Painting the Tanks?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tiger111
Private

Painting the Tanks?

Post by Tiger111 »

Good day all the guests and fellow members here at the forum! :wave:
Today I'm just posting a quick question about painting RC tanks. I plan to get a new unpainted chassis to replace a cracked one (long story) for my Tiger I, however I as of yet have NO experience whatsoever how to paint these tanks. I've only painted static models at a time and they always turned out horrible looking. I want my "new" Tiger to have a battle torn feel to it, so I plan to make my Tiger a metallic grey like in the photo below. Is it possible for me to do? Also, if were on the subject, is there an easy way to make "dents" on my model? I would like my Exhaust on my new chassis to be dented up a bit. If anyone could give me a detailed process for beginners on painting Tanks it would be extremely helpful! :D

Them: WHY do you like tanks so much?
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Them: O_O
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Painting the Tanks?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Might I suggest that to avoid the 'cracked chassis' problem in future, you invest in a Taigen Tiger metal chassis and running gear. Many members here have taken that route- me included :thumbup: Here's a link to the Taigentanks spares and upgrades page... It's also surprisingly inexpensive. :D
http://www.imex-model.com/Catalog/EFLIP ... .html#p=40
Taigen/Imex are based in Florida so that should keep postal charges down. For what you get with the alloy chassis and running gear, it's well worth the investment, and in many ways will put your future armoured pride and joy almost on par
with the Tamiya Tiger 1- full option kit- which also sports an alloy chassis.
As for painting, there are loads of examples of it in the archives here, along with simulated battle damage. Just use the 'search' feature. Youtube is also stacked with examples. You could also look at: http://www.finescale.com/how-to
for expert advice on model painting. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

What I think you are hoping to achieve takes multiple layers of painting techniques. Things like washes, filters, Chipping, pre-shading and dot-technique all add layers to trick the eye that your 1/16 tank is full size. You can buy books or look up YouTube videos.

But most of all you need to practice to see how much ‘touch’ and product will give you the right result. I learned this doing slot track scenery, and I’m finding out the same is true for other model building. Look up Andy’s Hobby Headquarters on YouTube as a starter.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The practice recommendation is highly valuable. Get yourself some 1/35 test kits, the older Tamiya or Italeri kits are cheap and good for improving your skill.
Tiger111
Private

Post by Tiger111 »

Thanks for all the helpful tips and comments on this post! I guess my real question now should be what is the easiest way to paint the tanks without them looking awful of fake, possibly a step by step list on an easy way to paint them? :think:
Them: WHY do you like tanks so much?
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Them: O_O
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

You tube is your friend...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

There is a really good multi-part series on weathering that starts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp2j_8TwsX0

It's easy to get carried away with weathering and damage effects so my advice is always less is more.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Might I suggest you do a little research on a TIger 1 of an operational area you find most interesting,
As yours is an Early you might like to look at the various finishes for a Tank of the Tunisian Campaign or a Tiger 1 of Operation Barbarossa,
There are some very interesting schemes that really bring your Tank to life.
Don't be afraid of using the humble "Paint Brush" or "Rattle cans" and do remember German Armour from 1936 until 1945 used "Red Oxide" undercoat.
By the way I would dispense with the Heng Long Decals, They are just plain wrong,
Archers and Elite are both American makers of top quality Decals that I would recommend along with Peddinghaus from Germany.,
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Just. Get a test subject. That particular example requires a set of techniques. The link to genessis model and andys hobby hq is great. Try also Panzermeister36. He uses base coat an then mostly oil paints. He has great guides an uses limited products to a great result.

Return to “General Questions”