M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This is the start of my latest build, a 1/16 scale M-113A1 ACAV Armored Personal Carrier in Vietnam war markings.

I have always been fascinated by the Vietnam war. Between the clarity of WW2 and the professionalism of modern Nato, the Vietnam war and its conscript army of the 60s allows the modeller to dress up a vehicle like a Gypsy wagon and get away with it as being realistic. Can't do that on anything else and this difference makes this era appealing to some, appalling to others.

The M-113 is also fascinating to me. When I was younger, I have build 10 of Tamiya 1/35 scale M-113 in all variants provided by Verlinden conversion kits. It is inconceivable that main RC tank makers have not realised the sale potential of this basic little vehicle that can be derived in N versions. That explains why I have 12 Shermans but will only ever have 1 Leopard II, 1 Abrams, 1 Challenger II...

The base for the model will be the Ludwigs shell kit in plasticard, along with the few available accessories, meaning the rest needs to be scratch built. The strait armor plates of the M-113 should allow for a relatively easy project. Two of my old 1/35 kits and a bunch of references will guide me through it.
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
The base model is 65EU and consist of the following 4 plasticard sheets. I have compared the size of the main parts against the 1/35 kit and the Ludwigs kit dimensions are perfectly accurate for 1/16 scale. Angles are good and other than a few items that I noticed, it seems to be a very good base.
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
The kit is designed for Taigen suspension with torsion blades. Since these are difficult to find now, the options were to adapt it to latest Taigen Panzer III torsion bars (somehow) or to contact Ludwigs and see what they can offer. In the end, instead of cannibalizing a nice Taigen Pz III chassis like I was planning to, I decided to order a 3 part Taigen suspension arrangement that was offered to me by Ludwigs for 25Eu.
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Also available from Ludwigs are the M113 sprocket (resin/metal) and Idler wheels (3d printed) for 33 and 20eu, these look very good and accurate. They fit the Heng Long Panzer III tracks. Ok, these are not exactly like the original T-130 tracks of the M113 but there is no other alternatives of that size.
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Also part of my plans is the Verlinden ACAV conversion kit. Yes I know, this is in 1/15 scale and designed to fit their static resin kit. I have determined the parts are technically just a few mm to large but I think I can reduce the parts a bit to help with the fit to 1/16. It is also impossible to find 1/16 scale M60 MG on the market so this is the only alternative. After being very rare, this Acav conversion kit came back in quantity this year and can be purchased for $20 on ebay (on sale at one point for 14$). Someone must have found an inventory... I grabbed 2 because Verlinden has closed and those M60 with PE parts seem like a good deal.
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
Ludwigs M113 Acav
More parts will be arriving soon, such as the road wheels. This should be interesting...

The fun starts here.

Regards, Louis
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by midlife306 »

Hi Louis, looks a very interesting build, I'll be following it very closely!!!!
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Excellent. Always wanted to do one of these!!

Watching with interest.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

My friend it appears you have raised the bar once again this will be very interesting
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

As an icon of the Vietnam war, I’ve always wondered why more of these haven’t been done in RC. Looking forward to seeing how this works out.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Afternoon,
Mostly because all we have had in years past ( except for the incredibly expensive and rare types ) was this 1/18 jobbie with no working suspension.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
BEV M113.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

A source of detailed bits perhaps?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I scratch built one a few years back, I built it to be watertight and it was tested in water. The tracks provide the propulsion as there are no propellers etc. I really like the look of them, so looking forward to seeing how this one comes along. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

After the initial step of separating all the parts from their plasticard sheets and their preparation, construction can start right away. The parts require limited preparation in comparison to resin kits, just need to cut the links to the sheet and sand them a bit. It is my first plasticard model and I must say it is quite pleasant. Parts are strait, strong and the interlocking mechanism ensures solid joints. However, this interlocking method will require a lot of putty and many sanding phases later on to ensure smooth surfaces everywhere, otherwise they will show and destroy the look of the model. Be aware that it is technically possible to put parts upside down or on the wrong side so plan and double check everything before gluing them.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
I am impressed by the accuracy of the armor plate shapes, realistic thickness and dimensions.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
So far so good. Before going any further, it is important to determine and plan the installation of the gearbox and other electronics. I have selected a light Heng Long Panzer IV gearbox for the M113. I want to keep the weight to a minimum on the front suspension and this could be a really cheap arrangement if I can make it fit. Plastic gears will be good enough to drive around this little model. The holes for the sprocket shafts of the M113 are quite low and the installation of the gearbox will be non standard.

The hull is just wide enough to take them.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
After pondering the options, I think the best way will be to grind the gearbox metal at the front so that the shaft is perfectly aligned with the hole, and install the gearbox at 45 degrees like this to ensure it does not touch the first suspension arm just under it. I will also have to grind the inside of the armor plate to make room for the first plastic gear at the front to turn freely.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
It is possible that the shaft will need to be cut, they seem a bit long for the M113. Not something I look forward to.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
A Sherman gun elevation unit will be used to create a mechanism to open and close the rear ramp, something I really want to have on my M113. Having no large turret and big gun, the ramp going up/down is the obvious choice to bring some action to the model. That will take some engineering as the ramp will also be the main access to the electronics and battery. Secondary access will be through the trap on the top.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
And a standard Heng Long turret rotation unit will be used to rotate the small M113 M2 .50 Cal ACAV turret. They will also be lights in the front and rear.
Ludwigs M113 APC
Ludwigs M113 APC
Quite a pleasant experience so far.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very impressive LouisI see the building bug has got you bad! I've always wanted to construct one of these style kits with the plasticard. Keep up the great work. Love the mechanical door Mechanism.

What is your glue of choice for this kit?
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Modern Builds”