Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by Arnie_DK »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Im still surprised about everybody claiming against the latest return roller as always and nobody about the main sprochet location, which is too low in the heng long-taigen, but not in the asiatam and tamiyas.
Actually. In my review of the new Taigen, I recomended people getting the Asiatam lower hull instead, as its more acurate and easier to work with, than the new Taigen metal lower ;)

Yeah. I have all three lowers... Guess Im a Pz IV addict :P
One day, I guess I'll get the Tamiya as well :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Arnie_DK wrote:I have the Metal PzIV from Rctank.de
The return rollers are all at the same height. So yeah, they are still wrong. Basicly the entire lower hull is the exact same as the HL and plastic versions, but a lot harder to fix, since its fully cast in metal. only the wheels and suspension can be removed. Transmission cover and return roller holders are molded in.

The american version that you can get from taigentanks.com will at least have the last return roller fixed in the correct position. Imex-Eric saw to this and the pictures on their website confirms it.

If this will implemented to later european versions though... only time will tell.
Yes, I saw your review of the metal version, Arnie, and was impressed with your appraisal, videos, and garden as well! :D There's no doubt that it's a fine looking machine, with many improvements, and really quite alluring; but it still exhibits those historic flaws. At least the luggage bin has been given a makeover, however, and now looks the real deal :thumbup: ..and there's the future promise of a correctly positioned rear roller.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Here are my comparisons. All have metal road wheels/return rollers and Drive/idler wheels as well as modded metal suspension.

First of is the HL/Taigen lower in plastic, with the modified return roller.

Then we have an unmodified Asiatam Lower. No mods. Just axle supports under the hubs. Fits right in. Although the fenders on the upper hull had to be extended, in order to go over the drive wheels.

And last the new Metal Lower from taigen with no mods. Nothing at all as it cant be done, wothout a lot of cutting and grinding.

All three side by side.

If you ask me. The most accurate lower, out of the box, is actually the one from Asiatam.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:clap: Nicely done, Arnie. I agree that the Asiatam has the most accurate representation of the front drive sprocket in terms of size and position. Compare the front sprocket on this Finnish Panzer IV ausf J. with the 'G' metal end from Taigen:
Finnish Panzer IV
Finnish Panzer IV
Taigen PzIV metal ed. ausf G
Taigen PzIV metal ed. ausf G
Taigen Panzer IV ausf G metal edn.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 6874 times
The top of the drive sprocket should be in line with the tops of the first three return rollers, and not below them as on the Taigen.. :problem:
My beef with the Asiatam hull...beefs, in fact:
a. nearly 1cm too long to fit any commercially available upper hull. :-<
b. none of the fittings fitted without divine intervention, or a drill, or a reamer, and a tapping set.. :/
c. Rear section of hull is flat, but should be bevelled, as with HL and Tamiya models..
d. fitting front bearings in supplied drive covers requires almost superhuman patience, and lots of dremel grinders.. :haha: But I managed it- no idea how :eh:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

I only commentented on the lower hull ;)
The upper is a whole different story.

But actually. Except extending the front fenders I have had no problems getting the HL/Taigen upper to fit the Asiatam Lower ;)
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Top view of the same tanks, Plastic HL/Taigen lower + upper. Asiatam Lower + HL/Taigen modified fenders upper. New Taigen Metal Lower with new upper (all stock. Just a repaint)

And please ignore the paint job on the middle one (Asiatam Lower) it was my very first Panzer IV and I didnt have an airbrush :P

PS: I really like this thread! It brings some needed attention to the Panzer IV and the flaws the current models have :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Arnie_DK wrote:Top view of the same tanks, Plastic HL/Taigen lower + upper. Asiatam Lower + HL/Taigen modified fenders upper. New Taigen Metal Lower with new upper (all stock. Just a repaint)

And please ignore the paint job on the middle one (Asiatam Lower) it was my very first Panzer IV and I didnt have an airbrush Image

PS: I really like this thread! It brings some needed attention to the Panzer IV and the flaws the current models have :D
I'm actually fond of the second one tooImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

A very comprehensive write-up, Roy. It's great having all of the inaccuracies visualised like that, this thread will be a useful resource for anyone who wants to go about correcting them. Nice work!

Kudos too to Arnie for the comparisons with the running gear. I can see why the sprocket location would need compromise (for the gearboxes), but I'll be damned if I can figure out the rationale behind the return rollers and idler.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks, Arnie, Ram and others. This Forum has an ever expanding reference collection of material, and it's a pleasure to add to it. :thumbup: Arnie, I see that your Asiatam build (middle, above) exhibits the lip on the front armour glacis plate I tried so hard to avoid, as it's not there on the full scale tank, nor the Tamiya/Taigen versions. I believe Rad 'stretched' his upper hull in a similar fashion to accommodate the excess length in the Asiatam lower hull. This harks back to the thread I initiated a year ago: the one where I decided to saw the back of the alloy hull (like some sort of crazed magician... :haha: ). It might be of interest to newcomers. The Asiatam hull (love/hate relationship..) is now the right length to support a Tamiya, Taigen or Trumpeter upper..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21059&p=191023&hili ... iv#p191023
For comparative purposes, I'll post a pic tomorrow of the Tamiya Hull set against the Asiatam alloy hull. The light's not right for pics just now. If any member wants dimensions from any of these parts, just let me know.
I bought the Tamiya Pz IV hull and partial running gear sprues from Axel's Modellbau, along with the upper hull. I'd hoped to source all the major components over an extended period, to assemble a complete Tamiya Ausf J. The boxed kit is just a shade too expensive for one fit of yielding to temptation. The instalments method is likely to cost more in the long run, but it's not so traumatic 8O :D .. In the event, Axel seems unable to supply certain parts (maybe the German Tamiya
monopolists are putting zer squeeze on ihn.. :lolno: ). That being the case, plan B will be an attempt to build a Tamiya/ HL hybrid a la Painless.. :think:
Quite why the PzIV is so captivating, I really can't say: but it is :thumbup: ..It's almost as cute like the Comet... :shh: ;)
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

good thing I saw this, Im starting a Heng Long IV build. Thank you. Awesome Info :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.

Return to “Other Builds”