Super glue trick

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
capt midnight
Corporal

Re: Super glue trick

Post by capt midnight »

It's a pretty good trick to set up the glue. JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OVER THE GLUE WHEN YOU PUT THE BAKING SODA INTO IT!!!!

If you get ANY of the fumes into your eyes, you'd swear that the devil himself just installed a couple of red hot pokers!! How did I learn this? :{

I started buying a small spray can of accelerate to use with the CA. It does the same thing, without all the fumes. The kind I use even smells a little like vanilla, so it's indoors friendly.

Just a little FYI

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I used to get the glue with tins of accelerator for building work, so expensive compared to this trick.

Oh, and mind your eyes. . . . Lol.

Mick.
Not where I get them from!
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I bought a spray small can a year or so ago, still have about half let. I think it cost around $6US

Bill
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hi chaps

there are a lot of tricks and tips related to the cyanoacrylate glues.

i use two of them when needed. To accelerate que setting time of this type of putty made of two components (lots of brands)

mix the two parts and place it on site, if you want the setting time become almost nil, cover the surface with cyanoacrylate. I used this to glue and reinforce the ball bearing supports for the output shafts of all my tanks.

the other tip is to use the cyanoacrylate to cover sewing thread, it also make this rock solid. This old trick is used for example to repair the broken 'nipples' (i do not know the word in english) where the screws are screwed. Or to reinforce any cilyndrical part like i did here

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Neat trick! The rear flaps/track covers on the HL King Tiger break,don't stay in, are a PITA. I super glued them and they held for a bit but while painting and removing the tracks today the one sides tabs came off again. I was going to drill a hole, amy still do that, through the tab and the flap and then super glue a metal pin in it. This little trick may save me the trouble!

Thanks!!!!
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Norton1,
I drilled and put a nail through mine to keep them mobile but not 'too' mobile.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Mud Guard Mod 2.jpg
Mud Guard Mod 2.jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
...Here for the Dawn...
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

My thinking exactly. I first have to get the tabs that broke off to stay on. Probably heat up a track pin and stick it through them to hold the tabs to the flaps. Kind of funky as the rest of the tank is near bullet proof.
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

That's gonna come in handy
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Speaking of super glue (CA) how often does your almost full tube of glue plug up causing you to try and clear it out with a needle,really irritating yes! Try this and keep from blowing a gasket. Buy a roll of plumbing teflon tape.
Remove the cap and then the spout, wrap the metal threads of the tube of CA and then the threads on the spout with the tape thereby sealing the tube when not in use.also remember to refrigerate.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I've started using the Gorilla brand CA. I've gone through 4 or 5 tubes so far, with none showing the dreaded plugging of the tip, followed by twisting the tip off. All the glue is used out of the bottle, with no waste. I've yet to throw a bottle away with any set up glue in it. I'm using both the regular and gel type, with the same results on both.

Bill

Return to “Tips and Tricks”