Rock Crawler

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Rock Crawler

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Yes, Yes, but can it blow an oil well fire out??? *chuckles* Great work there, W.W., puts me in mind of the Kubrick movies.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Mark66
Recruit

Rock Crawler

Post by Mark66 »

wibblywobbly wrote:Just a few mouldings to print and glue on, but 95% done, and even hooked up six led's that work. One thing I did notice was that although I have a big bag of led's they weren't all the same brightness, so I had to keep swapping them out till I got six the same. There is an led socket on the esc, but it puts out 5.7v, so I ran the power through a voltage regulator adjusted to 3v output and hooked the led loom up to that.

Sorry it's a short video, the blooming battery went dead after 60 seconds...grrr!

phpBB [video]
Must be something in the air, I’m building a rock crawler/truck/Unimog/ tank towing beast, trying to get my money’s worth with as many uses as possible.

That’s looks fantastic, I’ve got to get myself a 3 d printer, I have an old Tamiya unimog body but if far to small so Im going to extend it the old way with with glue card blood sweat and tears all mixed together Image ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I keep telling myself to do a Stalwart, but its finding a base chassis and axles to use as a source that frustrates my ambitions, the axles I can get from anywhere, even the HL truck ones would do the job, but I would have to scale everything to fit around them.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Mark66
Recruit

Post by Mark66 »

I’m going 1-10th yes it’s a little big but the Unimog U5000 is a big beast + this has to be the master of all its trades and the jack of none.

Looking at the chassis and axles I’m going for a traxxas or scx or gelande then building it around that, upgrade to metal axles + diffs a good rock crawler ESC and a 35 turn motor because it has to crawl-haul and maul it’s way through the different applications I have planned for it, 2 speed gearbox high/ low ratio and very grippy big nobberly tyres, excellent ground clearance with a good towing bracket for a dolly to hitch up to, finally sound and lights via a GT65 or similar, + a few other bits along the way.

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I am now considering this to finished. I will take it for a test run sometime and then decide whether the esc, steering servo and motor need replacing with something more suited to rock crawling.

I have used around 1.5kg of filament to do this one, but as always I have learnt a great deal about parts design, reducing filament required, and reducing print times.

The CR-10 in combination with Cura achieves remarkable results. Everything, including the curved parts all slot together perfectly.
Attachments
IMG_20171129_100129.jpg
IMG_20171129_100108.jpg
IMG_20171129_100052.jpg
IMG_20171129_100031.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

No paint job?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The typical colour for space stuff is white, so I used white filament. When it gets scratched and knocked it won't show as badly as a painted surface would. :thumbup: I will have a go at stencils and put NASA symbols and things on it.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Mark66
Recruit

Post by Mark66 »

That looks great the colours fine just needs a few decals to give it depth,

I’ve decided on the hobbywing 1080 ESC with programming card and the servox 20kg steering servo with a power hd shift servo,

The jury’s still out on tyres but the standard scx10’s or the traxxas ones will be fine for the moment.

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

How about these. 3D effect logo's, infilled with colour. :D Need to put spots in the craters on the 3D lunar surface on the background, but they turned out ok.
Attachments
IMG_20171129_140321.jpg
IMG_20171129_140241.jpg
IMG_20171129_140229.jpg
IMG_20171129_140157.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Love it Rob - did you use CURA print fom jpg? :clap: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”