FEHRMANN GRUPPE TIGER 05

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
c.rainford73
Major

Re: FEHRMANN GRUPPE TIGER 05

Post by c.rainford73 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:
Soeren wrote:Following along. I have a Taigen "late" Tiger. That still has enough inaccuracies and metal Turret , making mods to the turret difficult. So I had imagined to by an early turret plastic mod that a bit and go the Fehrmann route as well.
The more I see of the german tanks, especially the earlier designs, seem to be modified -in field- to allow use in the "postapocalyptic" setting in the later months of the war. Fehrmann group is a prime example.
From all accounts by experts, the Tigers in K.G. Fehrmann were unremarkable, normal earlies but some with late steel wheels & tracks, missing many accessories, and typical of machines picked over for bits needed by combat tanks.
I have seen a more confusing Tiger with late running gear, PzIV turret bin, late cupola, and Feifel cans in white wash !!! :crazy:

The need to train crews still existed regardless of the ever more desperate strategic situation, and the Fallingbostal school must have been seen as a vital institution.
Not having operated a T1, I can only guess that the principles of fighting a T1 did not differ wildly from a T2 so the products of crew training even with the minimum of time would have been worth having these older and repaired machines in the background.
Its the mysterious numbering, the folklore of the unit being 'Fehrmann' rather than Shulze, and the interesting variations of each Tiger that seems to kindle the flames in the modeling community.

I got into the exhaust mods today. I want to have the tubes exposed with no guards fitted.
As the mounting of these by H/L is not conducive to a simple clean remodel, some alterations are required.
I filled in the screw holes on the armoured shrouds and the exhausts.
Once dry, I shaped a bit of brass tube (toobe for you left hand drivers!)and secured these into the exhausts poking into the proper outlet below the covers.
Carved out a bit of scrap to fill in the gap, filled the cavity with PVA and then super glued the strips into the voids.
I will alter the rear plate to allow correct positioning of these and texture the armoured shrouds.
Very nice Mr HermanImage These unique Tigers always have my interest. Nice exhaust work
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Now the Zim question had to be answered...................
Putty ?
Pre made stick on ?
Alternative ?

Not sure.
Got none.
Guess thats it then.........

Decided to do the hot-tip screw driver :shifty:
Had a go on the lower hull to see how it went.
Was ok, and to describe.........consistently inconsistent.
I was going for a partial factory- partial field applied look, with wear that should be normal with a well used hull/turret combo.
Im no 'Atak' but the effect will do for this kid.

All Blacks had another win, the 'Argies were harder than the back wall of a firing range, but we got there.
Life-for now-is happy.....................
Attachments
P8190026.JPG
P8190026.JPG (80.78 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
P8190025.JPG
P8190025.JPG (82.52 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
P8200027.JPG
P8200027.JPG (63.45 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
P8190024.JPG
P8190024.JPG (61.47 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
P8190023.JPG
P8190023.JPG (68.57 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Awesome, the pattern looks fantastic. Question, is it pronounced or recessed to tha background?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

It is raised, yes.
Displacing the surface has left the pattern pronounced.
The technique does 'stress relieve' the surface though, tending to bend the flat sections toward the Zim .
The sections of damaged Zim are well and truly smooth leaving the melted sections coarse and raised.

It works, yes it does
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

You ground away on the hull flats after applying the zim?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Look very convincing mateImageHow long does this whole process take? I've never tried it but like it much better than the stick on plaster type. I've seen the milliput style and yours is just as nice !!!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Soeren wrote:You ground away on the hull flats after applying the zim?
No Sir, I marked the area with a pencil and worked towards them using the edge of the screwdriver to make a partial impression.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

c.rainford73 wrote:Look very convincing mateImageHow long does this whole process take? I've never tried it but like it much better than the stick on plaster type. I've seen the milliput style and yours is just as nice !!!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Thanks Mr Rainford.
It does take a while but I'm guessing the same time as any other method.
I don't have to worry about the putty being too thick or the stick on stuff peeling off!
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

In keeping with the theme of a training tank sent to fight, the turret bin had to go.
No student tank crew I can think of has the need to store gear in a machine they are only going to be in for 5 minutes !! :eh:

The obvious issue with the elevation unit that H/L put in there can be solved by using a Taigen recoil/elevation ensemble.
Still uncertain what electronics will go in, but I have a couple of mako systems I got as part of an unfortunate estate sale deal, so one of them will go in should I only go with a multi-sound H/L system.

Sliced the bin off and filled the gap with a trusty Emirates bag tag :think:
Scored the inside to help it curve, sanded the turret interior to key gel super glue in place.
After discovering my putty has gone off in the tube, it will be filled once I get out to get more.
Once the gap is filled with putty and dry, it can sand back well enough to blend in, and the paint(in this area red primer only) will do the rest.
I may place mounting brackets on the turret in position to represent the bin taken off for use on another machine.
Attachments
P8220042.JPG
P8220042.JPG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
P8220040.JPG
P8220040.JPG (64.73 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
P8220041.JPG
P8220041.JPG (61.89 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
P8220043.JPG
P8220043.JPG (52.49 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Took the pistol port and loaders escape hatch off.
Carried on with the zim work, and got the new barrel assembly from Tank Army .
Im hanging to get this into primer !
The drivers port was replaced with a metal one(I forgot I had :{ ) and covered with filler to get the zim effect.
Its messy & disjointed, but it will run.............
Attachments
P9090009.JPG
P9090008.JPG
P9090008 (2).JPG
Goodies
Goodies
P9050051.JPG (88.1 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”