Turret jerky fix

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Turret jerky fix

Post by Norton1 »

New tank
New tank
My new King Tiger had a turret that was a bit jerky.

So I took the top off, pulled the turret drive unit off, and found the main pin that holds the main drive gear was a bit loose. The factory pin measured .115 so I machined a new one at .120 and it was a light, push with my thumb, press fit. Turret rotates much more smoothly. I should have done a bit of a relocate on the unit as the gear clearances on the drive gear and the turret ring is a bit sloppy. But it certainly helped with accuracy!
Turret gear box
Turret gear box
Cutting the new pin
Cutting the new pin
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Turret jerky fix

Post by BarryC »

Excellent deduction and solution! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Thanks! I think I am going to have to move the drive box though. It sets just a tad to far away from the ring gear. Super glue has worked on a couple of things but it may take 2 part epoxy to hold the box in place as it sets on pedestals that will have to be cut and moved. Oh what fun!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Problem-solving is just one feature of this multi-faceted forum :thumbup: Mind you it does help to have access to a lathe and, of course, to know how to use it. That was a neat solution and suggests you'll join the more inquisitive and pioneering members of the forum in future (and there are plenty :D ), by helping to improve the performance and looks of our scale armour :thumbup: 8|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

You might get away with keeping one locating pin and using that as a swivel to swing the other two around so that the gears mesh. That way you have at least one solid pin which should help the new adhesion. Thanks to a tip on here I bought some double sides 3M type tape from the local DIY store, the sort with the sponge in the middle, that stuff will hold servo' s in place so may well work on the motor casing. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Thanks Wibblywobbly - I had figured on keeping one of them. I would try the double sided tape - but I am concerned that if it fails I would have to go inside again. But if you've had good performance out of it it would certainly simplify the move.

Thanks again!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”