Some help with the scale.

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
Oxotnik
Recruit

Re: Some help with the scale.

Post by Oxotnik »

I'm an warbirder primarily. Just for reference here are some wingspans that'd be 1/16 scale:

Spitfire: 700 mm
P-51: 700 mm
Me-109: 620 mm
FW-190: 660 mm
ME-262: 800 mm

Hobbyking and FMS have a line of warbirds in the 900mm range (which are usually built for speed). The Horizon Hobby Ultra Micros are in the 450mm range (~1/25 scale). So, you're going to be really hard pressed to find a 1/16 RC warbird off the shelf.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi "OX" My smallest wingspan warbird (FW-190 Butcherbird) is 1200mm but my favourite which strictly speaking is not a warbird although my experience with it was in the service is a 1500mm wing span DHC 2 Beaver which fly's like a dream and with a chip fitted into the flap wiring makes STOL (and the flaps) totally controllable.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hello Oxotnik and welcome, its funny you are resurrecting the thread, because today I just planned to do it.

I must say thanks to some mod in this forum (I dont remember who, but he had a nick with green letters back in the day) I found the marvelous Guillows kits. So there are some warbirds on 1:16 scale. The ones highly recommended are the ones with the "Laser cut" name on it. The cut its so clean that its a pleasure to assemble.

Another coincicende, just today I just begun building a P 40 which I plan to RC it, with sounds and lights. I will keep you posted when I have news, but its going to take me some time. But I have my oeyes over a BF109 too.

Good to have you here, Oxotnik, because I know I am going to ask you a lot of questions. First of all to have some tips about how to install the servos in the plane and make them unoticeable (I mean, with no hornes in the ailerons and so on)
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

In all modesty, I think it could have been me. I remember posting about a 1/16 Messerschmitt Bf109 way back.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Oxotnik
Recruit

Post by Oxotnik »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:. Wow Mr Oxotnik, what a refreshing change from the last new member, straight in for the kill with useful information :thumbup: glad you could spare the bytes ;)

Mick
Mick,
I hope to occasionally be able to post some useful information. :-)
I'm really passionate about model warbirds and could blather on for days about them.

Chuck
Oxotnik
Recruit

Post by Oxotnik »

jarndice wrote:Hi "OX" My smallest wingspan warbird (FW-190 Butcherbird) is 1200mm but my favourite which strictly speaking is not a warbird although my experience with it was in the service is a 1500mm wing span DHC 2 Beaver which fly's like a dream and with a chip fitted into the flap wiring makes STOL (and the flaps) totally controllable.
Shaun.
Shaun,
I love Würgers!! I have three Fw-190 A models in 1100mm. My favorite prop warbird is probably the Dora, the FW-190D9. I have an ME-262 Schwalbe in 1500mm, with ducted fans. Talk about a beautiful bird! Wow! I also love my 1600mm P-38L... grace in the skies. My newest addition to my fleet is a 1600mm Spitfire. With those big elliptical wings, it looks huge. I tried to attach a couple photos, but being the newbie that I am to this site, I'm not sure that I've figured out how to do it. Here's a link to a YouTube video of a recent flight of my Schwalbe: https://youtu.be/Zr4DeGwkJP8

Hope that I'm not going too far off-topic. I can blather on for days about these beautiful aircraft.

Chuck
Last edited by Oxotnik on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oxotnik
Recruit

Post by Oxotnik »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hello Oxotnik and welcome, its funny you are resurrecting the thread, because today I just planned to do it.

Good to have you here, Oxotnik, because I know I am going to ask you a lot of questions. First of all to have some tips about how to install the servos in the plane and make them unoticeable (I mean, with no hornes in the ailerons and so on)
Thanks, Sgt. Schuhart. I'll be happy to chat about building techniques. As you've already realized, there are some real challenges in completely encasing servos, pushrods, and control horns within a wing.

Chuck
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Chuck, the site you are on is for R/C Aircraft so you are nowhere near off topic, :thumbup:
just keep it coming, :clap:
I bless the day that the Communist country that is China discovered the capitalist running dogs economic system and decided to export affordable R/C Armour and Aircraft to the unenlightened folks in the West :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Thanks mate, Im going to send you a private message right now.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Oxotnik
Recruit

Post by Oxotnik »

jarndice wrote:Chuck, the site you are on is for R/C Aircraft so you are nowhere near off topic, :thumbup:
just keep it coming, :clap:
I bless the day that the Communist country that is China discovered the capitalist running dogs economic system and decided to export affordable R/C Armour and Aircraft to the unenlightened folks in the West :haha: :haha:
Shaun.
Yep, the market has exploded due to Chinese manufacturing! I think that the EU has to pay more for Chinese products (when ordered direct from China) than the US, due to the VAT. I have a feeling that our VAT equivalent is not too far off though.

The downside... Chinese quality. You get what you pay for. Soft metal screws, crappy servos, weak solder joints, and the list goes on. For most of the components in a Chinese-made kit, you can't even get specs, other than the very basics. In ground RC vehicles, it's not so bad. The replacements are cheap. If the car or tank stops working, it just stops. In the RC aircraft world, we have to try to screen these latent failures out before take off. Once in the air, the loss of a speed controller, receiver, or servo could be disastrous. My closest call with disaster was when I was flying a 1.1m FW-190A. For takeoff, I'd just advanced the throttle, when I heard a screech. I stopped the takeoff, and when I bumped the throttle again to bring the Würger back to the pits,it started smoking from the battery compartment. A solder joint on the speed controller had broken and had shorted. Luckily, only the speed controller had died. If the ESC short had happened 15 seconds later, I'd have been airborne and would probably have watched my poor Butcherbird dive to its death.

Return to “RC Aircraft”