HL Tiger one project start

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Re: HL Tiger one project start

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Tread Flintstone wrote:Wow! Tanks looks great!

Only suggestion would have been to paint the treads dark brown to simulate rust and after running the tank the clean metal treads would show through on the raised areas. I've seen pics of tanks whose treads have that exact look. I guess it's easy to take the treads off and spray some dark rust/brown on them if you wished to.

But other than that ....you did a fantastic job on the camo!! :thumbup:
Many thanks. :thumbup: ;D , yeah I was thinking of the rust spray as well but the Walmart I went to as well as 2 auto shops didn't have it :crazy: so I just said "Screw it", Ill use what I got for now. The paint will probably wear out and eventually it will just look like its been running in the sand. I'm calling this one Rommel’s Afrika Korps Tiger 1. I am still going to add some details, decals and some writing. Just going through some books I have for reference first.
Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Next time you get some metal tracks, give some gun blue a try. You will most likely have to go to a gun store to get it, but it looks great. It'll take most if not all of a bottle to do a set of tracks. The nice thing is that as you run the vehicle, the blueing will wear off in a realistic pattern.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

capt midnight wrote:Next time you get some metal tracks, give some gun blue a try. You will most likely have to go to a gun store to get it, but it looks great. It'll take most if not all of a bottle to do a set of tracks. The nice thing is that as you run the vehicle, the blueing will wear off in a realistic pattern.

Bill
Hmm gotcha thanks for the tip. :thumbup: I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to re paint the metal tracks I have now, when the paint on these wears out. I'll see how things turn out.
Tread Flintstone
Private

Post by Tread Flintstone »

I didn't know they made a rust spray paint!
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

The camo looks fantastic! Great job. :clap:

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Really impressed with the camoflouge color and pattern. Very nice work
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

:thumbup: Nice result D:
For th tracks, you can easily repaint them or just give them a dark gray washband seal with some clear coat. Mine were primed black and then sprayed with Panzer Aces track primer, which is a gray-brown. So no problem to weather them in steps. Those track take various layers of paint.
Tread Flintstone
Private

Post by Tread Flintstone »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Tread Flintstone wrote:I didn't know they made a rust spray paint!
In that case you'd be surprised what colours you can get, there's even a nipple pink believe it or not lol.

Looking good DD :thumbup:

I'm sure you can buy a weathering paint set for tanks that has a pot or two of rust colours.

Mick.
Anyone paint their tank nipple pink? :wtf:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

i would avoid doing the tracks in a rust colour for one rather simple reason...tank tracks don't go rusty, and definitely not during the short time between it leaving the factory and getting blown to pieces. Best option is to spray them in grey primer, then apply random stripey wet coats of black, grey, burnt umber, the colours merge and look more natural that way.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Added some hand painted stuff late last night.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”