Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to F Conversion with RC?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to F Conversion with RC?

Post by rolling-thunder »

First off, a few disclaimers. I haven't received this Tank yet, I haven't painted it & I don't get the figure with the Tank.
I've bought this static Tank off Ebay from AJCollectables who seems to have quite a lot of figures I like too. Like a lot of people I've always wanted a one sixth scale Tank but for one reason or another I could never afford to fund such toys. Then I came across some videos on youtube showing the Dragon Panzer II RC'd up. I really wanted the AUSF.C but no one has the kits in stock {although there's a rumour that Dragon will be rereleasing a kit , it will probably be the B version .The same one I have?}
I really wanted the C type but as nowhere has them I couldn't resist picking up this Tank. Now it has problems, I believe the rear convoy light is missing & I've been told one of the drive wheels has been glued for some reason. Until I have the Tank in hand I can't make anymore judgements. I am really not a fan of the paintwork or weathering so one of the first jobs to do after I receive the Tank will be to clean it up & strip it down. I'm going to try to get some Glue release spray for what ever Glue has been used on it.
I intend to replace the rounded front end with a boxy front end & see if I can buy or make a Commanders Cupola. I have been building a wish list of parts, mostly tools & tool clamps at the moment.
Attachments
Optimized-s-l1600 K.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 I.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 H.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 G.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 F.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 E.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 D.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 C.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 B.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 B.jpg (118.35 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Optimized-s-l1600 A.jpg
Last edited by rolling-thunder on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the Law!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to C Conversion with RC?

Post by Max-U52 »

It's a good-looking tank, but it's static right now, correct? I looked at the dragon kits myself and the reason I didn't buy one is because I heard from a lot of people that the tracks are the biggest problem. They just won't hold up. And, that's one of the problems with this scale, everything cost so damn much. A new set of tracks for that tank will probably run you at least seven or eight hundred dollars. That's probably more than you paid for the tank. But, if you do get some better tracks and put them on there it should be good to go.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

I've already bought a commander figure to have a play around with & i'll pick another up on Monday? It's is quite possible i'll eventually have to kit bash a figure to get all the clothing details correct?
It is my intention to not only get the Tank rolling but to include turret rotation, barrel elevation & guns firing with a light emitter. Although I have gathered quite a few links to various shops more will always help. I have found a gearbox set & electronics & even tracks but I've not seen any wheels yet. Because of the expense this is going to be a slow build & I still have other projects to finish. I want to take a Toy & turn it into a halfway decent grown up toy. I don't anticipate it being easy but it will be fun & in a worse case scenario i'll end up with decent looking static model?
Attachments
This is the commander figure i'll be using. Perhaps i'll get the correct unit badges?
This is the commander figure i'll be using. Perhaps i'll get the correct unit badges?
26231372_10215102668378470_4836371977800759705_n.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
& this is what i'm aiming for
& this is what i'm aiming for
3301_rd.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
Optimized-s-l1600 M.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 L.jpg
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Max-U52 wrote:It's a good-looking tank, but it's static right now, correct? I looked at the dragon kits myself and the reason I didn't buy one is because I heard from a lot of people that the tracks are the biggest problem. They just won't hold up. And, that's one of the problems with this scale, everything cost so damn much. A new set of tracks for that tank will probably run you at least seven or eight hundred dollars. That's probably more than you paid for the tank. But, if you do get some better tracks and put them on there it should be good to go.
Lol, I've seen 1200 Euro wanted for tracks, so your price sounds better Max. It is a static Tank, at best designed to be pushed around? I've seen the conversion done on the cheap using Heng Long Gearboxes & as long as the Tank isn't driven to hard it should last a while but that isn't the route i'd want to take. I'm just going to sit back & enjoy tinkering. I have an idea about having a metal tub & upper made & see If I can con, I mean convince some engineering friends to help me? As always I need all the help I can get!
Last edited by rolling-thunder on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Well that took off quickly. There's a possibility of an uparmour kit being available as early as next week with a commanders cupola from Field of Armor Tanks. That has made my day.
Attachments
34742883665_ea0ddaf52c_b.jpg
34742919525_696080053f_z.jpg
34742919525_696080053f_z.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
34611394541_253df82d9d_z.jpg
34611394541_253df82d9d_z.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
34580727632_d944163632_b.jpg
34580727632_d944163632_b.jpg (71.2 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
I am the Law!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I will be following this one closely. Always wanted to build one of these
Tanks alot.... :wave:
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Tonight i've been looking at the suspension with a view to getting it made in metal with working leaf springs. I also considering the feasibility of having the wheels copied with a view to CNC some from Aluminium. I'm also considering making a mould of the final drive housing with a view to casting them in white metal in sand. I have no experience but my Son has wanted to try lost wax casting so it has to be worth it for a try?
It might all be pipe dreams at the moment but it depends on who i can interest locally for such a small job of steel cutting and milling?
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

I need to find an exploded diagram of this suspension system.
Attachments
pz2c02-118286aff34001a5a13b617aba75e0bb.jpg
I am the Law!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: Well, clearly you're no slouch when it comes to enhancing one of these :thumbup: . You have some nifty details in place already, and no doubt we'll enjoy seeing more very soon. Keep posting pics on what promises to be an instructive thread :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Most if not all my ideas have come from Eastcoastarmories videos on Youtube. At least they show what can be achieved if you have the skill. I hope i do have the skills, i only started with Tanks back in August last year and i've come a long way thanks to the help and advice of this forum.
I am the Law!

Return to “Larger Scale Military”