1/16 RC Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

1/16 RC Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This is the start of a pet project of mine, an M7 Priest Self-Propelled howitzer in 1/16 scale.

In my usual style, I am looking at building the most accurate kit I can make, with a limited budget, during a one to two month timeframe.

The base for the conversion is the Vandra resin conversion kit that became available this year. I have built their M10, M3 and Firefly so I know what to expect. Although challenging, they have brought me great satisfaction so I am looking forward in this attempt at their M7.

Looking at the conversion kit, the first task is to determine what we are dealing with. At first sight, it looks like a Priest alright but the key question in order to build an accurate model is whether it is an M7 early, Mid, Late, or M7B1 or M7B2.

Let's look at each sections of the kit and compare against references that I have.

Hull: It's easy to see that this is not an Early model because it has the hinged armored plates on the top sides. The hole on the left side is a weird design by the vendor, the plug is attached to the ammo bins. This is something that I think could have been avoided as it creates filling work for nothing. The hinges will require fine tuning. I have not decided yet if I will use a Heng Long or Mato chassis, I have both available. Looks like Heng Long could be a better fit.
Vandra M7 Priest hull
Vandra M7 Priest hull
Front: Further analysis required to determine if the shape and all the angles of the parts are accurate. Seems to me some angles will require rework. There is fine welding all over and the parts are free of air bubbles, which is great.
Vandra M7 Priest front
Vandra M7 Priest front
Vandra M7 Priest hull
Vandra M7 Priest hull
Rear hull: Unless I am mistaken, this is the rear of a M4A4 Sherman tank, same basic shape as their Firefly kit. So, the use of a M4 Sherman rear hull instead of the M3 would identify this section as belonging to an M7B1 but it should have the engine grills of a M4A3. For an accurate M7 Mid or Late, the rear full would be different, based on the M3 with a smaller engine grill on top, 2 smaller grills on the side and a totally different arrangement at the rear. So, this area will definitely need total rework no matter what Priest model this kit ends up becoming. It would have been much simpler for the vendor to use their M3 rear hull as a base...

The 2 air filters would fit an M7 based on the M3 hull, not an M7B1 which uses the M4A3 hull. The side storage bins are the same as the M3 kit. Some other small parts like the hooks do not fit the Priest. The rear plate is missing in my kit, no big deal.
Vandra M7 Priest rear hull
Transmission cover: This is the 3 piece transmission cover of an Early or Mid version. A Late or M7B1 version would have the Sherman 1 piece cover.
Vandra M7 Priest transmission cover
Vandra M7 Priest transmission cover
Fighting compartment floor and rear: The floor has a double diamond tread plate, it should be a smaller single diamond pattern. The rear arrangement seems to fit pictures of the M7B1. It has parts for a deep pulpit and an M2 gun is provided. The area for the driver is just one big hole so this will require brainstorming to fill the area with something that is not too bad looking. Many small parts will need to be scratch built for the interior. The ammo bin section on the right is missing 2 ammo slots, I will need to fix that.
Vandra M7 Priest fighting compartment
Vandra M7 Priest m2
Vandra M7 Priest m2
The Gun: basic parts are provided for the 105mm M2A1 gun. I can see many parts that will need to be redone or improved. There is no gun sight provided, which is quite annoying because they are difficult to make. I saw some parts on Shapeways that will help bridging the gaps in this area. This is definitely not an M7B2 with the raised gun. Ammos are provided but they are not in their container.
Vandra M7 Priest Gun
Vandra M7 Priest Gun
So, this leave me to ponder whether to make an M7 Mid or an M7B1 model. I think the least work would be to make it an M7B1, but the thing is that I really wanted a Priest based on the M3, with M3 road wheels, early suspension and 3 piece transmission cover. If I just wanted a tank that looks like an M7, it can be left as it is, but I really want an accurate one.

So, seems we are dealing for a composite Priest kit... decisions will have to be made as to what it will be.

In any cases, this is a good base to start with and building this kit into an accurate model will just be a bit more complicated than anticipated. I will likely need the help of a 1/35 model to guide me in the conversion.

The fun starts here.

