HL Tiger one project start

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

HL Tiger one project start

Post by foxtrotraptor »

So I finally started my project for my Tiger 1. I decided to clean it all up and add some color to it, first I did a primer coat of flat dark gray then went with Desert sand camo spray. Letting it dry today then tomorrow I will start the camo pattern, I dont have a air brush so I am going to do the camo by hand. Here is my progress so far.

First the gray primer:

Then Desert Sand:

Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: HL Tiger one project start

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Raptor I really like how you took the tank apart and made sure you did a proper paint job. FYI here in the states we have Harbor Freight tool stores as you know.

I bought a very inexpensive airbrush setup from them for tinkering around. I figured it would last a couple of paint jobs and I'd throw it away....

Four years later I still have it.

I believe the set with the mini air compressor was about $60 us. I've since graduated to a better airbrush but I still use the hose and compressor from harbor freight to this day.

It's actually quite easy and very fun to use. The trick is keeping the paint thinned properly and keep the air brush clean

Aside from my KV-2 from Mr Juckenburg's collection All of my tanks have been painted with the same inexpensive air compressor and airbrush.

I've seen some folks do incredible work with a paintbrush too. I can apply pigments and washes with my paint brush but camo scheme designs are too hard for me with a paint brush.

Have fun
Tanks alot.... :wave:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Carl is quite right. I have the same compressor and it's really great. It's super quiet and has a pressure shut off switch so that it doesn't run all the time. I hooked it up to a home made air log and have 3 airbrushes hooked up to it. Makes it quick and easy to switch between edging and filling in.

I'm finishing up a gray Totenkopf HL Tiger now so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this project.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Yeah Ill see how things go. Tomorrow Ill start the camo, Air brush sounds nice and I think one day I will get one. I ahve a harbor freight close to me Ill swing by one day and check it out
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
foxtrotraptor wrote:So I finally started my project for my Tiger 1.
Well done you DD. I'll be following your progress. And it looks like you're on the right track so far :thumbup:

Mick.

Thank you hopefully I dont mess it up :wtf:
Tread Flintstone
Private

Post by Tread Flintstone »

Looks like you are off to a great start.

I'm a bit surprised you painted the treads as well...Is that accurate? (I really don't know)

If you dont have an airbrush set up, you can still rattle can spray the camo if you carefully place stencils over the tank. Offsetting the stencils 1/8" off the tank with spacers will give you the soft edge. But of course there are tons of different camo patterns, so I'm sure you have options to match your supplies.

Good luck! :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice idea with the stencils for the rattle cans. Might be a great way for mr Raptor to achieve the camoflouge pattern he desires.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Tread Flintstone wrote:Looks like you are off to a great start.

I'm a bit surprised you painted the treads as well...Is that accurate? (I really don't know)

If you dont have an airbrush set up, you can still rattle can spray the camo if you carefully place stencils over the tank. Offsetting the stencils 1/8" off the tank with spacers will give you the soft edge. But of course there are tons of different camo patterns, so I'm sure you have options to match your supplies.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thank you. As far as painting the tracks I doubt they painted them in real life but I had some left over paint so I figure painting the tracks would look better than the shiny metal color they come in. I thought of the stencil as well but I'm too lazy to do that lol. I did it free hand with a combination of a small brush and a sponge, I used dark brown for the camo. Pics coming up in a min :thumbup:
foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Post by foxtrotraptor »

Tread Flintstone
Private

Post by Tread Flintstone »

Wow! Tanks looks great!

Only suggestion would have been to paint the treads dark brown to simulate rust and after running the tank the clean metal treads would show through on the raised areas. I've seen pics of tanks whose treads have that exact look. I guess it's easy to take the treads off and spray some dark rust/brown on them if you wished to.

But other than that ....you did a fantastic job on the camo!! :thumbup:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”