To Recoil or not to Recoil- that is the question...

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

To Recoil or not to Recoil- that is the question...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, it's really a question of how much recoil is too much, especially when it is being generated by the tracks and motors? This is traditionally a knotty issue, and many here strive to eliminate track recoil from their HL and Taigen rides altogether. But even some Tamiya tanks have track recoil in addition to barrel recoil. (See below). After looking at countless hours of (real) tanks firing, I feel it's true to say that most rock to some extent, and some way more than others- like the Abrams, for example. Model tanks with barrel recoil should probably have a wee bit of track recoil too, but getting the level right can be tricky, frustrating, and expensive..
Here's the new Tamiya Abrams M1A2. Check the recoil out when it fires. Also immerse yourself in that glorious engine sound :thumbup: I have to get one of these :D !!!
phpBB [video]

Now, here's the barrel and track recoil on a Tamiya Tiger 1.
phpBB [video]

Clearly, the gods of RC tanking- Tamiya- even believe that some measure of track recoil, or a chassis shake, ought to accompany the main cannon shot. :think: While I agree, that HL models tend to jerk
in an excessive way, as if they've just had an electric shock, or had an invite to Harvey W.'s hotel suite, they should move a little- especially when most airsoft models have no barrel recoil.
A tank without track recoil to any degree, and also no barrel recoil, is going to be a boring wee tankie if all it does is use its barrel acting as a flashlight...IMHO :D
I note that Tamiya's M4A3 105mm Sherman is the only Tamiya tank without barrel recoil (I think), but it does have significant track recoil, like a typical HL model. Is that also a tad too much? In its absence there would be hardly any indication of a cannon going off.... :|
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: To Recoil or not to Recoil- that is the question...

Post by tomhugill »

I think tamiya have got it just right. Which is good as you can't change it! It's nice that you can dial it in on most aftermarket boards.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

That is what I like about the Clark and I'm sure some of the other boards too is you can set the recoil up and down as you like it...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
When I was building Mike's Tiger, I used an IBU2 and they have got that dial-it-in type of track recoil. Ian\Tankbear did a great job of setting that board up for me as it was my first venture into Hobby Grade waters. On my own late Tiger 1 (purchased from Jackalope ) I rebuilt it and used a Clark board since I was so pleased with how a previous TK-24 worked out for the M36B1 ( also purchased from Jackalope ) Companies like Taigen and HL are getting mighty close to Hobby Grade country. I have older versions of their MFUs in early Builds and I am still pleased with the IR Flash and Boom from Taigen and the powerful airguns that HL ( sometimes ) delivered on their tanks along with improving and progressive track control. Moving control of the smoker and volume levels to their radio was a huge and sales saving step for HL. Anyway, back to track recoil, the latest TK-24 from Clark on my Tiger 1 has it down to perfection. ( in my book at least ) Just a little track shake and quick recoil and slower return of the barrel. Reload sounds are a Plus. *chuckles* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKVUGfQ7rY&t=15s
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

I try to dial the recoil out as much as I can, giving just a himt of movement.....
phpBB [video]
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for the input, lads :thumbup: Incidentally, if I were buying the Tamiya M4 105mm, I'd be disappointed by its lack of detail, and lack of a recoil; but I would welcome the working lights, with remote on/off feature...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Frankie, that looks pretty darn good, in my opinion.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Thanks for the input, lads :thumbup: Incidentally, if I were buying the Tamiya M4 105mm, I'd be disappointed by its lack of detail, and lack of a recoil; but I would welcome the working lights, with remote on/off feature...
If you want to keep the tamiya electronics, you can put light in all tamiya tanks. Just plug a electronic switch (about 3 euros) in a spare channel in your receiver, and you will be able to switch them on and off at your will.

I dont use tamiys electronics since years, but I put working lights and a smoke machine in a tamiya kng tiger. Even a servo recoil in a sherman.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Tanks do jerk when the main gun is fired, having been on the rear deck when a M60 fired its gun when I wasn't holding on I was knocked off my feet and almost off the tanks rear end.
The motion of the main gun recoil and return to battery is so fast that you would be hard pressed to say that you actually saw it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

greengiant wrote:Tanks do jerk when the main gun is fired, having been on the rear deck when a M60 fired its gun when I wasn't holding on I was knocked off my feet and almost off the tanks rear end.
The motion of the main gun recoil and return to battery is so fast that you would be hard pressed to say that you actually saw it.
..and that's probably why it's so difficult to simulate- especially at 1/16th scale. :think:

Return to “General Questions”