Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

In time-honoured forum tradition, I'm launching into a new project before finishing my current one, the Cromwell. :P Well, the Cromwell is at the painting and testing stage, but I wanted a break, and what better than to build my very first
RC full-option Tamiya? I've been assembling the bits I need recently: the glues, the paints, the Tamiya side-cutters, and other recommended doo dahs, as well as a Futuba 'Attack' 4YWD TX/RX combo. Since Painless produced one of the definitive Tamiya builds recently- albeit the Tiger 1- I've decided to make this one a quick build. A blitz.
First the tank:
Tasty Tamiya KT package
Tasty Tamiya KT package
Can't wait to open the package..
Can't wait to open the package..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Next, the tools. I already had some choice ones from previous builds (Trumpeter razor saw and many more), but I really wanted to follow the instruction manual to the letter. That meant acquiring specific products, such as the mysterious
'rubber cement', as well as Tamiya metal primer etc. After the build, I'll see what needs upgrading. For the moment though, I want to see how good or bad the Tamiya KT is in bog standard form. :|
The Tools:
The right tools for the job- probably a bit of overkill
The right tools for the job- probably a bit of overkill
Another angle on the tools
Another angle on the tools
A problem with backlighting, and so I've added a few different shots.
Emergency tool- when all others fail
Emergency tool- when all others fail
Water of Life tool: an essential in any model Tanker's toolbox :haha: 8O 8O
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

In preparation for the Cromwell's 'field trials' (no joke in my case, as my garden's surrounded by fields :haha: ), and for access to the KT and other tanks, I've been building a ramp to enable my Tanks to get in and out of the house under their own steam- so to speak. It's almost complete. But here my sternest critic is telling me how it should be done. She's a Backseat builder: a four-legged one at that .. :haha:
So, here's the Tank-ramp:
Tank-ramp under construction
Tank-ramp under construction
This is the sort of trouble you go to, when the addiction is uncontrolled :-< :haha:
On a positive note though, the next time I break my ankle and find myself in a wheelchair again; I'll be properly prepared :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The package contents:
First, the metal bits. I'm going to clean them and spray them with Tamiya metal Primer. Them they'll get a coat of Humbrol primer from a rattle can.
KT metal bits
KT metal bits
I have to say the hull and rolling gear bits have an encouraging precision feel. That's just as well, considering the arm and a leg that Tamiya products cost! ;) I'll clean them up with some acrylic thinner, in readiness for the metal primer.
Fitting Tamiya suspension housings after priming
Fitting Tamiya suspension housings after priming
Having primed the hull, I started fitting the suspension housings, being careful to fit them the right way round. Luckily, the illustrations in the build manual are clear and logical :thumbup: (unlike me sometimes :haha: )
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now, it's time to fit the torsion bar stays. They're a bit fiddly for ageing fingers, and require a little dexterity and care to fit, but fit well when you have the knack. :think:
Fitting the Torsion bar stays
Fitting the Torsion bar stays
Torsion bars fitted
Torsion bars fitted
The torsion bars won't fit if you're a millimetre or two out when pushing them in. They also require a tricky twist to lock them in. After a few successful inserts, the rest go in with increasing ease, without the need to resort to the Malt Whiskey
'special tool' and choice expletives :lolno: :haha:
Right, well that's enough for today....
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:There can never be enough tools ;)

Love the tank ramp, will they have their own mat to wipe their fee. . . Tracks?

Well, can't expect a Scot not to have a bottle nearby ;) love the emergency tool excuse :haha:

That looks a rather nice kit you have there, thank you for sharing, dead jealous. . . . But at least I got in a dig about the booze ;) LOL.

Now, can I ask a favour please. Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of those tortion bars?

Mick.
The tamiya ones (unlike taigen) are flat not round
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Given the standard of previous work Roy, if this ends up as a blitz build I might eat my hat ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
tomhugill wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote: Now, can I ask a favour please. Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of those tortion bars?

Mick.
The tamiya ones (unlike taigen) are flat not round
Oh, ok, thank you Tom.
Yep, if you click on the pic to enlarge it, Mick, you'll see that the bars are actually flat. They're probably about 8mm across I'd guess, but never thought to measure them. The key thing here is that they make for a precise fit. Almost too
precise to fit :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tomhugill wrote:Given the standard of previous work Roy, if this ends up as a blitz build I might eat my hat ;)
:D , you might well be right there Tom :haha: But..just in case there's a spark of 'Blitz' here, I'd invest in an edible hat, if I were you ;) Working from detailed instructions on a well documented model (Youtube and elsewhere), is a world part from almost making-it-up-as-you- go along with Chris' Ludwig kit... :problem: Mind you, I'm beginning to love the look of the Cromwell, and to appreciate the detailing it has to offer modellers :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now for the wheels...
Priming metal wheel parts
Priming metal wheel parts
I don't happen to have a decent rattle can of red-oxide primer hanging around, so after using Tamiya metal primer, I opted for this fetching shade of pink primer (Tamiya surface primer) :P
Pretty in Pink
Pretty in Pink
After priming the plastic parts of the running gear, I painted them with Tamiya Dunkelgelb:
A dose of dunkelgelb..
A dose of dunkelgelb..
The weather's been a tad unpredictable lately (yeah..what's new , eh?), so I've been driven into my old shed in order to do a spot of painting.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”