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

Post by Will01Capri »

Wow, the detail. This i am convinced is going to look great no matter which way you go.
I am now wondering if the same company do an M37 kit for converting an M41!
Good luck
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I decided to make a Mid production M7 version. I will give it early bogies, early spoked road wheels, 3 piece transmission cover and the M3 rear hull adapted to the M7. After analysis, I selected the Heng Long M4A3 chassis over the Mato.

First step is to completely strip the chassis, including removal of the battery box. The gearbox needs to be lowered at the rear so the mountings at the back were removed and the gearbox will be installed inclined towards the rear. The back screws will go strait into the lower hull.
Vandra M7 Priest conversion
Access to the electronics will be available from the bottom through the former battery trap.
Be aware that the Heng Long Sherman gearbox coming with the chassis is too high for this conversion. It needs to be replaced by a lower Heng Long Panzer IV gearbox or equivalent. Good thing I had a spare one or I would have needed to wait. The front and top of the gearbox metal frame needs to be cut with a saw and then grinded smooth in order to fit the 3 piece resin early transmission cover over them. Be careful with the metal grinding and wear protection.
The transmission cover is installed. No problems.
I started to dry fit the floor and hull to examine the overall look and feel and determine needed adjustments. I must admit that I am so far very satisfied. This conversion should go pretty fast.
This is the driver position on the left. There are no parts provided to cover this area. Normally, the driver seat would be positioned behind the window but the gearbox is there... So, I will likely just cover this area with plasticard, maybe simulate the top of a seat and keep the area dark. I'll see.
Need to determine if there is enough room to manage gun rotation and elevation. It would be tricky and not sure it is worth the effort.

Regards, Louis
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Interesting looking build, I'll be following along. :thumbup:

I have the Vandra Jagdpanzer IV kit in my shed. Not a bad looking kit but the barrel traverse and elevation is going to take some thinking so please feel free to do that one next so I can shamelessly copy your good work. ;)
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Louis, what I did on my M7 scratchbuild with my driver is chop his legs and lower body off and glued him to the plate over the gearbox so it still looked as though he was sat there. For the traverse I used a mini servo which might fit in the back of one of your gearboxes, looks like there's some space there. I found that elevation took a lot of work and I'll be interested to see how you manage that.

Anyway good luck with the build, it looks a well turned-out kit.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Thank you for your encouragements.

Now I'll take a few days to plan the next moves. References on the M7 are few. Some restored vehicles are composites or have post war modifications, so need to be careful.

I did some dry fitting of the gun base parts and location, and noticed a few things that I will need to correct.

In the picture below, i can see that the gun is located too much on the right. The right trail (leg) should have an angle and not be strait parallel down. Also, as per reference pictures, the part on which the cradle of the gun is mounted should not be raised like this on top of the sides, It should be flush with the sides. Playing with the height of this part will impact the height of the gun in relation to the upper body and gun shields, I will need to be careful and plan quite a few steps in advance. I will also need to redo the floor and rear wall of the fighting compartment for proper configuration for a M7 Mid production.
Vandra M7 Priest fighting compartment dry fitting
The trails are too long in relation to the other parts/references and will need to be reduced.
I will need to apply heat to the resin of the trails to give them the right shape. They are too strait, they needs more angles going down. I'll see how successful I can do that with the provided parts, otherwise I will need to scratch build new ones.
The resin upper body will likely need to be permanently fixed to the chassis because it is fragile and has a natural tendency to warp on its own. Great care will be required when positioning it.
The gun cradle parts were simplified. Decisions will have to be made as to the extent of the rework to make them more accurate or look better. The gun elevation and teeth for example are too low.
Regards,
Louis
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Louis, I think the gun mount position may also be too far forward. It might be worth your while downloading a blueprint - here is one which looks pretty good
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprin ... iage_1942/
If you scale that and print it 1/16 size I think you would find it enormously useful - that's what I did when I did my scratch build.

Good luck with the build, it looks as though it will be challenging.

Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I also used this info - there are good examples of camouflage
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/M7_Priest.php

Alwyn

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thanks Alwyn,

yeah, I will need that. I am thinking about building the Dragon 1/35 kit as well. Compared to a tank turret on top of an upper hull, an open fighting compartment like this has a lot more variables at play.

Louis
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I don't know what value it might have for your build but this is my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14394&hilit=m7+priest

Hope it's useful
Alwyn

Return to “Other Builds”