SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have just heard from Alwyn that my Nashorn is in the hands of the courier, so am opening up a build thread for it. I just hope that what I can produce will at least bear comparison with Alwyn's original build and the super work done by Carl with his version. My immediate task is to sort out a shopping list, a lot of which is fairly straightforward, but I could do with some advice regarding suitable gearboxes. As I understand it, Panzer III gearboxes are most suitable, but there seems to be a wide range of types and prices.
Forgebear sells this one https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p3 ... 203-S.html but it says "fit Taigen metal base only"
rctank.de lists 3 different ones
PANZER III - 3.1 PRO LOW STEEL GEARBOXES WITH 380 /13.000 RPM MOTORS, SHORT AXLES
PANZER III - 5.1 PRO LOW STEEL GEARBOXES WITH 360/17 500 RPM MOTORS, SHORT AXLE
PANZER III/US SHERMAN - 5.1 STEEL GEARBOXES 4.0 METALL VERSION WITH 380/18.000 RPM MOTORS, SHORT AXLES

Advice or alternatives would be very welcome.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

Post by AlwynTurner »

And here's what's coming

I'm really looking forward to watching this build from basic kit to a unique tank. Good luck Richard and enjoy. :thumbup:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I'm so glad I've got in the queue for one of these beauties.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

I saw one of these on Sunday, the detail & that gun were amazing!!!
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi Richard ImageI am very envious of your new kit! Here is a photo of the gearboxes I used in my kit. Unfortunately I don't know the part numbers.

These are Taigen gearboxes and are very smooth runners. Nothing fancy ImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Richard these would work fine and are steel!

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p5 ... _Tank.html

Can't wait to see your build. She's going to be the pride of your collection Image
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thanks Carl. I shall be studying your build thread in fine detail - you set the bar very high, and I now find I have Tom Hugill snapping at my heels. No pressure there then! As I said above, I just want to do it justice. It's the very least I can do after all the work that Alwyn has put into the kit.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Thanks Carl. I shall be studying your build thread in fine detail - you set the bar very high, and I now find I have Tom Hugill snapping at my heels. No pressure there then! As I said above, I just want to do it justice. It's the very least I can do after all the work that Alwyn has put into the kit.
Richard you are too kind! The wonderful part of Alwyn's creation is it really lends itself to your own bit if design and craftsmanship. It's my favorite build for sureImage Image
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

AlwynTurner wrote:I'm really looking forward to watching this build from basic kit to a unique tank.
You say "basic kit", but it's more detailed and feature-complete than most RTR tanks on the market. :haha:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I am now the proud owner of a Nashorn :D The only thing that had got damaged was the front left mudguard had come off - easily rectified. It looks so much better in the flesh so to speak, if that is possible. The gun assembly is a phenomenal piece of design and manufacture.

I ordered up a box of bits this morning from forgebear. Within a few hours, I was emailed to say they had been despatched. What a pleasure this forum is, dealing with people like Alwyn & Dave.

The next step is to plan a campaign of disassembly and construction to ensure I get the best possible result I can achieve, starting by reading and re-reading Alwyn and Carl's threads.
Richard

Return to “Other Builds”