King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by Max-U52 »

Welcome aboard. Nice tank. Just so you know, the biggest problem with the HL decals is that no German tank had a four digit ID number, they used a three number system.

Also, the cross on the tank is a "Balkan" cross. The more stylized version associated with honors such as The Blue Max, is the "Ritter" cross, and the swastika is the "Hakenkruez", but I may have mis-spelled that one.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Great tip Shaun, Thanks! I did go with the German outfit as Archer sent me a lengthy letter telling me the issues with their waterless ones. They suggested the waterslide were much better for my application. I'll hit a hobby shop and pick up the two items you mentioned before I do the decals. I did decals as a kid building Revell models so am fairly familiar with them and some of the issues associated. Your post certainly clarified the process so they look painted on instead of looking like decals.

I am much obliged for the help!
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve, I mentioned Decals being printed on one sheet with no separation between the individual decals,
Pedinghaus is one of those people who do that, So cut the decal very close or you will have a lot of excess clear transfer that is a true pain to cut off once the decal is in place.
Also their decals are top quality BUT they are VERY VERY Thin,
Take your time and make sure you have a set of tweezers and a paint brush at hand because you might need to take two or three goes getting the decal sited.
Remember use plenty of "Micro-Set" on the area first.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Will do Shaun - Thanks again!
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max said that no Tiger carried more than three digits on the Turret---Well yes and no, Steve (Norton1) has a Tiger 2 and Max is right, No Tiger 2 had four digits on its turret,
BUT Tiger 1s of 13./SS-Panzerregiment 1 From July 1943 carried Turret Numbers---1305---1304----1311----1312----1313----1314----1321----1322----1323----1324----1331----1332----1333 and 1334, But Max is absolutely right when he says no Tiger2s carried 4 digits on the Turret,
The Heng Long Decals are grossly inaccurate because they start in the 3000 series and no German Heavy armour had numbers as high as that.
By the way my source is "Tigers in Combat 11 by Wolfgang Schneider"
Shaun.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:Max said that no Tiger carried more than three digits on the Turret---Well yes and no, Steve (Norton1) has a Tiger 2 and Max is right, No Tiger 2 had four digits on its turret,
BUT Tiger 1s of 13./SS-Panzerregiment 1 From July 1943 carried Turret Numbers---1305---1304----1311----1312----1313----1314----1321----1322----1323----1324----1331----1332----1333 and 1334, But Max is absolutely right when he says no Tiger2s carried 4 digits on the Turret,
The Heng Long Decals are grossly inaccurate because they start in the 3000 series and no German Heavy armour had numbers as high as that.
By the way my source is "Tigers in Combat 11 by Wolfgang Schneider"
Shaun.
So what did the numbers mean? With three digits I believe it was company, platoon and tank. I also notice all the four digit numbers start with 1. What's up with that? This is the first I'm hearing of four digits on German tanks so any info you have is appreciated.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max Hi, What do the numbers mean ?
I used to think that the first two (13) were the indicator of the Regiment (13 Panzerregiment) and the last two being individual identifiers,
But while Herr Schneider does emphasise the unique numbering of this Regiments Tanks he offers no explanation for it,
So my reasoning until I have a good but different explanation is the one I am sticking with. :haha:
By the way the COs Tank in the Regiment was initially 1305 which was replaced by 1304 later.
The accepted view that Tiger1s and 2s always carry three digits on the Turrets whilst that is universal on Army Tiger 1 and 2s only rarely applies to Tanks in the "SS" Schwere (Heavy) Battalions,
For instance the same Regiment (13/) Being an SS Regiment Started out carrying the Turret identifiers "S" (Schwere) 501 and the rest of the regiment carried "S" then just two numbers such as S10--S11--S13 up to S42.Other SS regiments prefixed two numbers on their Turrets with either "A" "B" "C" depending on the Companie,
Some Tigers carried no numbers on the turret at all indeed Schwere SS - Panzer Abteilung 53 only the first Companie carried Turret Numbers,
They were 100---111---112---113---114---121---122---123---124---131---132---133---134, The two other Companie, A total of 25 Tigers carried no numbers,
If you want a good nights sleep I can offer much greater detail, :haha:
Shaun.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

No, I think that will do and I should sleep OK. ;)

I always thought the system was much simpler, even though I knew about the "S24" type numbers. But I've always heard the HL numbers are totally inaccurate, and that seems to still be true. :)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
The four digit _Heng Long_ supplied decals all correspond to the model number of the tank in their catalog. They are completely fantasy as far as unit numbers go. I cannot speak with any authority on four digit unit numbers for actual German Armor.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Hi Steve

How well does your HL KT perform turning corners ?
Mine was rubbish on the living room carpet, let alone outside on grass or gravel

In fact I go as far as to say it was "piss poor" :thumbdown:
(Mine is the HL "Pro" version with metal tracks and gearboxes)

I have a metal Torro version which can run rings around the HL version.

Regards

Paul
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen

Return to “Heng Long Builds”