M-3 Lee Kit

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: M-3 Lee Kit

Post by c.rainford73 »

MichaelC wrote:Carl, one evening of work and it is looking fantastic already. Can't wait to see the rest when you can actually spend more time on them.

As I expected the Shapeway M3 wheels are a must. It cost a pretty penny but without them it just doesn't look the same.
Yes Mike the Shapeways wheels are the stars of the show at this point. So glad to have attempted this one!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

c.rainford73 wrote:The tank is so ugly it's kinda nice to look at like a Pug or bulldog or something like that.
That's a beautiful way to put it Carl, I had no idea you had such a poetic soul. :haha:

You're off to a great start with the kit, it looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm looking forward to see you bring the "coffin for seven brothers" to life!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Raminator wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:The tank is so ugly it's kinda nice to look at like a Pug or bulldog or something like that.
That's a beautiful way to put it Carl, I had no idea you had such a poetic soul. :haha:

You're off to a great start with the kit, it looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm looking forward to see you bring the "coffin for seven brothers" to life!
Ah as only a true Comrad could say, been researching the heck out of this thing and apparently many people thought it was quite formidable yet the crazy rivet system much like my early Panzer 38-t was very deadly as with all the heavy armour the rounds would hit and with limited penetration the giant rivets would break free inwards toward our seven brothers inside and ricochet everywhere cutting them to bits....Image

Kinda like ping pong meets the movie Saw.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ping-Pong meets Saw................poor buggers.

I do prefer the Lee over the Grant variant.Only out of superficial looks.
There was a Grant in the Imperial War Museum in London back in 09 when I visited, and it just looked odd.
Apparently it was one of Monty's mounts but I cant be certain.

The question begs...............how many rivets ?? :eh:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Ping-Pong meets Saw................poor buggers.

I do prefer the Lee over the Grant variant.Only out of superficial looks.
There was a Grant in the Imperial War Museum in London back in 09 when I visited, and it just looked odd.
Apparently it was one of Monty's mounts but I cant be certain.

The question begs...............how many rivets ?? :eh:
Agree that the Lee is a nicer looking tank out of the two ugly optionsImage OK Mr Bix of I must count the rivets. ...... :crazy: :noooo:
RobW

Post by RobW »

Looking forward to seeing how the bogeys turn out. And, no I'm not going to count the rivets on the Haya M3 to compare.....
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Theres 142 on the view of the right hand side !
not including the front plate as I cant make them out well enough !!
So assuming there is the same on the left, we are at 284 just for the sides !!

I always wanted to be a rivet counter............now I are one !!!! :/ :haha: :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW

Post by RobW »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Theres 142 on the view of the right hand side !
not including the front plate as I cant make them out well enough !!
So assuming there is the same on the left, we are at 284 just for the sides !!

I always wanted to be a rivet counter............now I are one !!!! :/ :haha: :crazy:
Look again, the position of the gun means it's asymmetric. 8O :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

So I've had some time today to put some effort into the M-3. One thing I credit MichaelC for is the addition of all the Shapeways parts.

I've attached some photos for reference so you can see the difference between the kit parts for the guns and the Shapeways parts.

The turret mounted gun is installed and Shapeways barrel is much better IMHO.

Decisions decisions....

Here's what I've decided with the big layer cake design of the Lee. The upper turret structure will have rotation at this point. Very limited space in the turret for recoil and elevation. The gun does elevate but that will be manually operated.

The cupola has the shapeways MG mount and hatches. I like how they have come out.

The sponson mounted large gun is the Shapeways barrel. This will have recoil servo setup and IR flash. The other trick will be servo elevation( tight fit but I'll be able to complete this part in time.)

I've been working on finishing the proper fit of the upper hull superstructure to the Heng Long chassis. Almost done with this. Will make some mounts and add magnets( along with the friction fit of the rear) and front metal latch to secure it and it will be snug.

Thanks for checking in Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Gee-whizz it is a layer-cake !
The commander in one of those must have been as busy as 'Henry the Octopus' with his arse on fire to make it all work 8O

With the different hull profiles when compared to a Sherman, how does the internal space stack up ?
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”