Battery Charging

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HarryJ
Recruit

Battery Charging

Post by HarryJ »

Hi
I have just purchased a heng long king tiger tank, although had tiger tanks for some years.
Need to know how long to charge the battery for, used to be 12 hours for the old ones.
Instructions says 2 hours for the new one, supposed to have a light on the charger but it has not.

Thanks
HarryJ
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Battery Charging

Post by jarndice »

Hi Harry, My advise would be to place your Heng Long/ Taigen/ Torro Charger carefully back into its box and place it in the deepest darkest part of your cellar/basement or up in your attic and forget you ever saw it :haha:
12 hours to charge a model tank battery, you can charge a full size truck battery in 8. :wtf:
Then get a Multi-type Battery programmable charger, they are not expensive and are easy to use, :thumbup:
If you do have a problem with it go to "U" Tube and type in the name of your charger then sit back and you will soon discover all there is to know about it,
It will be safer and quicker and add many useful hours to the life of your battery. :clap:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The battery should have its capacity in MaH marked on it. Also the charger should have its output on it in mA. Divide the battery capacity by the charger output rate and the answer is how long it takes for a full charge.

What type of battery is it - the usual Ni-mH?

If you have any doubts, post the information detail on here and I or someone else will work it out for you.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
HarryJ
Recruit

Post by HarryJ »

It is the battery and charger that came with the tank. 1700maH battery Ni-Cd and 400mA charger. If I have worked this out right it is 31/2 hours

Thanks
Harry J
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Sound good to me, but I would suggest that you extend the time a little to allow for energy loss during charging. Have a read of the charging section in the Wikipedia entry here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2 ... um_battery.

Is it an old tank? I did not think that they had used Ni-Cads for some time. Be prepared to replace the battery - NiCads are notorious for retaining a memory. Ideally you should not recharge a battery that is only partly discharged.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Isn't 1700÷400=4.25 so, four and a quarter hours for full charge?

Mick.
I didn't check the maths :{ . Reading up, you definitely need to overcharge the battery.
Richard
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you use a Programmable Charger you put in the details of the battery and the Charger tells you how long it will take and sounds an alarm when it is done.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HarryJ
Recruit

Post by HarryJ »

Sorry charger is 500 not 400 thanks for all your help
It is a new battery and tank
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I bought this charger from the Component shop, and it's very dependable. The Vapex VTE500P (and no, you can't smoke it .. :D ) I like the fact that it can charge even fairly beefy tank batteries, and has an LED to indicate charging status (cheap ones don't :thumbdown: ). It also goes into trickle mode when the battery is full. Overcharging the battery with this model, therefore isn't an issue. :thumbup:
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/intellig ... packs.html
Oh, yes, reviews of this unit are generally favourable. A value for money product (and no, I don't have shares in the company :lolno: )
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”