see the other side. I found some photos that looks like a slot or a key was cut on the business end.
Have a ;D good one
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D
Tamy T1
Tamy Sand Scorcher
Tamy BlackFoot
Tamy Clodbuster
Static Dio's

Return to “Tiger I”