WW2 Wooden Guard Tower

Marco Peter
Sergeant

WW2 Wooden Guard Tower

Post by Marco Peter »

I wanted a guard tower but none of the images on the web matched the image in my head, so I simply started building using Balsa-wood, this is what it turned out to be!

I've been playing around with balsa-wood bits for hours, cursing my miscalculations and the sslow drying time of wood glue, so I switched to superglue haha!

Since I had nothing to work from, all I tried to do is use my logic. Adding support beams and deciding on the sizes. In the end it turned out to be a rather small tower, close to 1:18 if soldiers were to actually use it.

The ladder was added at the end, I realised there was no way to get up there haha!
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: WW2 Wooden Guard Tower

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Add a searchlight and/or machine gun and it will be complete. Looks good, though the rungs of the ladder could be a bit thinner.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Looks great! Thanks for posting. I am planning to build one with working searchlight and machine gun.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Looks great! Thanks for posting. I am planning to build one with working searchlight and machine gun.
Really cool! I did add a machine gun, but certainly not working!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

That MG looks great. Where can I buy some? Hope are plastic so I can install leds on it.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:That MG looks great. Where can I buy some? Hope are plastic so I can install leds on it.
Nope, metal one, took a long time to sand and paint. used a very small drill for the muzzle.

I'm a happy man. 8)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That looks fantastic, Marco. I hope you won't mind if I shamelessly and flagrantly copy all your hard work and build a few like that for myself. @) @)

I built one a couple years ago, you can see it on the left in this photo, but I always felt like it was too big. It would measure 12'x12' in full size, and once you put a figure in there it just seems too big. I like the smaller size of yours, the way you have the ladder running up the middle, and the slanted roof would be much easier to make. I could use the same shingle technique I did on mine, using 500 grit sandpaper to make rows of shingles. It's actually a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

You never did say, where did you get that great metal machine gun?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Lovin' the Indiana Jones vehicles but mostly the PAK! :-)

The metal MG34 is a very cheap one actually, like can be found here: http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index.ph ... y/view/246 or here: http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index.ph ... w/366/2242

I'm a happy man. 8)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is the first time I've seen hagen miniatures and man, do they have some cool stuff. Decent prices, too. I can see myself placing an order with them very soon. The skull and bones is just one of the things that caught my eye, along with the early version jerry cans and the large wooden box. I also like the fact that you can get just the items you want at a couple euros each instead of having to buy a large set for a large price.

Great find, Marco.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

He is a trusted supplier, if something goes wrong he'll resend. And yes, decent prices and lot's of choice!

The skulls and bones are maybe THE most detailed accessoire he sells haha! Got it because I was strangly attracted to it, but no clue yet how to use it with my tanks haha!

I'm a happy man. 8)

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”