Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

While I'm waiting for bits to take my Tamiya Pz IV project further, I still have the old Asiatam rolling Pz IV hull lurking in my back room. Every time I walk past it, it somehow looks peeved and disgruntled. Well, that's how I felt when I had to saw almost a centimetre off its alloy rear end, and rework all the fittings that arrived with it. I have a Heng Long airsoft upper for it, and it was my intention to use that somewhere in the not-so-distant future. :yawn:
But the lustre left that project long ago until, that is, I saw this thread on RCU today: :)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... build.html

It's a detailed thread, and well worth perusing if you have nothing better to do. :thumbup:
For me, though, it offered a departure from my normal turreted tank direction. So....I went and ordered the kit from Asiatam. Yes..I must be a glutton for punishment, considering my past experience with Mr Tams' Pz IV product, and considering the pasting I gave the firm too.
In any event, on the face of it..it doesn't look as though I'll need to rejig the whole thing, and it's 90% plastic anyway...should any mods be needed. It looks from the search feature here that the StuG IV had been largely overlooked, as all references seem to point to the StuG 111 being the favourite model, and so a build might inspire others. :think: Maybe not. Christmas is looming large on the horizon, and bank balances are probably tipping into the red already :D
https://www.asiatam.de/product_info.php ... ihj0slk244
Asiatam StuG IV upper hull conversions kit
Asiatam StuG IV upper hull conversions kit
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very interesting build. I expect yours will look fantastic
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, 43rdR&R,
The Profiline Resin kits can be a lot of work but the results are well worth it. I would not have a 1/16 early RC StuG Ausf III B with out one of them.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
The metal suspension and tracks eat up the bracken like nobody's business..JPG
Cabinet lighting.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Can't wait to see what you do Roy. I've been ivestiagting Stugs, and I can't believe how much fruit is out there in the aftermarket bits for the III.

Let me know if anyone does a 1/16 Fu radio?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

There's a Fu2 and FU5 set available on Shapeways. If you look at my Nashorn thread, Louis posted a link. I shall have some photos up tomorrow.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Good luck with the build. AsiaTam has some nice products but in my experience their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. Either way it will be an interesting build to follow and might spur me on to starting the jagdpanzer IV conversion kit I have tucked away in my workshop.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Building this conversion kit is challenging for sure. Every part was a puzzle to put on, potential for improvements unlimited. My kind of modelling project. Have fun.

Regards, Louis
Asiatam Stug Iv
Asiatam Stug Iv
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning, 43rdR&R,
The Profiline Resin kits can be a lot of work but the results are well worth it. I would not have a 1/16 early RC StuG Ausf III B with out one of them.
regards,
Painless
A worthy kit done justice to with a worthy build, Painless; but then I'd expect to see nothing less in your Colorado tank domain. :thumbup: :D Currently, I've not had any dealings with the Pz 111 as my current drug is the IV..but in time
I may get a different prescription :D
The Pz 111 is well served with aftermarket kits, but they're a tad scarce for the IV. I saw Chris Ludwig's Jagdpanzer IV kit, and mulled that over. In the end, I didn't fancy major alterations to the front of the Asiatam hull, especially after the surgery at the posterior end :problem: Then there's the challenge of having to raise the front sprockets. That's a potential world of pain.. :lolno: I will check Profiline out, though.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Thanks Richard
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Can't wait to see what you do Roy. I've been ivestiagting Stugs, and I can't believe how much fruit is out there in the aftermarket bits for the III.

Let me know if anyone does a 1/16 Fu radio?
It won't be until well into the New Year, Estniche. I have the Christmas break to deal with first (Family visits etc., and woeful excess..); then the Tamiya IV; but at least I'll have most of the bits I need to hand.
Yes, The Panzer 111 is ripe for alteration, given available aftermarket parts; the Pz IV less so. :problem:

Return to “Other Builds”