M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi Carl,

I thought at first I would need epoxy but it is quite inconvenient to work with. I just use think superglue and the bond is very strong with the plasticard. But I will add reinforcement braces later on inside.

Nothing is standard on this model. Planning and solutioning is as fun as the building itself.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thanks for the information. I have had good success with thick super glue joining plasticard before and have used epoxy but it's messy and a bit difficult as you said to work with.

Thanks for sharing this build with us
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Gee Louis, you are starting an itch that I might scratch.

I see this every time I pass through the rural city of Wagga Wagga - an M113 'Scorpion' fitted with a 76mm main gun.

Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Great start. Interesting to see gearboxes need cutting.

Do you plan to add sounds?

Wheels are the expensive bit but look great.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Someone can spend hundreds of dollars on specialized gears and equipment for this vehicle. But my plan is always to use the cheapest alternatives. Here is the selected electronics being tested. Most of it are cheap or antique Heng Long stuff from the spare box... but they work well. It cost almost nothing.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
The main plastic parts to which the Taigen torsion plate suspension will be attached are installed.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
As you can see, the drive shaft is quite low on this vehicle. There is no room available for the bottom of the gearbox over the suspension, this is limiting options.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
The gearbox metal had to be trimmed at the front so that the drive shafts can fit into their sockets.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
This is how the gearbox will be installed.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
This is a rear view of the mounting plate for the gearbox, at quite an unusual angle. It is made of leftover plasticard from the kit sheets. The plate will be reinforced later.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
Need to ensure there is enough room for the front armored plate
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
The drive shafts are too long, the sprocket is way too much on the outside. The shaft will need to be trimmed by at least 5mm. A couple of mm can likely come from the sprocket itself. I will check that next.
M-113 APC
M-113 APC
Regards,

Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Estnische wrote:Gee Louis, you are starting an itch that I might scratch.

I see this every time I pass through the rural city of Wagga Wagga - an M113 'Scorpion' fitted with a 76mm main gun.

As I was saying, the possibilities of the M113 are endless. If HL had one available for 80$, I would probably have 20 of them...

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice work Louisquite an adventure getting those gearboxes in but if anyone can it's you!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

The Ludwigs sprockets come with a bag of Knupfer hex bolts for a realistic mounting of the metal plates. However, I just noticed that all the dents will require filing and polishing work. As they are, the dents are too large and sharp, they cut into the plastic tracks and do not work well. So, a lot of finetuning will be required on these before they are operational.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
The Heng Long gearbox drive shafts had to be reduced by 4mm using a file, a 20 minute job on each.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
The drive shafts are properly centered. I just hope the whole thing will align with the suspension arms, and the road wheels, coming soon.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
The sprockets are a bit too big in my views, a common sight with RC tanks. However, filing the dents should provide more room for the tracks. It is ok as it is but I would like to have one more millimeter if I can.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Dry fitting the tracks with the sprocket in order to analyse the overall situation. Looks ok. Need to leave room for the gearbox M113 drive cover than I am planning to make for each sides, similar to the Sherman.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
The panzer IV Heng Long gears are finally installed on the model. Cost of M-113 motorization; 12 $
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Dry fitting the front panel
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
The joint between the bottom and front panels will require rework. I will likely have to put an overlay plasticard sheet on the bottom panel for a clean fit with the top.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Dry fitting the roof parts of the model. Looking good. These will be installed at the very end of the build, likely with a device to take them off and on for maintenance, something I missed dearly with the M7 Priest Build. The inside is quite roomier as well.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
I am pleased with the kit so far. The shape is beautiful.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Fabulous work Mr Louis
Ad Lav
Captain