Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

Post by Soeren »

Hi there, I bought a Taigen "late" Tiger last year. Now I figured it had to be improved. As the turret is all metal, that somewhat limits my options in refitting the details like cupola, vent, politics, etc. Also the late would need a turret roof mod, as well as a collar.around etc. We will see.
First idea was to add a Aber mid detail kit. This includes optics, but from my experience with the Panther, the Taigen slots for the optics are too narrow. At least the kit already offers a lot of detail additions and should improve the tank. I have to look deeper into this.
Another option would be just to go with a mid Tiger with steel wheels.

Any thoughts and precautions will be appreciated.
Last edited by Soeren on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soeren

Re: Tiger build planning

Post by Soeren »

As unspectacular as it gets. And the trusty 1/35th scale test model of course. This time it is an AFV Club Tiger late, primed and ready for a decision.
Attachments
WP_20171017_18_36_04_Pro[2634].jpg
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Maybe start wil the steel wheels and see how you feel about it. Once they are on, it might confirm what else you want to do. Find an image of a late that you like and see what you feel must be included.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

That is a good idea. Might start from that point.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

After thinking it through. I have made the decision to get me another "reference kit" The Academy late has the appropriate markings to try. Together with the Armoramas review plus corrections it might end up acceptable. The option is for a green knight and tri tone camo as well... We will see.
Attachments
Tiger-I-505.jpg
Tiger-I-505.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Howdy Folks.

There were some things incoming today and the builds will start soon. Builds...yes, because in the end with will be 4 Tigers in here. Two in 1/35th scale and two in 1/16th.

How´s that? Well, I went for the HB Tiger top and turret for the RC version on the Taigen lower, because of the better Turret. Inspired by Mr Wolfs build, although it will be much different, so no worries.
Also the HB top has some better details, although not in all places, compared to the Taigen/HL upper. But it also has the option for specifically designed add on parts.

So it will be the HB Top Taigen lower RC Tiger late, the HL/Taigen Top HB lower mid Tiger. And the two late Tiger in 1/35th scale.

Here is what I got so far. Some more bits and pieces incoming. For the connection between the top/lower of the different brands, strong magnets might be usefull to securely connect the two parts.

Stay tuned
Attachments
WP_20171025_18_29_01_Rich.jpg
WP_20171025_17_47_32_Rich.jpg
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Following along. I have another Tiger to do here soon ( my own early Tamiya ) after a 1/6 Stuart and an M16 build. Inspiration and tips on how to do better are always things I enjoy.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Wow this I's very interesting. I will be following along closely. So nice to see all these unique versions of the tiger with the upgrades and part options
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

I am interested to see the forthcoming as well...

Still waiting for the turret insides form rctankelectronics, then I will see whether the ABER Tiger barrel is an option.

I got the Academy kit today with the paint schemes. Idea is to build everything top to bottom. So starting with turrets, until those are painted, then go to the hulls.

We´ll see.
Attachments
Academy Tiger.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The first progress, turret roof modification. 1mm styrene added to the big boy and amended some features according to the Armorama review for the Academy Tiger. The scaled drawing from Tiger1info doesnt match the HB Tiger though, but after adding the weld lines everything should be fine.

Just as a side note. The 505 No 300 would be a mid Tiger with steel wheels. Interesting now that i went with the other number of the same Abteilung. The 300 would be included in the Academy set as well, funny.

Good thing though. Both had the large muzzle brake. So the Aber early barrel should be alright. :thumbup:
Attachments
Turret roof mods.jpg

Return to “Other Builds”