Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

Post by Ad Lav »

Such a shame it's flawed.

Send the photos to vandra model and tell him to fix it. A forum like this highlighting issues can't be good for his sales - the M7 and M10 are a little way off being accurate but do look thenpart.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Excellent work! I’m working on a Jagdpanzer IV resin kit at the moment, the problems I’ve encountered are trivial in comparison.
Your persistence in those temperatures must be applauded
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
Ad Lav wrote:Such a shame it's flawed. Send the photos to vandra model and tell him to fix it. A forum like this highlighting issues can't be good for his sales - the M7 and M10 are a little way off being accurate but do look thenpart.
Vandra has talent is casting parts. I just do not understand why they make obvious mistakes that could be easily avoided. Although I am grateful for them producing kits that are not available elsewhere, things could be so much better if they could research their subject a bit more before creating them. I sent Vandra pictures of my M7, they were very happy and posted them on the Vandra Facebook site. I will do that with this build as well.

In this post, the Ram upper hull height has been trimmed the best I could with the time I was willing to put on it, and glued it back together. Overall, I managed the get it down by 8mm and make the turret ring horizontal.

In this picture, the turret top part was reduced by 7mm in height from the bottom and just placed on top of its base for the picture. You will also notice that I started the work to move the right hatch forward, by some 7mm to try to make it as per reference. The whole thing needed to be redone anyway. The left hatch is to remain where it is.
Vandra 1/16 Ram tank conversion
Plasticard was put to fill the larger gaps and it was reshaped. There is no putty on it yet,
Big putty job coming.
The whale body look is something I worked hard trying to get rid of, not easy. One major flaw that I did not correct (yet) is the driver position extending too much at the front by probably 1cm, it would have been possible but I did not think it was worth the effort. It would have demanded a rework of many armor angles. But now that I look at it on pictures, maybe after the new year holiday and with a cooler head, I will find the courage to redo it. We'll see.
At least the Ram looks better than this morning and the risk factor has decreased significantly.
I will continue work after the new year.

Happy new year !

Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

What a wonderful transformation :clap: :clap:
Really enjoying this one. Have a great New Year!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

I'm glad you salvaged it Louis, that was a major operation; a real credit to your skills and determination. I don't think I'll complain about my Juckenburg kit after seeing the trouble you've gone to here! Well I still will, but I'll do it quietly under my breath.

The Ram's a really unique tank, and it'll be right at home in your stable with your other fantastic builds. Looking forward to seeing more!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I had a few hours this am before going to a family reunion so I looked at the Ram again. The extended driver compartment was really annoying me. I did not go this far to start cutting corners, I am going all the way and decided to crack open the upper hull again, might not be the last either.

In this picture, you can see that the driver compartment is extending way too much to the front in relation to the machine gun turret ring (compare to Verlinden kit), and the inclination of the lower plate is too steep. All I see is a Beluga whale head on my tank.
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
I have decided to move back the hatch by 15mm in order to align with the blue print and Verlinden kit. The slope of the front armored plate will be corrected at the same time.
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
Glued the hatch more or less where it should be according to what I can see, without trying to be scientific. I interpret what I see.
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
Started putting together the new front hull made of a base of thick plasticard unto which expoxy and then putty will be used to recreate the joints, curves and the cast finish. The shape is complex, Vandra obviously had a lot of difficulty and seems to have lost itself in interpretations. But they should have used some markers to remain into specific boundaries. One or two mm in variance is not too bad, but 15mm, come on... it does not go unnoticed.
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
Fix one thing and 2 more issues stands out. In this picture, you can see that the driver compartment is way too large as well. I will see what I can do to reduce it, whatever it takes...
Vandra Ram Tank
Vandra Ram Tank
Regards, Louis
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Inspirational skill and determination there in abundance, Louis. :thumbup: Despite the risk of frostbite, your willingness to overcome some tricky flaws in the kit make this another worthy thread to follow. :clap:
I'm glad that your efforts are now beginning to pay off at last.
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

This kit leaves a lot to be desired and I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic on it Louis. I saw the photos of your incredible M7 on the Vandra Facebook page but Mr Vandra should be a bit more transparent and include a link to your build thread so the unsuspecting buyer can see how much modification and work needs to go into making one of those kits look like that.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

For a fairly expensive conversion kit I am a little disappointed that it's that much off being accurate.

Having said that, you are doing amazing work.

I won't be buying one because of the flaws, I will enjoy the build! :)

I'll save my money for Nick Aguilar's stuff.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
B_Man wrote: I saw the photos of your incredible M7 on the Vandra Facebook page but Mr Vandra should be a bit more transparent and include a link to your build thread so the unsuspecting buyer can see how much modification and work needs to go into making one of those kits look like that.
I sent Vandra the build link with the pictures, with comments that their kit was highly modified. They only posted the pictures. In any cases, their M7 is no longer available for purchase.

Return to “Other Builds”