Mato Sherman Suspension bogie set on Heng Long Chassis?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Mato Sherman Suspension bogie set on Heng Long Chassis?

Post by BarryC »

Hi Guys,

Can the Mato Sherman suspension be fitted to the Heng Long chassis? It looks like they would operate more realistically than the HL bogie.

I can see that the Mato mounting is totally different from the HL. How is the Mato bogie held in place on the Mato hull?

I would like to us them on my Firefly.

TIA,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Mato Sherman Suspension bogie set on Heng Long Chassis?

Post by c.rainford73 »

BarryC wrote:Hi Guys,

Can the Mato Sherman suspension be fitted to the Heng Long chassis? It looks like they would operate more realistically than the HL bogie.

I can see that the Mato mounting is totally different from the HL. How is the Mato bogie held in place on the Mato hull?

TIA,
Barry
Funny you should ask....

MichealC installed these ImageImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Barry, its pretty straight forward. You can get Mato metal bogies separately, and just require a little bit of sanding on the mount. The Heng Long bogies uses two mount posts on the chassis so you just need to cut them off. I use two part epoxy and never had any issues with them coming off or anything in lots of battles.The Mato bogies however are a little wider than the the Heng Long ones so you do have to run them in a little bit if you are using Heng Long tracks.

I did it because back then there was no metal option for Heng Long Sherman lower, and I like the Mato bogies much better.

MichaelC.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

As Michael stated these are bullet proof for sure running around my yard and have hit some rocks and everything is very solid. I'm careful enough but I'm sure they could handle more.

I think MichaelC has a PhD in Rc tank conversion techniques....
Tanks alot.... :wave:
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

hi guys would this help out
heng long ones http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p57 ... _Tank.html
mato ones http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p37 ... nsion.html

the heng long are a strait fit and work as would do on the real one not rocking. the mato ones do the same only the slide in the track on the arm moves up and down when depress
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

forgebear wrote:hi guys would this help out
heng long ones http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p57 ... _Tank.html
mato ones http://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p37 ... nsion.html

the heng long are a strait fit and work as would do on the real one not rocking. the mato ones do the same only the slide in the track on the arm moves up and down when depress
Hi Dave,

Looking at the pictures and descriptions on your site is what started me trying to figure out how to mount the Mato set to the HL chassis.

I understand that the HL set are a direct swap for the plastic ones but are they sprung with two springs as I see on the Mato set? You state that they do "not rock"; so each swing arm is sprung independent of the other?

Thanks,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
BarryC wrote:How is the Mato bogie held in place on the Mato hull?
Barry
The mato hull has 6 holes in the sides the same shape as the back of the bogies, the bogies fit in the holes with a retaining spring clip that's not provided with the metal bogies.

I have both both makes of the sets of metal bogies from Dave that he's shown you, I've even got a mato rolling chassis off of Dave lol.

So, I'm guessing you'd like me to dig them out and show you their features?

Mick.
Thanks Mick, that is the explanation of "how they mount" I was looking for. So are the clips not available as separate items?

I see here on the Matomart site that there are 6 pieces shown beyond the bogies themselves but they do not look like clips or are they.
http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=971

The fact that they are designed to fit into the hull and retained by the clip causes me to wonder the same about how much metal would have to be filed away to attach them externally.

Thanks,
Barry

Last edited by BarryC on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

MichaelC wrote:Barry, its pretty straight forward. You can get Mato metal bogies separately, and just require a little bit of sanding on the mount. The Heng Long bogies uses two mount posts on the chassis so you just need to cut them off. I use two part epoxy and never had any issues with them coming off or anything in lots of battles.The Mato bogies however are a little wider than the the Heng Long ones so you do have to run them in a little bit if you are using Heng Long tracks.

I did it because back then there was no metal option for Heng Long Sherman lower, and I like the Mato bogies much better.

MichaelC.
Thanks Michael, but like Mick I'm a little confused about how much metal must be removed given they are designed to fit through the hull as opposed to mounting external as the HL bogies.

Thanks,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

c.rainford73 wrote:
BarryC wrote:Hi Guys,

TIA,
Barry
Funny you should ask....

MichealC installed these
Thanks Carl they do look good!

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

hi both sets heng long and mato work
the mato slide up and down on the arms the heng long do the same as the plastic version they work as independent but dont have the slide part that runs above the suspension arms
the plastic mato ones just rock
dave

Return to “General Questions”